Developing Trans* Competence - A Guide

Can you be more specific about which rules you mean? Because the rules that come to mind that are different between bhikkhus and bhikkhunis seem fairly sexist, eg. 8 garudhammas. Most other vinaya rules have parallels for men and women, which make sense to me, such as rules about private conversations, being in rooms together, where a man/women can touch, etc, etc,. So which gender differentiating rules should be kept?

I think this is very true, but I think it is also possible for people to legitimately and calmly speak out about what they have and are experiencing. How else will they indicate that something needs to change? Of course, as a Buddhist, cultivating hate and anger or using violence is unacceptable, but I believe it’s possible to stand up to something without hate and anger.

To be honest, as a woman, I’ve accepted that in some Buddhist circles I will always be subjected to being the lesser. What’s the point of being angry and outraged? I’d rather eat my scraps and sit alone in peace. But that doesn’t mean I’m not going to spend my time patiently and politely researching and explaining why that shouldn’t be acceptable, for me or any other ‘outsider’ who is still so very human and still wants to ‘sit close’ to the Buddha’s teaching.

2 Likes