Dhamma doodles šŸ˜

:slight_smile: maybe you can ā€˜buildā€™ one with a Dhamma doodle :boom::dizzy::zap:

I was just asking as I was wondering about sending you some art supplies :paintbrush::crayon:

7 Likes

" ākāso na katthaci patiį¹­į¹­hito"

Being even as space
Ākāsasamaį¹ Rāhula bhāvanaį¹ bhāvehi,
Develop the meditation, Rāhula, that is to be even as space,

ākāsasamaį¹ hi te Rāhula bhāvanaį¹ bhāvayato
for, Rāhula, from developing the meditation that is to be even as space,

uppannā manāpāmanāpā phassā cittaį¹ na pariyādāya į¹­hassanti.
appealing and unappealing contacts that have arisen in the mind will not take a hold there.

Seyyathā pi Rāhula ākāso na katthaci patiį¹­į¹­hito,
Just as, Rāhula, space doesnā€™t settle anywhere,

evam-eva kho tvaį¹ Rāhula ākāsasamaį¹ bhāvanaį¹ bhāvehi,
just so do you, Rāhula, develop the meditation that is to be even as space,

Ākāsasamaį¹ hi te Rāhula bhāvanaį¹ bhāvayato
for, Rāhula, from developing the meditation that is to be even as space,

uppannā manāpāmanāpā phassā cittaį¹ na pariyādāya į¹­hassanti.
appealing and unappealing contacts that have arisen in the mind will not take a hold there.

MN 62

8 Likes

Oh, :blush: thatā€™s really nice!

Well, as Ayya Aranya stated, making art, especially ā€œsilly artā€ like this, is often not much appreciated in monastic circles. So Iā€™d rather keep my whereabouts confidential.

But the SC team know where I am. So I guess you could send things to Samita and Ayya @Vimala or Ayya @Vimalanyani could forward it to me, if they are OK with that?

7 Likes

Sure. :wink:

@Linda, see samita.eu for contact details.

4 Likes

@vimalanyani
thank-you!

5 Likes

Yay! :heart_eyes:
Beautiful! :heart:ļø
Thank you so much venerable. :nerd_face:
These are very inspiring. :pray::two_hearts:

5 Likes

What!? That just doesnā€™t make sense to me, because this is how I feel after gazing at your doodles:

:relaxed: :bodhileaf: :sunglasses: :dharmawheel: :innocent: :lotus: :dolphin: :meditation: :hibiscus: :anjal: :relaxed:

Maybe itā€™s time to challenge that! Though I can imagine if youā€™re in the East it might be harder to do this.

Alsoā€¦I have counted 4 nuns popping into visibility on this thread. :bhikkhuni: :bhikkhuni: :bhikkhuni: :bhikkhuni: :bhikkhuni: For that reason alone, I am grateful. I want to ā€œseeā€ more nuns on D & D!!!

I might have a chance to teach meditation/Dhamma to a group of children soon, with your permission Ven, I would like to consider using your inspiring, funny, heart warming, touching, full-of-Dhamma doodles?

With metta

11 Likes

Dear Yodha,

Iā€™m really glad you are here on D&D! Following this thread brings a lot of joy and lightness to my heart! :heartpulse:

I very much like your latest doodle, especially the rainbow colour one! :heartpulse::tulip::blossom:

7 Likes

Could become an interesting coloring book for children (ā€œof all agesā€)!

7 Likes

Thanks everyone for your kind words! Iā€™m glad people enjoy the doodles, and that they make you happy. Some of them actually show emotions other than happiness, such as the ā€œfeeling lonelyā€ doodle, or the ā€œwithout discoverable beginningā€. I think itā€™s important that all these feelings can be expressed and appreciated.
So there will still be both happy and sad doodles in the future, be prepared! :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

Mmhm, my experience is that itā€™s harder in the West. But it depends on the place. Anyway, itā€™s fairly easy in cyberspace! :slightly_smiling_face:

Sure, feel free to use them! It would be great if you leave a little testimonial in the ā€œusing art to teach dhammaā€ thread afterwards. The more people share about this openly, the easier it gets for people creating Buddhist art!
And Iā€™m also just very interested in whether these doodles are actually useful teaching aids, or how they could be improved.

11 Likes

Very nice! Thatā€™s the first Buddha image Iā€™ve ever seen where the Buddha follows his own vinaya (shaves his head, wears the same kind of robe as all the other monastics, doesnā€™t have grotesque freakish 32 ā€œgreatā€ marks).

11 Likes

Jungle Thickets

26 Likes

And yet weirdly even the ā€œnon-happinessā€ doodles make me happy. :relaxed: Perhaps it has something to do with taking ā€œdelight in the Dhammaā€. :slight_smile:

Thatā€™s interesting! I wonder why that is?

If I do use them, I will definitely aim to do this and to provide some feedback too. Thank you so much!

5 Likes

With kindly eyesā€¦ - Kimbila, Nandiya, and Anuruddha

MN 128

ā€œSurely, venerable sir, we are living in concord, with mutual appreciation, without disputing, blending like milk and water, viewing each other with kindly eyes.ā€
ā€œBut, Anuruddha, how do you live thus?ā€
ā€œVenerable sir, as to that, I think thus: ā€˜It is a gain for me, it is a great gain for me that I am living with such companions in the holy life.ā€™ I maintain bodily acts of loving-kindness towards these venerable ones both openly and privately; I maintain verbal acts of loving-kindness towards them both openly and privately; I maintain mental acts of loving-kindness towards them both openly and privately. I consider: ā€˜Why should I not set aside what I wish to do and do what these venerable ones wish to do?ā€™ Then I set aside what I wish to do and do what these venerable ones wish to do. We are different in body, venerable sir, but one in mind.ā€
ā€œGood, good, Anuruddha. I hope that you all abide diligent, ardent, and resolute.ā€
ā€œVenerable sir, as to that, whichever of us returns first from the village with almsfood prepares the seats, sets out the water for drinking and for washing, and puts the refuse bucket in its place. Whichever of us returns last eats any food left over, if he wishes; otherwise he throws it away where there is no greenery or drops it into water where there is no life. He puts away the seats and the water for drinking and for washing. He puts away the refuse bucket after washing it, and he sweeps out the refectory. Whoever notices that the pots of water for drinking, washing, or the latrine are low or empty takes care of them. If they are too heavy for him, he calls someone else by a signal of the hand and they move it by joining hands, but because of this we do not break out into speech. But every five days we sit together all night discussing the Dhamma. That is how we abide diligent, ardent, and resolute.ā€

Different style today - I felt like trying something newā€¦

28 Likes

The walking path is so cute!

4 Likes

:star_struck:

I thought it was Anuruddha with his bowl who had turned out especially cute! :blush:

5 Likes

Oooohhh, one of my favorte suttas. Lovely doodle. Wondering how you would depict the second part of the sutta, on their meditation and the Buddha relating his own experience when giving instructions to them?:thinking:

5 Likes

I have a request: the teaching Bahiya received in, Ud 1.10, from the Buddha. :anjal:

8 Likes

I love that sutta too @anon29387788. But I imagine those kinds of suttas are more difficult to depict. Hmmmm, how do you illustrate letting go?

4 Likes

Heh, hehā€¦ I wonder if Ven Yodha will find a wayā€¦

4 Likes