Dhamma-related reading material for the actively dying

Howdy y’all!

Other than the Rev. B. Analayo’s “Mindfully Facing Disease and Death,” which I’ve just started to read, do any of you have recommendations for essays or books in a similar vein?

Thanks!

Andy

2 Likes

There are stages of death, this is a phase of the cycle of impermanence of which the body is a part. Some of these characteristics are evident in the decades leading up to actual death:

“Active dying is the final phase of the dying process. While the pre-active stage lasts for about three weeks, the active stage of dying lasts roughly three days. By definition, actively dying patients are very close to death, and exhibit many signs and symptoms of near-death.”—Internet

“Our Real Home,” Ajahn Chah, address to a dying student:

3 Likes

Here are some things I’ve gathered:

https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/1CejhWVHrZncxhdmoGFcCAfqt8cEeuDwI

2 Likes

Thanks! Looks like I misused “actively” in the title; wasn’t aware that the definitions you provided existed. :slightly_smiling_face: I was thinking of “actively” in the sense of being aware that the process has started, rather than the usual everyday ignoring of mortality.

1 Like

Holey moley, that’s quite a collection sir! Thanks very much! I’ve downloaded and will begin perusing. Looks like you’ve been gathering works on the topic for a while. These appear to be just what I was looking for.

1 Like