Dharma Pearls Updates

Greetings Charles :slight_smile: I hope you are well.

I was wondering if you had any plans to translate MA 56 Meghiya? I’ve had a look through Dhamma Pearls, and it isn’t listed. It’s not that important and I know you have a schedule :slight_smile: It is a nice practical sutta about when meditation practice isn’t working and how to deal with it :smiley: What catches my interest is in the final paragraph, that it is about (amongst other things) the cutting off of thoughts/proliferations, and that it directly states that mindfulness of breathing is to be used for this, and that the ending of all proliferations (with eradication of conceit of ‘I am’) is liberation. The resources I have access to have small variations on emphasis, and I was wondering how the Agama was flavoured.

Bhante Sujato has a translation, With Meghiya, AN9.3, and there is the Ud 4.1 by Bhikkhu Anadajoti, which includes a verse at the end, at SC. and there is a version of Ud4.1 that I have in the book ‘the life of the Buddha’ by Ven Nanamoli with a lovely version of the verse (Pg 131-132)
"Mean thoughts, trivial thoughts
Come tempting the mind and fly away;
Not understanding these thoughts in the mind,
The heart strays, chasing them back and forth.

A (man) person understanding these thoughts in their mind
Expels them with vigorous mindfulness
And one enlightened, has done with them all;
For no more temptation then stirs their mind."

https://suttacentral.net/search?query=meghiya

This is only an ‘icing on top’ wishful thinking sort of request :smile: , so please feel free to ignore :slight_smile:

with much metta

It would certainly help this guy in the cartoon :smile:

3 Likes