Dharma Pearls Updates

I’m glad to hear this! Definitely there’s something to be gained by looking at the texts that are unique to the Agamas. The Ekottarika Agama is probably the best option for this. It’s quite different from the Pali material. The parallels are sometimes only vaguely similar, and many texts are not found elsewhere as far as we can tell.

2 Likes

That’s my usual go to. It’s my favourite out of the agamas tbh.

Do you have an example of an EA sutra which really stands out and shows EA’s uniqueness? Thanks, I enjoy reading your translations and updates!

3 Likes

EA 43.5 is a good example. EA 3.1-10 are pretty interesting as interpretations of the ten recollections.

5 Likes

@cdpatton when will we get your notes and commentary included in the pearls on suttacentral? thank you so much for these translations I think they are incredibly valuable! :pray:

2 Likes

I believe that all of his current translations are added to SC as what are known as legacy texts. These type of texts won’t have notes on SC. @cdpatton Do you have plans to switch to Bilara at some point?

1 Like

The holdup is segmenting the Chinese. It’s a lot of work for me to try to tackle while also continuing the translation project, and there isn’t a good way to import new root texts et al into Bilara, aside from a clunky middleware solution that consists of duct taping a couple different scripts together that I haven’t managed to get to run on a local computer. So, we are hoping that when Bilara is reprogrammed, this import problem will be addressed. At that point, I should have a large amount of material ready to convert to segmented Bilara data.

4 Likes