SuttaCentral

Dharmaguptaka Vinaya and ordination of gay people

vinaya
gay
homosexual
ordination
Tags: #<Tag:0x00007fc7b1e95db0> #<Tag:0x00007fc7b1e95c70> #<Tag:0x00007fc7b1e95b08> #<Tag:0x00007fc7b1e959c8>

If monks are expelled for heterosexual activity why should homosexual activity be allowed? That makes no sense.

This question seems a good one. Because it does not contain assumption. I think this is a better place to start.

If you want to know what rules there were against homosexual activity, you can read about it. There are probably sources right here in this thread for that. But I think it is generally not going to help ones learning to assume what must have been the case based on what one personally feels is logical to assume. That’s my only point here.

I see what you are saying about personal assumptions but it is well-known that there are rules against heterosexual activity and sexual activity in general for monks they get expelled many seem to think that rule is ok but rules against homosexual activity is not ok. There are also rules against singing, dancing, and many other things.

If such a rule is to be abandoned then why not other rules too?

Hi ,
Why not consider this , in the beginning the Buddha Refused to accept women into the sangha right ? If Buddha was born intersex (with ambiguous genitalia) why would Buddha formed a Male sangha ? Very unlikely Buddha was born intersex imo .
That’s doesn’t make much sense .

Because being intersex tells us nothing necessarily about what social roles the person in question will practice.

Some intersex people take to the male role, some to the female, and some to neither. In this they are exactly like those who are distinctly male or female: Within both of those biological groupings as well, some people fit and take to the social role of man, some fit and take to the social role of woman, and some fit and take to neither, but instead are in between, or on any of lots of different paths. Biology is destiny in some ways, but not in this one.