Dictionary Webpage

It would be nice if SuttaCentral had a dictionary page, perhaps at /define which is currently just a blank page. For v1 it could just have a textbox that redirects to /define/whatever%20you%20typed

It took me a while to discover that SC even has a dictionary function, and still I have to use it by manually editing the URL to get to the word I want. A landing page could improve usability and discoverability (e.g. you can link to the dictionary landing page from the home page or the “…” menu)

Thanks!

7 Likes

Doesn’t the search function work for you?

I like it that the associated hamburger provides immediate access to adjacent and similarly-spelled terms in a sidebar, but there’s nothing like being able to browse through page after page. :slight_smile:

So seconded!

3 Likes

Slowly. My internet isn’t so fast to load the SERP, so it’s faster to go to the URL manually (assuming I guess the Pāli root spelling correctly hehe)

1 Like

Yes, we do need to have/maintain facilites for slow internets. Important.

1 Like

Also, if I want to share SC’s dictionary with someone I have to tell them to search for the word and then only look for dictionary entries at the top of the SERP… it’s a bit clunky compared to just sharing a link to “here’s the dictionary” ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

3 Likes

TIL: Sutta Central has a dictionary lookup.

2 Likes

It’s difficult to browse or read. Reading dictionaries… :grin::raising_hand_woman:

1 Like

I was just about to create a topic of exactly the same issue. I’ve had the same experience as above. I’ve just discovered today that SuttaCentral has a dictionary—and it took me a few minutes trying to search for it on the website (seems like everything is done in the search box in the corner).

A basic homepage for the dictionary, with a simple search box in the center, along with its own URL would be really nice.

2 Likes