Did the Buddha ever meet his parents or wife after enlightenment?

I have read that he met his son after his enlightenment, who then became a monk himself.

Did he likewise ever meet his parents or his wife again? How did that play out?

Also as a side question. Growing up, the sort of Buddhism in five minutes that you always learn in schools is that he was a prince who was sheltered from death, sickness and old age. Is this supported in the EBT, or is it some later teaching? What I have read so far is that he was indeed a prince or at least royal, and that his father gave him three palaces, one for each season. I have not read about the sheltering from old age, sickness and death though.

May you be happy. All of you :grinning:

Yes he did. They all become enlightened thanks to him.

You are right. This is from sutta MN 75

So far I can only find this detail not in the sutta but in the commentary (VisuddhajanavilāsinÄ«, Apadāna-aį¹­į¹­hakath) and The Mahavastu

2 Likes

Thanks! Do you know the sutta that mentions his family getting enlightened?

For our Gotama Buddha, I donā€™t believe we find this in the EBTs. We get a similar story:
https://suttacentral.net/dn14/en/sujato?layout=sidebyside&reference=main/pts&notes=asterisk&highlight=false&script=latin#2.1.1

If you are not familiar with the Dictionary of Pali Proper Names, thatā€™s something you can check out. The version of the DPPN on Sutta Central is quite slimmed down and I donā€™t believe it even includes the Buddhaā€™s father. However the whole dictionary is on line. Here is his entry:
http://www.palikanon.com/english/pali_names/s/suddhodana.htm
You will notice that most of the citations include an A in them which indicates they are commentary. There is actually very little biographical info in the EBTs. The majority is found in the commentaries.

4 Likes

Thank you. Are the commentaries a part of the Pali Canon or are they written later?

I am probably in need of some sort of guide for how to navigate the Theravada system. I get that it is based upon the Pali Canon, but is later commentaries used or is everything in there somehow? Sorry for all of the questions!

Who then is their Gotama Buddha?

Sorry, I could have phrased it as ā€œFor our Buddha, Gotamaā€

Later. However, the Theravāda school today considers the traditional commentaries as being authoritative, even if theyā€™re not Canonical as such.

2 Likes