Digitization of Hinuber's Nepalese fragment of the Cullavagga

For those of you who are wondering what we’ve been up to, myself and Bhante @Sujato are currently working on the digitization of Oskar von Hinuber’s transcription of a fragment of the Pali Cullavagga.

The project details and Hinuber’s work can be found here:

In his article, von Hinuber doesn’t give a name to the manuscript, usually just referring to it as “the Nepalese fragment”.

The aim is to transcribe the fragment and make it available in a segmented plain text form that can be consumed by SuttaCentral and anyone else.

For the purpose of this, I’ve also adapted an Atom package for using the Velthuis transliteration system so it becomes easier to type Sanskrit and Pali texts. Anybody who frequently needs to use characters with Pali or Sankrit diacritics can use this package for typing.

8 Likes

Thank you for the transliteration system, it looks great and easy to use!

However I have some problems with the installation.

Installation

Extract the packages into the home directory at .atom/packages and restart Atom. This automatically installs the packages.

I’ve downloaded it and extracted it in my home directory. But I don’t see anything that looks like “.atom/packages”, nor anything called “Atom” which I could restart.

What went wrong?

1 Like

Atom is a text editor. See here: https://atom.io/ and there are also some very helpful YouTube tutorials.

If I recall correctly from previous thread’s you’re using Ubuntu so I think you might be able to install Atom with just a click through your Software Manager (or at least I could, and I’m using Mint which is a Ubuntu derivative - for now anyway).

To add Ayya’s package into atom I just threw the extracted folders into Atom’s package folder (for me: /home/USERNAME/.var/app/io.atom.Atom/data/packages)

Ayya, thanks so much for sharing this! I tried to play with atom-autocorrect-en and wasn’t quite as successful.

To call on your great tinkering expertise yet further, I wonder, would there be a way to have the autocorrection performed as soon as the character combo is entered (that is, without having to ‘end’ the word with a space)?

2 Likes

Maybe one day :smile:
The original package does it that way but I might have a look how to improve it. There are a few small bugs too.

I added a few changes an hour or so ago because one of the added node-modules was not being cached by GitHub. It would be easy to just pull that node-module in the terminal, but then the Velthuis transliteration does not work optimally so I make a few small changes to it. In any case, the node-module has been added now.

2 Likes

lol - fair dos! Back to my blind, random ‘oooh, I wonder what this does… oh, break everything’ process it is then. :smiley:

1 Like

Thank you for the explanations, Aminah. I didn’t have the time to do it yet, but I’ve understood now how it works.

But does that mean it will only work for this text editor, and not for example for my email?

1 Like

Yup, that’s precisely want it means. :slight_smile:

You’ll have to see with Ayya Vimala about developing a global system… I’m sure that really she has some time in between the little tasks of SC dev and construction worker. :smiling_imp: :wink:

1 Like