Discussion for Bilara users

Going on with indexes, I now started the index of similes. Here I find that in some cases, the numbering on access to insight, where the index has been adapted from, is quite different from that on SC. I thought it might be helpful if I list here what I find. (Seeing this now, I am sure that the same problem also applies to the index of names which I have already translated. But there, I haven’t checked this.)

• Animals bound together by a rope: SN 35.206 on AtI → SN 35.247 on SC

• Arrow, removed: SN 1.5 in the list of similes → Snp 1.5; probably error due to the different naming conventions on the two sites

• Bathman: AtI also seems to expand passages that are abbreviated in the root text (or maybe they use a different root text), so it comes that DN 11 and DN 12 are for example included in the list of Suttas that have the bathroom attendant simile, while on SC you don’t find this simile in DN 11 or DN 12.

Question: How to deal with this? I would tend to remove such Suttas from the list. There are others in the canon that are not listed (maybe because there is no translation of them on AtI), so we could add those instead.

Given all this, translating the index of similes takes much more time than I expected, and I am stopping at this point for today. But I will keep posting wrong links here as I find them.

2 Likes