Discussion on using SCVoice

I think if you are needing to have personal coaching on how to use a website interface, it may be time to step back and reevaluate the design.

One thing that confused me is that you are mixing three UX paradigms: tabs, cards, and playlist. Moreover, you have stepped away from the core behaviour of links opening pages.

I know you have reasons for your decisions, but I think the particular place you have ended up is inherently confusing.

I’d start by either going all in on a real tab interface (where each tab only ever displayed a single sutta, as a tab in a web browser only ever displays one web page) or abandon that and instead have a playlist view that let you navigate to places on the page.

Personally I like the idea of not duplicating browser functions. Having multiple tabs (or multiple windows) is what browsers do well. You could easily have a playlist that was the same entity across different tabs (meaning changing it in one tab changed it in the others).

4 Likes

I’ve just done the simplest thing you suggested – go to the sutta and click the speaker icon.

https://www.sc-voice.net/?src=sc#/sutta/mn1:1.2/en/sujato

Am happy now.

Thanks from the low-tech lady :pray:

4 Likes

I would imagine that is suitable for many peoples’s needs. We just need someone to point out to us :upside_down_face: that it’s there. :rofl:

This is probably an ‘intelligent’ way of explaining my confusion. :clap:

This could be used to further test the new Voice as well as help out friends.
Many :hamster: :hamster: :hamster: :hamster: :hamster: are better than :hamster: .

4 Likes

I managed to get it working just fine by following the instructions to click on the “sound” icon. After that it seemed fairly intuitive to use… at first I thought it was @Gillian reading out the English tranlsation. :laughing:

I’m a fairly low tech person, but I seem to be able to get it to work without necessarily understanding about cards and GUI etc.

Really like the “inspire me” button.

5 Likes

Would be cool if there was voice for the Pātimokkhas! Just a thought.

When I was learning the Pātimokkha I had a recording of Bhante Sujato and Ayya Suddinna and would re-play bits over and over again to try and learn how to pronounce things.

4 Likes

Thank you everybody for your feedback! Much to discuss and think about with @karl_lew . I am relieved that some of you seem even to get it to work and be happy …

Just one word for now:

Yes, that would be! The technical hurdles for including vinaya texts are high, our to-do list is long, the available capacity is very limited, so we decided to put the vinaya further down for the time being. But we may re-evaluate if there is real need by real people.

:pray:

4 Likes

I think if someone is memorizing the Patimokkha it’s best to have a recording made by someone in the community anyway.

Thanks for all your work!

4 Likes

I just watched Dune and fell asleep from time to time. Very engaging indeed… :rofl:

2 Likes

A rave review!
If The Voice told you to watch it, maybe it would have been more engaging!

By the way, is The Voice that reads the Pali being discussed here a real person, or a computer AI thing?

3 Likes

Many thanks for the lifetimes of suggestions. :laughing: :pray:

On a cautionary note, my own time for spending on Voice is fading away with my eyesight. Voice exists so that I can hear the Dhamma when I can no longer read. Ayya @Sabbamitta and I have been prioritizing the feature list with that in mind.

The reality is that at this point we really do need others to help implement many of these wonderful suggestions. For example, Ayya @Vimala kindly helped us with the Light theme on sc-voice. I couldn’t do that since the Light theme hurts my eyes. Thank you, Ayya @Vimala! :heart:

Indeed it’s even possible to recreate the entire front-end of SC-Voice. SC-Voice has a back-end which does all the narration segment by segment, language by language, voice by voice. So it should be easy to create new front-ends fit to purpose. We will support those efforts and cheer you on.

Keep the great suggestions coming. They really are marvelously helpful.

:pray:

As Ayya @Sabbamitta mentioned above, the Pali narrator for SC-Voice is a custom AWS Polly narrator named Aditi. Aditi is actually a Hindi voice and we customized Aditi with IPA to get an “intelligible” Pali. The AWS is not perfect, but it is serviceable.

There is a certain raw sharpness to vigilance, an “ignore this and die” sense of urgency that is heightened by its use as a verb in ES/PT. I’m a rock climber, where vigilance is required when a slip of the foot can kill, main or injure. And that sense of sharp awareness is what flows through in ES/PT, while it is muted in EN.

5 Likes

It’s common in app development to have a group of testers involved throughout who are end users, not developers. Typically they work with the product owner (in this case, Ven. Sabbamitta) who works directly with the developer(s). I.e., many hands indeed are required! :hamster: :hamster: :hamster: :hamster: :hamster: :hamster:

Effectively that’s happening now in this thread; however, a small group that meets real-time would make this much more rewarding :grinning: That’s always been my experience in IT-land with customers.

Ven. @Snowbird makes a good point here, especially regarding the three UX (user experience) paradigms. Nothing wrong with continuing to play around with UX and GUI stuff! We can do this without interrupting its availability.

Yes, precisely :clap:

@karl_lew the feature list is great!

3 Likes

I have no idea what this means.

Is Polly Pali?

3 Likes

The Pali Voice narrator is not human. It is a computer, like Siri.

3 Likes

Polly is the name AWS chose for its TTS service.

2 Likes

Thank you.

Perhaps down the road there can be volunteers to read and record various Pali texts.
A good place to start could be the students now working through G&K- could be good practice for them!

What is AWS TTS ?

4 Likes

Text to speach. Sorry.

AWS is the provider from where we buy the service.

2 Likes

Thanks. I’m guessing AWS is part of Amazon

3 Likes

Thanks to @MichaelH, Voice also has Bhante Sujato’s own audio recordings. For example, we can hear Bhante on SN1.1. You’ll need to choose him as the Narrator for EN/PLI

One problem we encountered with human audio recordings is that audio/text alignment is challenging. In addition, Bhante has been revising his texts, so the audio is currently out of date. In contrast, the robot voices are perfectly aligned and always current.

5 Likes

Ah, yes. Amazon Web Services.

2 Likes

In other words, next to someone who does the recording, then we need someone who does the audio editing, segments the recording according to the SC segments, etc.

This way we have by now human voice recordings for SN1.1 up to SN2.20, both Pali and English.

4 Likes