Discussion on using SCVoice

The pdf of Gair and Karunatillake can be uploaded somewhere, then students just need to say prior to their recitation something like, ‘Lesson 1 Reading 1’ etc.
The sound file can be given that name?

3 Likes

There can also be multiple readings for the same text, for comparison.

The readings can be discussed, edited by the student (redone) etc.

3 Likes

One of the things we haven’t discussed much is that SC-Voice.net can actually be cloned to create different EBT websites. For example, Ayya @Sabbamitta has dhammaregen.net, the DE site for SC-Voice.

So it is entirely possible to have an SC-Voice.net website dedicated to the Pali course with all relevant material available on that site.

3 Likes

This would then be something outside of SC-Voice. Voice can only read from the SC repository. Anything else can be uploaded elsewhere, but it’s a different thing.

Yes, that could be a good way to go about.

Dhammaregen, the language specific German version of SC-Voice, does access the same repository of texts, but has its own language-specific wiki section. There you will find for example German translations of some of Bhante Sujato’s translation essays from this forum, and other resources otherwise not available in German language.

So it would be easy to use the wiki section of a “Pali course SC-Voie” site for uploading human recordings, collecting study resources, etc. And it would still provide the exactly same functionality for listening to suttas as the current SC-Voice, it would automatically get all the content updates, etc.

It’s easy to build (though requires a bit of work), and even I could assist in the process.

2 Likes

This is a creative idea, certainly … alas, I wouldnt trust my own pronunciation nor the abilty to match the authentic cadence of the pāli suttas. Nor would I trust other students’ (no disrespect to them).

Over the last two months as I’ve gotten familiar with SCVoice and thought about it, I can’t fathom a non-AI solution to accomplish what we’re talking about. As Ven. @sabbamitta hints at, the level of effort would be enormous and beyond the pale to maintain. (My apologies if I’m misrepresenting … well, it’s what I think in any case.)

3 Likes

I would suggest to all Pali students to build confidence and trust themselves.

3 Likes

@BethL , I added the “sc-voice” tag to your thread. It’s a good resource and discussion place for those who have questions regarding the use of Voice.

Thanks again for starting it, and thanks everybody for the vivid discussion—even if we aren’t able to pick up all your suggestions, it is still very heartwarming and uplifting to see the great interest and enthusiasm about this app! :heart:

3 Likes

Can you specify the thread for other readers pl Ayya?

2 Likes

I was a solitary end user :hamster:.
Often when I did something spontaneously @karl_lew would say something like, “That’s interesting, I would never have expected someone to do it like that!” This made me reflect on how interesting a group of :hamster: :hamster: :hamster: might be to the developers.

It’s probably unrealistic to expect SCVoice2 to be all things to all people, certainly not at this stage. It is more up-to-date and versatile than SCVoice1, which was loved by its users.

SCV2 serves people like Ayya @acala, @Dheerayupa, and myself, who want to use Voice as an extension of reading, and can click on the speaker icon to listen along. I love the development that allows me to choose between playing a sutta straight through and repeat a small segment as often as I want in order to study and memorise. :slight_smile:

@karl_lew’s original impetus is truly amazing. He joined the Forum around the same time I did, 6 years ago, announcing that he had found out he was going blind and he wanted to spend the next period of his life developing a tool for those that can’t see to hear the suttas. In those days he used to post a lot. He was full of good humour, jokes and encouragement to others to keep practicing. I felt his excitement at having found this beautiful community and I have never once heard him complain about his developing disability! :hushed: We can all rejoice with him that this goal is being achieved in time for him to enjoy listening to Voice in further retirement and enjoying the “Inspire Me” facility*. :pray: :pray: :pray:

Ayya @sabbamitta works indefatigably almost every day on the Voice and Dhammaregen projects. She combines energy and patience in a way that truly embodies Dhamma. :pray: :pray: :pray: There are so many idea and suggestions being made here. If you feel that you have any type of expertise that might contribute to further developments I suggest that you let Ayya @sabbamitta know.

PS: I’m about to put a link to Bhikkhu Bodh’s G&K audio lessons, which includes him reading some of the passages into the course resources thread.

5 Likes

And marvelously helpful. :heart:

Thank you, @Gillian for all your surprises, laughing insights and kind words.

:pray:

I worked at Intuit, where we did extensive usability testing and used focus groups. However, the approach I like the best is to just talk to people one-on-one, listening carefully to what they say and watching how they use Voice. And that’s what Ayya @Sabbamitta and I have been doing, one person at a time. So if anybody here would like to chat with us and share their ongoing user experience with Voice, just let us know and we’ll talk to you one at a time. Quite often we’ll discover together something we all need or we can explore the purpose of a mysterious feature that someone else found useful. We’re not trying to create the perfect application. Instead, we are just trying to create something that benefits ourselves and others.

:heart:

5 Likes

It’s this very thread where you’ve made this post. :smile:

Thank you so much for your kind words, Gillian, and for reminding us all of the early days of Voice. I was so fascinated of what Karl was doing—and also have personal connection with blind people—that it didn’t take long before I was drawn into the project … that’s how it goes. From the very beginning @karl_lew supported me in my primary aim, which is to translate the suttas, by giving me technical aids before Bilara was ready to use. So it was—and still is—a journey of mutual benefit for which I am utterly grateful! :pray: :heart:

I think we are just not professional to that degree. For me in any case I can say I am very unprofessional in the field and am coming from a totally different corner of life. To this project I came through curiosity and enthusiasm, and any knowledge and skill I have today in how anything on a website is working I all owe to Karl and the SuttaCentral team.

:white_check_mark: :smile:

5 Likes

I came to explore ‘The Voice’ for my own benefits regarding Pali studies, but I’ve gained more than I could ever hope…

Thank you so very much, @karl_lew for being a great inspiration. May you have a happy dhamma life for the rest of your life and will always have great dhamma lives until you realise nibbana. :pray:

:sunflower: :heart: :lotus:

5 Likes

That’s wonderful Dheerayupa … would you share a little?

4 Likes

What I meant is that I’ve learnt how SCVoice was conceived and death (here disability) contemplation can lead to wonderful things.

Being old now, I witness many old people around me wanting to ‘do as much I can before I die’. In one particular case, a family member has become blind in one eye and might become blind in the other, and their goal in life now is to travel and party as much as they can before they go totally blind.

Ajahn Brahm always says that death (here disability) is not a tragedy, but the real tragedy is when we have wasted our life in vain.

@karl_lew has shown us what a true and inspiring dhamma practitioner can be and how to live a spiritually fruitful life when we have the right attitude.

SADHU!

5 Likes

Beth, have you listened to chanting by Dhammaruwan when he was a little child? If you google ‘Dhammaruwan chanting’ you can listen to it.
Suroo

2 Likes

@Suroo yes, I have! This recording may, indeed, have been the catalyst several years ago for my efforts to learn and chant Pali. Now I occasionally listen to the chanting which he’s recorded as an adult. I also find him an excellent dhamma instructor.

1 Like

I’m glad you’ve listened to the recordings already. Dhammacakkappavattsna Sutta is really good. When we were learning it by heart, this recording is what I listened to. :pray:

1 Like