DN:22: What would be pali "They meditate independent, not grasping at anything in the world"?

Hello there :anjal:

In mahasatipatthana sutta there is repeadetly a very important sentence (Ajahn Sujato translation)
https://suttacentral.net/dn22/en/sujato

Or mindfulness is established that the body exists, to the extent necessary for knowledge and mindfulness. They meditate independent, not grasping at anything in the world.

Or mindfulness is established that the body exists, to the extent necessary for knowledge and mindfulness. They meditate independent, not grasping at anything in the world.

Or mindfulness is established that the mind exists, to the extent necessary for knowledge and mindfulness. They meditate independent, not grasping at anything in the world.

Being translation of:

ā€˜Atthi kāyoā€™ti vā panassa sati paccupaį¹­į¹­hitā hoti yāvadeva Ʊāį¹‡amattāya paį¹­issatimattāya anissito ca viharati, na ca kiƱci loke upādiyati.

etc. etc.

Could you please tell me which part of this pali sentences mean just this:
They meditate independent, not grasping at anything in the world
without the rest part of the sentences?

It is importaint to me, because I donā€™t know pali, but I think it would be great to have few most importaint pali references in my paper, so the reader can get this ā€œfeeling of original teachingā€ regarding most important parts. And framework Iā€™ve taken is a path of progressive not grasping, thatā€™s why this sentence is so importaint.
I believe this is also one of most fundamental sentences in the whole pali canon, so it would be great to have it one short sentence :dharmawheel: :slight_smile:

Sorry for asking so many questions, I promise to limit myself.

With metta

1 Like

word for word:
independent ** (they) abide [ā€œmeditateā€], not any thing (in the) world (that they) grasp

4 Likes

Thank you :anjal: :heart: It rhymes beautifully :slight_smile:

1 Like