Does anyone know if I can find a biography of this monk?

I listened again to a story by Ajahn Brahm about a Thai monk who had failed several times at elementary school, so he was ordained but he could not learn the chants, so he was sent to a Thai forest monastery and there he got enlightened very quickly because his meditation was so good since his mind was very simple. The story is e.g. here at 59:58

I was wondering whether anyone knew about this monk (Ajahn Brahm says he forgot the name) and whether a biography or more information about his life was available.
I liked the story as it shows the path is about purity of mind rather than intellectual prowess.

5 Likes

Buddha was clearly highly educated and talented man and he attained enlightenment with his own effort. Failing at school has nothing to do with enlightenment, it’s the mind that matters and of course his parami, otherwise there are already many arahats in the country who has high level of low educated people.

@SC1100 I am not sure i understand your point yet, can you restate or expand a bit?

With respect and hope for benefit for many, please, if appropriate.

I think i understand, as it has seemed true to me that mind is more than intellect as intellect is more than logic as logic is more than clear statements as clear statements are more than eel wiggling as that is more than not listening at all to this human community’s “lowest” (however viewed or defined).

One possibility lately on my mind: (edit: Hypothosis:) mind includes empathy until perhaps it is superseded by compassion; but getting to compassion if one has stifled or let go of empathy “too soon” is difficult for me to imagine, at this time…

But i am not a logician or educator or student able to dedicate 100% of time energy attention, at this time. :slight_smile: And just as many languages are better regarding particular “interests” relevant to their context (history from human intentional events, geological contexts, interactions with other languages, etc) so other POVs can help one understand. :anjal:

1 Like

Mind isn’t the physical world, internal or external… It is made up of consciousnes, [as opposed to loss of consciousness, or sleep, etc], being aware, Emotions [feelings- including pleasure, pain, equanamous feeling, at the six sense doors], hedonic tone, Perception and identification [sanna]… includes ignorance, Mental fabrications: (sankhara) which includes intention, volition, mental aspect of talking, contemplating. Analysis and logic , often appropriated as mine or ‘me’ seems to belong to sankhara. Objects of Sensory awareness or has a mental component -we can create hallucinations and ‘co-create’ reality, which is phassa.

[edited from a list, to a paragraph - hope that helps!]

Lists is not a language in which i have fluency.

Pretty sure i am being offered correction or perhaps pointers, but it is not in language i can understand at the moment. So, communication does not occur.

May all be happy. Peaceful. Freed from suffering.

1 Like

@Mat No, not really; still reads like a list to me, despite punctuation changes and additions of some verbs. Some of the statements seem obvious, others seem to have potential landmines of jargon/technical speech; either there is esoteric knowledge to which hints direct, or it is simply deficiencies in this reader, [edit] or just not the moment.

Tired, and somewhat disheartened. :slight_smile: These “prove” unworthiness for learning here now, is this not so?

Thank you for your generosity. May every requisite for finishing the work be available.

I note… this was not my Q&A. Nor is there energy here to start one.

More descriptive essay here: The Five Aggregates: A Study Guide

As Ajahn Chah said: A lot of people forget that when they get a PhD, their defilements get a PhD too!

Often, people who are well educated / smarter have more stubborness, arrogance, difficulty in receiving admonishment, etc.

I’m not sure of this Monk’s name, but you might want to look up the story of Cūlapanthaka if you haven’t heard it already. :slight_smile:

1 Like