I am trying to get into grips with MN 128. It is with regard to developing immersion in three ways.
I thought: ‘I’ve given up my mental corruptions. Now let me develop immersion in three ways.’ I developed immersion while placing the mind and keeping it connected; without placing the mind, but just keeping it connected; without placing the mind or keeping it connected; with rapture; without rapture; with pleasure; with equanimity.
This makes it unclear what the three ways are supposed to be, but Bhikku Thannissaro’s translation makes the three ways more clear
- concentration with directed thought & evaluation. concentration without directed thought but with a modicum of evaluation. concentration without directed thought or evaluation
- concentration with rapture. concentration without rapture
- concentration with enjoyment. concentration with equanimity.
(Though I cannot quite make out the difference between directed thought & evaluation).
This aside, immersion while placing the mind and keeping it connected is clear to me. It is when mental displacement & disconnection fades away. But:
- immersion without placing the mind, but just keeping it connected;
- immersion without placing the mind or keeping it connected
are not clear to me. What are these two immersion stages supposed to mean?