Does nibbidā mean "revulsion" or "disillusionment"?

Yes. I am familiar with SN12.23 Vital Conditions which also has the same sequence.

However the DN33 passage is quite clear:

And what is the way of developing immersion further that leads to gaining knowledge and vision?
A mendicant focuses on the perception of light, concentrating on the perception of day regardless of whether it is night or day.
And so, with an open and unenveloped heart, they develop a mind that’s full of radiance.
This is the way of developing immersion further that leads to gaining knowledge and vision.

This teaching is repeated in AN6.29, therefore it is not a typo nor is it just Sariputta. Here the Buddha himself is saying this:

Furthermore, a mendicant focuses on the perception of light, concentrating on the perception of day regardless of whether it is night or day.
And so, with an open and unenveloped heart, they develop a mind that’s full of radiance.
When this topic of recollection is developed and cultivated in this way it leads to knowledge and vision.

The above talks about knowledge and vision specifically and not drowsiness.
I am simply repeating what the Buddha said. This cannot be idiosyncratic.

3 Likes

Yes, DN33 is a collection of other suttas AFAIK and the Digha Nikaya is known for containing these. They are copies of each other as far as I can see. In terms of the dhamma, it makes little sense.

Ah OK. So we read it the same but for one of us it makes sense and the other it does not make sense.
I was just worried that we read it differently.
For me the perception of day regardless of night or day is an uplifting immersion that I would turn to in the darkest of times. As my vision fades, this has become important.

And as I think on this, I also realize that in this case “disillusionment” evolves as sorrow proceeds to equanimity. It leads from the sense of loss up through faith and eventually to the knowledge that new perceptions will open up in other senses. Sometimes I can hear walls now. Therefore, I would say that nibbida means disillusionment brought on by truly seeing, and not simply revulsion.

Thanks to our conversation, I’ve added “whether it is night or day” as well as “truly knowing and seeing” to the SCV search examples.

:pray:

2 Likes

I can hear an absence of sound near walls…

Even when seeing aggregates realising their tilakkhana leads to repulsion and this leads to dispassion, as with general sadness and eventual acceptance.

Yup

Great!

1 Like