Does the Buddha disagree with female ordination?

Does the female ordination has any effect on the lifespan of Buddha dhamma ?

There is a sutta that says that, but I canÔÇÖt find it. IÔÇÖm fairly sure @sujato strongly disagrees with that sutta as well, but I canÔÇÖt find that quote either. :slight_smile:

6.Then the venerable ├énanda returned to the Blessed One, and bowed down before him, and took his seat on one side. And, so sitting, the venerable ├énanda said to the Blessed One: ÔÇśMah├ó-pag├ópat├« the Gotam├«, Lord, has taken upon herself the Eight Chief Rules, the aunt of the Blessed One, has received the upasampad├ó initiation.ÔÇÖ

If, ├énanda, women had not received permission to go out from the household life and enter the homeless state, under the doctrine and discipline proclaimed by the Tath├ógata, then would the pure religion, ├énanda, have lasted long, the good law would have stood fast for a thousand years. But since, ├énanda, women have now received that permission, the pure religion, ├énanda, will not now last so long, the good law will now stand fast for only five hundred years. Just, ├énanda, as houses in which there are many women and but few men are easily violated by robber burglars; just so, ├énanda, under whatever doctrine and discipline women are allowed to go out from the household life into the homeless state, that religion will not last long. And just, ├énanda, as when the disease called mildew falls upon a field of rice in fine condition, that field of rice does not continue long; just so, ├énanda, under whatsoever doctrine and discipline women are allowed to go forth from the household life into the homeless state, that religion will not last long. And just, ├énanda, as when the disease called blight falls upon a field of sugar-cane in good condition, that field of sugar-cane does not continue long; just so, ├énanda, under whatsoever doctrine and discipline women are allowed to go forth from the household life into the homeless state, that religion does not last long. And just, ├énanda, as a man would in anticipation build an embankment to a great reservoir, beyond which the water should not overpass; just even so, ├énanda, have I in anticipation laid down these Eight Chief Rules for the Bhikkhun├«s, their life long not to be overpassed.ÔÇÖ

http://www.sacred-texts.com/bud/sbe20/sbe20092.htm

1 Like