Downloading a query result

When I made a query/search for all suttas which have “ekaṃ samayaṃ bhagavā sāvatthiyaṃ viharati jetavane anāthapiṇḍikassa ārāme”, I got a query result of 3,615 suttas each with a root text but they are on 362 pages. The result looks like below.

SN 21.3 : Ghaṭasutta
Roor Text
me sutaṃ --ekaṃ samayaṃ bhagavā sāvatthiyaṃ viharati jetavaneanāthapiṇḍikassa ārāme. Tena kho pana … sāvatthiyaṃ viharati jetavaneanāthapiṇḍikassa ārāme. Kiṃ nu kho āyasmā mahāmoggallāno bhagavantaṃ iddhiyā … iddhiyā upasaṅkamiṃ; napi maṃ bhagavā iddhiyā upasaṅkami. Api ca me yāvatā bhagavā ettāvatā dibbacakkhu visujjhi

I’d like to know all the suttas spoken by the Buddha and his disciples at the same place, jetavaneanāthapiṇḍikassa. Does anyone know how to download the root texts of all these 3,615 suttas at one time?

1 Like

would be a very cool feature

:grin: … a challenge.

I came up with a brutish answer if you happen to be a firefox user, but first of all, I just want to double check that you only wanted to find suttas including the exact phrase:

ekaṃ samayaṃ bhagavā sāvatthiyaṃ viharati jetavane anāthapiṇḍikassa ārāme

When I searched for this using double quotes I only got 230 results. It was only when I searched for the phrase without using quotes that 3,615 results were returned.

Anyway my brutish answer:

1. add “&limit=230” to the end of the results url so they’re all shown on one page (SuttaCentral)

2. install/use the DownThemAll! plugin

2.1) under the Fast Filtering enter “t/pi/” to isolate just the suttas

2.2) hit start and they will be downloaded to wherever you selected on your computer as html files which can be opened (as local files) in your browser.

8 Likes

awesome tip and an idea for a feature for the search page

1 Like

Thanks Aminah.
I didn’t use double quotes in my query. I have Chrome and Firefox and I tried both but got the same query result. There seems no easy way to do it.

1 Like

If you use double quotes you should only find 230 results returned.

If you follow the above method, in addition to using Firefox you would need to use the mentioned plugin. If it would help, I can make a few screenshots for you, but as I say what you’d end up with is a bunch of local html files and I don’t know if that’s what you’re after. Alternatively (if it is what your after and this is a one off occasion), I can just do it myself and send you a zip.