Eight vs. nine lost opportunities for spiritual practice

Hi friends,

In AN 8.29 Akkhaṇasutta, eight lost opportunities were mentioned by the Buddha; however, in DA 33 Saṅgītisutta one more lost opportunity for assuras (or “demons” as translated by Bhante Sujato) was also mentioned.

Considering that the Buddha did teach lord of assuras in sutta AN 8.19 (With Pahārāda), which has several Agama parallels, it seems that it is a later development to include assuras in the lost opportunities for spiritual practice in DN 33?

Thanks and Metta,

Starter

1 Like

FYI, you can tag bhante @sujato to increase chances of getting his reply to your question.

Another thing is that you present more than one question and it will be hard for someone to present a comprehensive answer to all of them in one single post.

Hence I suggest you edit the opening post and move it to the Discussion category.

:anjal:

I’d like to add that in the Agama parallels (DA 9, DA 10 and T12), the paragraph concerning lost opportunities for spiritual practice is absent. I believe that the Buddha had included assuras in the plane of gods, not a separate plane.

This provides further support that it might be a later development to include assuras in the lost opportunities for spiritual practice.

Thanks and Metta,

Starter