Error has been detected

SAṂYUTTA NIKĀYA 46 1. PABBATAVAGGA 3. Sīlasutta http://suttacentral.net/pi/sn46.3
Sīlasuttaṃ [PTS Page 067] http://www.accesstoinsight.org/tipitaka/sltp/SN_V_utf8.html#pts.067

savanampāhaṃ => ( Savanampahaṃ )

1 Like

Thanks for helping. But this isn’t a spelling mistake. The reading is a contraction of savanam-pi-ahaṁ. The long ā results from the union of the pi and ahaṁ. You can see the same reading in the PTS edition, which you can read as a scanned copy on SuttaCentral. Open “Textual Information” from the sidebar, and click on the little book icon. (but you have to go to the last page on the previous sutta to get the right page.)

The digital text that we use, the mahasangiti edition, was originally derived from the VRI digitial text that you link to above, which is hosted on AtI. The team behind the Mahasangiti spent several years going over the text and extensively and carefully proofreading every detail, three times by sight, and three times orally. While it will never be possible to eliminate every mistake, they have come pretty close to it.

I am a student studying Pali Tipitaka.
Your answer was really helpful.
Thank you.

Please keep posting corrections!

MN95 Bhikkhu Bodhi’s translation:
There is a small error in the paragraph placement here:

… We ask Master Gotama about the thing most helpful for application of the will.” “Zeal is most helpful for application of the will, Bhāradvāja. If

one does not arouse zeal, one will not apply one’s will; but because one arouses zeal, one applies one’s will. …

It should be:

… We ask Master Gotama about the thing most helpful for application of the will.”

“Zeal is most helpful for application of the will, Bhāradvāja. If one does not arouse zeal, one will not apply one’s will; but because one arouses zeal, one applies one’s will. …

1 Like

Dear waiyin
I am not the operator of the “The suttacentral.net”.
However, I am interested in your questions.
What is the Pali sentence you translate? I want to know it.

Thanks Waiyin, I will look into this.

Just highlighting to Suttacentral. Hope you don’t mind me using this thread. WY

Fixed now. It may take some time to show up on the site. Keep the corrections coming!

Hello. sujato.
I feel a lot of gratitude to you.
Thank you.

“savanam-pi-ahaṁ” and to try new translation.
Recently I found a new site in the Pali Tipitaka.Please click here.

This is an old site, not a new one! That site has been around since the 90s, and still has a lot of value. In particular it is the only place to get the extended range of post-canonical texts.

The link for the Itivuttaka under https://suttacentral.net/kn
yields the Italian translation of the Pali suttas https://suttacentral.net/it

Thanks @waiyin. This is an unintended consequence of our internationalization efforts, @blake can you fix this?

Apart from the immediate fix, it would seem that here we have violated our unique ID policy, using it for both Italiano and Itivuttaka. Probably we should use iti for Itivuttaka, but this would mean some fairly large scale and careful changes.

Maybe it would be best for Blake to simply ensure that this bug is corrected on the current site. Since the duplicate IDs will cause more of a problem for the i18n site, why not make the it2iti change on staging, then we can test it as that site is tested and make sure we don’t have any further unwanted complications.

1 Like

Changing uids is actually pretty straightforward with a bit of grepping and review in git gui to see if anything untoward has changed. The server refuses to start up if the uids don’t match which also helps a good deal in ensuring consistency.

I’ve changed it->iti and added a redirect when “it” appears in a location which is unambiguously a sutta uid i.e. try it/it42 and you’ll be redirected to it/iti42

Note that except for the redirects, all these changes are to the data repository.

1 Like

Okay, thanks, we’ll watch to see if it creates any problems.

Thank you so much Blake and Bhante Sujato.