Etymology of sila

I hope this question finds you all well, and thank you for this wonderful resource!

I was hoping someone might help me with some research I’m (probably quite poorly) attempting.

I am looking for resources that discuss the etymology of the word sīla. From what little I can gather, it entered Pali from Sanskrit but I’m having a hard time finding anything on the etymology of the Sanskrit word शील / śīla.

Can anyone please point me towards any resources covering the etymology of śīla, or any general resources for Sanskrit etymology?

Much thanks in advance!

Here you can find more information for your request:
शील

Hi,
Many of the standard handbooks on Sanskrit etymology and philology are in German. Do you read German?
For instance, a good place to start would be Mayrhofer’s Etymologisches Wörterbuch des Altindoarischen, II, 644:
Screen Shot 2022-05-30 at 17.00.17

On the morphology, see also Wackernagel & Debrunner’s Altindische Grammatik II.2 p.862.

1 Like

FWIW one thing i always found useful is the pāli word silā means ‘rock’- reminding us that our virtue must be solid like a rock.
I think this was actually a teaching of Ajahn Chah and is mentioned in his biography ‘stilness flowing’ (Jayasāro, 2017)
Anyway, tangent over :joy:

1 Like

Mayrhofer’s Etymologisches Wörterbuch des Altindoarischen is “industry standard”.

But if you want Turner as well: A Comparative Dictionary of Indo-Aryan Languages

Front matter of the Turner dictionary: A Comparative Dictionary of Indo-Aryan Languages, signs and abbreviations

2 Likes

The “PTS P-E dictionary” suggests:

cp. Sk. śīla. It is interesting to note that the Dhtp puts down a root sīl in meaning of samadhi (No. 268) and upadharana (615).

1 Like

Thanks for your input everyone, I’m going to have a look at the resources shared and bounce some ideas off you all :smiley: