Explaining sankhāra="choices"

Sankhara the way I understand includes everything which exists in the world. This includes all animate and inanimate things. This means that the six senses which make up the living being too is included in it. When the Buddha said “sabbe sankhara” he meant that. When the Buddha said “sabbe sankhara anicca” and hence “dukkha” he meant the constantly changing nature inherent in them due to which very fact they turn out to be dukkha. In other words, dukkha is a direct result of anicca. By the same logic, since everything is anicca and dukkha it naturally follows that they cannot be identified as “this is mine, this I am, and this is my self”.

Taken in the above context, the key ingredient in sankhara is their constantly changing nature which makes them impermanent, unsatisfactory and non self. This means that everything including the six senses and their counterparts can be seen from two perspectives. One is a seemingly static nature – a passive - and the other which is more difficult to fathom is a constantly changing – an active - nature. The Buddha used such terms as sankatha and patiica samuppannna – conditioned and dependently arisen – to refer to the seemingly static nature. And he used the word sankhara to refer to the constantly changing and phenomenal nature.

Unfortunately, the living beings are either not aware of this fact or they are conditioned by other theories dictated to them by various traditions which obscure this reality for them. Whatever the reason, the Buddha called it ignorance due to which they construct a world out of the six senses. This created world is the five aggregates which they cling to with attachment. The existence bhava is this continuation with attachment to the five aggregates.

In the creation of the so called world, living beings, out of ignorance, make intentions with regard to the six senses because they do not understand the sankhara, sankhata and paticca samuppanna nature or more specifically the phenomenal nature of all which exist including the six senses. The three types of sankhara – kaya, vaci and citta – belong in this active and passive category. The Buddha said “cetana hum bhikkave kamman vadami”, intention, monks, I call action. Because, it is at this point sankhara takes on a new dimension and that is the potential of intentional actions to ripen as consequences vipaka which is commonly referred to as the ethical dimension. However, the Buddha did not invent a new word to refer to this new dimension but continued to use the same word sankhara in spite of the fact they entailed consequences.

I understand the word kamma which is translated as ethical action with an example. Suppose two persons engage in the action of walking from point A to B. The first person walks with just the intention of walking but the second person intends to destroy everything he encounters as he walks from point A to B. Both these instances of walking are sankhara with the three characteristics – impermanence, unsatisfactoriness and non self – because there is no walker except on conventional terms. But, in the second, even though there is no walker, there are consequences accruing to the walker. So, in the first instance the action of walking is mere sankhara whereas in the second, it is sankhara with consequences. In the context of dependent origination, it is the second type which is considered. The Buddha used the word punabbhavabhinibbatti – production of future renewed existence – to refer to this second type reflecting the potential of the walker to continue to practice such actions because of his intention based on a self which in reality does not exist.

The actions can be classified as meritorious or demeritorious based on the qualitative aspect of it.
If we now view this scenario in the context of the five aggregates in respect of the first person in the example, the five aggregates are mere sankhara including the aggregate of intention because there is no potential for continuity. Whereas in the context of the second person, the five aggregates are abisankhara, because due to ignorance, he has assumed a self as the doer – the walker – thus, tacitly accepting responsibility for “his” actions.

Now, coming to the translation of the word sankhara, the difficulty associated with capturing all the above nuances in one single word must be pretty evident. The only solution seems to be to use two words with and without the intentional aspect. The word “choice” seems to capture both these aspects since all choices are sankhara at the end of the day. But can all sankhara be choices?. Because they become choices only to the extent they are chosen. What about the ones not chosen?. It can be argued that even those not chosen are choices because they are available to choose from. But the key issue is whether this word captures the phenomenal, impermanent, unsatisfactory and non-self nature of all that exists including the six senses which we choose because of ignorance. Bhante Sujato seems to suggest that the phenomenal aspect is pure Abhidhamma and only secondary in the suttas which I fail to understand from Suttas like SN 12.20. Therefore, my personal stand is that “choice” does not capture that phenomenal aspect and I am not sure if it does more harm than good because someone reading it out of the context may come to wrong conclusions particularly with regard to the idea of self in relation to the six senses.

In conclusion, I would prefer Bhikkhu Bodhi’s translation of “formation” because IMO it captures the phenomenal, impermanent, unsatisfactory and non-self nature inherent in all that exists just like a mass of foam.
With Metta

5 Likes

My opinion.

Using the English word Choice to translate Sankhara seems to do away with the root san . Further how can it then be used with the terms kaya sankhara, vacci sankhara, and even with mano sankhara which is defined as perception and feelings, both which are not choices?

I have not read the complete thread above. However, if a reader is required to read such a prologue, then the choice of word is even more questionable.

1 Like

@sujato :anjal:

Bhante, please forgive me for bringing this up again.

when i am trying to meditate i am assailed by ruminating thoughts. This creates a lot of dukkha for me. Then surely it must be a clung to phenemona . Also i dont seem have much choice in the matter. I am assuming here ruminating thoughts come under sankhara upadana khanda. So my question is can it still be categorised as a choice ?

Sankhara has different meanings in different contexts. In that context, it means something like “process” and should be translated accordingly.

3 Likes

Dear Ven. Sujato,
When I replace choices with sankhara in the above two examples, I get:

“She made her sankhara, now she must live with it.”
“I’m lost because I have made some bad sankhara in my life”

These do not sound right.

The word “sankhara” be it polysemic, is the first time I see it being translated as “choices”, and I cannot agree with the translation. I will go as far as saying that the use of the word “choices” to translate “sankhara” harms the meaning of what is being translated.

Even in AN 3.23 Saṅkhāra sutta, where there seems some justification for the use of “choice”, it is debatable.

Idha, bhikkhave, ekacco puggalo sabyābajjhaṃ kāyasaṅkhāraṃ abhisaṅkharoti, sabyābajjhaṃ vacīsaṅkhāraṃ abhisaṅkharoti, sabyābajjhaṃ manosaṅkhāraṃ abhisaṅkharoti

Which you have translated as:

Firstly, a certain person makes hurtful choices by way of body, speech, and mind.

What does it mean to make an “hurtful choice” and more so a “choices by way of body”? Can the body make a hurtful choice?

If we take the phrase: sabyābajjhaṃ kāya’saṅkhāraṃ abhi’saṅkharoti

sabyābajjhaṃ : (sa +abyābajjhaṃ) with ill-will, with anger, with intent to harm/destroy
abhi’saṅkharoti : (abhi + sankharoti) to prepare, do, perform, work, get up
kāya’saṅkhāraṃ : formations relating to the body, e.g. physical acts.

Here, Bhikkhus, a person, with thoughts of ill-will forms the body…words…mind

The result of such kamma, the Sutta continues, is the arising in a world of harm/ill will.

Thus this is more than a choice.

with metta _ || _

PS. Having said the above I am most grateful for all your efforts and endeavours in translating and making the Suttas available.

4 Likes

Hi All,

I have a question. Something just came to mind while reading this article by Ajahn Thanissaro. I have highlighted the sentence that spurred this thought. My question is, is it this a valid way of viewing this aggregate: Sankhara is not self = free will is not self?

The translation @sujato is using is choices and choices seems, to me, to be synonymous with so called free will. Would it be right to say that we have free will and yet even our free choice is not self? I’m just wondering if this makes sense to use it this way in practice and if it is valid from the Buddha’s teaching and perspective.

"The passages related to the social virtues are the ones that sound the strangest. For example, “There is what is given.” This sounds perfectly obvious, but it had a special meaning in the time of the Buddha. For millennia, the brahmans had been preaching about the virtue of giving, especially when things were given to brahmans. In the texts of old brahmanical ceremonies for making merit for the dead, for example, there’s a part of the ceremony where the brahmans will address the bereaved and say, “We are speaking in the voice of your dead relatives: ‘Give to the brahmans!’” When the bereaved gave to the brahmans, the brahmans—again assuming the voice of the dead relatives—said, “Give more!”

You can imagine the reaction that eventually developed. Over the centuries, there sprang up schools of contemplatives who said, in reaction, that there is no virtue in giving. One of their arguments was that people do not have free will, therefore even when they give things, it doesn’t mean anything because they had no choice in the matter. Another argument against the merit of giving was that when people die, that’s the end, there’s nothing left over, so there’s no virtue in giving to something that will eventually die and be totally annihilated."

https://www.dhammatalks.org/books/KarmaOfMindfulness/Section0016.html?fbclid=IwAR2UYmuYymHwS7xYdyP03PpKAXPxLrEfnNmuC4xjmVfBdnDrbNQDEiRsx6U

With Metta,

Ami

There is not concept of free will in EBTs. At most you have “free won’t” in the form of the right sort of restraint and virtue the path factors of right thought, speech, action, livelihood and effort represent.

What we have is a dependent originated process through which choices/deeds influenced by ignorance of the four noble truths can only but perpetuate rebirth and the suffering it ensues.

Once choices/deeds are made under the influence of vision and knowledge brought by and related to the four noble truths, we have the dependent origination of the cessation of rebirth and the suffering it ensues.

Suttas like AN4.237 and AN10.61 are key to support this understanding:

https://suttacentral.net/an4.237/en/sujato

https://suttacentral.net/an10.61/en/sujato

:anjal:

4 Likes

For me the Buddhist equivalent of ‘free will’ is Cetanā. unfortunately we don’t have a totally free will . Cetanā is conditioned. That is to say, it is born out of contact.

“The man never feels the want of what it never occurs to him to ask for.” - Arthur Schopenhauer

@Gabriel_L
It certainly makes a lot of sense to translate sankhara in dependant origination as choice. But my doubt is in translating ‘Sankhara-upadana-Khanda’ as choices. It seems to miss other clung-to phenomena that cause suffering. For example “breath” . We certainly become stressed if breathing pattern becomes irregular or unusual. Another example, “thoughts”, especially ruminating thoughts.

1 Like

Yes, it seems to me that the concept of “free will” is an inappropriate one for Buddhism. It ultimately stems from theology, from the idea that God, though unconditioned and unconstrained, can make choices (“Let there be light!”) that affect the conditioned world. From a Buddhist point of view, this is incoherent.

6 Likes

Thank you Ajhan @sujato - it would seem to me at one ‘conventional level’ we can make choices, yet at another deep level of awareness and philosophical background, choices arise as causes and effects, thereby making free-will and a person to exercise that free-will, redundant and invalid. A self would require a self-extant entity, which causal chains render impossible as if a self would exist, only if there was a cause giving rise to this apparent self. I’m unconvinced about ‘choices’ or more specifically finding a single word to replace sankhara which is also contextually accurate across a broad range of settings and even within the five aggregates. I believe ‘abhisankhara’ as in defilements need to be accounted for, as well. Thought (vitakka and vicara) is famously considered Self -‘I think therefore I am’. I will leave this for your consideration.

Dear Matt,
Given that individuals have agency between choices, and with awareness can direct choices in a particular direction, there is an ability for the intellect, together with awareness, to overcome to some degree, the causes and conditions. Without this there would never be success in purposeful change. Whether this is called free will, or wisdom…

:anjal::dharmawheel:

2 Likes

@sujato :anjal:

Bhante, I think perhaps i now understand why you translated sankhara as choices. I used to take the definition given in Cūḷavedallasutta for sankhara as a definition for sankhara-upadanakhanda. But now on closer examination i see, it is describing processes that cease when you attain saññāvedayitanirodha.

conducting a short search of the suttas i came across two defintions for sankhara

1. Sankhara in dependant origination

Katame ca, bhikkhave, saṅkhārā?
Tayome, bhikkhave, saṅkhārā—
kāyasaṅkhāro,
vacīsaṅkhāro,
cittasaṅkhāro - SN12.2

1. Sankhara in upadana-khandas

Katame ca, bhikkhave, saṅkhārā? Chayime, bhikkhave, cetanākāyā-
rūpasañcetanā,
saddasañcetanā,
gandhasañcetanā,
rasasañcetanā,
phoṭṭhabbasañcetanā,
dhammasañcetanā -SN22.56

These two definitions seem to be connected by the following statement.

“Cetanāhaṃ, bhikkhave, kammaṃ vadāmi. Cetayitvā kammaṃ karoti. kāyena vācāya manasā.”

Is it ‘Cetanā’ that you translated as ‘choice’ ?

1 Like

Cetanā has the same or similar sense, but I translate it as intention.

But you are quite right, these are different contexts and we have to be careful not to confuse them.

2 Likes

Thank you Bhante for taking the time to explain your translation choice. Seems like one issue is that “choices” often refers to completed acts in common usage. However, might sankhara apply to volitions, motivations or intentions that have not yet been spoken or acted out? If so, perhaps choice might not fit mere contemplations or incomplete intentions as well as it would a completed intentional act, which perfectly matches “choice.” That said, in law, seems like attempted murder would still involve a choice resulting in criminal punishment even though the intentional act was not completed.

Also, seems like volitions, motivations and/or intentions are swirling around in the mind most of the day and some culminate in completed actions or speech while some may be limited to contemplation and rumination. And regardless of whether our volitions culminate in completed choices or not, seems like they all affect our future and keep us stuck in samsara. So, I just wonder if translating sankhara as choices might somewhat minimize the more subtle volitions that don’t manifest into speech or action to the extent that we would normally call a choice. This seemed worth bringing up for discussion since these subtle volitions might play a substantial role in our being bound to samsara.

Upon further reflection, I understand why you say:

Perhaps volition doesn’t seem so obscure now to me because I’ve been reading it in sutta study for quite a few years now. However, for many people, volition may seem obscure; thus, the conundrum:-)

with metta and gratitude for having a forum like this to investigate the dhamma.

5 Likes

Do they? Ultimate or conventionally.

There is perceived choice- but in reality the ‘choice’ is governed by previous causes. The Buddha is the cause for the dhamma to be proclaimed- we hear the dhamma, and that becomes cause for ‘intentional’ practice. If someone has samadhi incorrectly directed they will not see causes generating effects, in real-time.

1 Like

AN3.77

The intention and aim of sentient beings—hindered by ignorance and fettered by craving—is established in a lower realm. That’s how there is rebirth into a new state of existence in the future.

The intention and aim of sentient beings—hindered by ignorance and fettered by craving—is established in a middle realm. That’s how there is rebirth into a new state of existence in the future.

The intention and aim of sentient beings—hindered by ignorance and fettered by craving—is established in a higher realm. That’s how there is rebirth into a new state of existence in the future.

1 Like

I was thinking in terms of volition

For me it is a question of scale. There is never only one choice, but any situation generates a variety of choice options. While causes and conditions influence the inclination or direction of choices, there is a cummulative effect > new causes and conditions generated by each subsequent choice (nuance).
If there was no possibility of influencing choices at all, then there would be no point to the Noble 8 fold Path, the gradual training, or even insight. But these things all contribute directly to beneficial change in terms of reducing suffering and of liberation.

I agree that humans are just a mass of programmable causes and effects - just a natural process - no self, but over many lifetimes, and as a direct result of growth in awareness and wisdom directed change is possible. In terms of psychological interventions, one can definitely observe that some individuals have characteristics that enable purposeful change. This is often linked to insight, motivation to lessen suffering/increase well being, and ability to untangle belief systems that bind one in place.

I believe these skills and abilities are also determined by causes and conditions, but also by “opportunities” generated in the external environment. They may start off extremely small, but over time (macro level) they increase (or decrease), dependent of patterns emerging, from the complex interplay of internal and external factors.

Eg.

But if someone finds a teacher, or reads a post on the forum, etc, then one may adapt to that external information/opportunity. So while the ability to make beneficial choices and to ‘incline’ in a particular direction may be larger or smaller with different individuals, it changes. ie it may take a longer or shorter period of time for a person to become aware of causes generating effects, but once it happens, there is greater ability to break old patterns and create new ones.

Not a very clear post - sorry… But ultimately I believe that if humans had no capacity for insight into the effect of causes and effects, then the Dhamma would be pointless, and working towards the lessening of suffering in life, and towards liberation from birth, could not work - but it does!
All the stories of individuals becoming enlightened by the Buddhas teachings would make no sense.
But I have seen evidence of change, and as such cannot agree with your view of complete predetermination, and absence of any ability to influence causes, or to unravel/change the impact of conditioning on behaviour and awareness.

Causes:

Effects:

Their capacity is because causes give rise to effects (as above).

I see them as Buddha being the cause and practice in another being the resulting effect.

Is there partial predetermination? :shushing_face:

‘Conventional’ language: ‘I can influence change’. Yes, certainly.
Ultimate language: 5 aggregates, including intention arises only due to causes. No self-extant decider or choices are there to be seen in the past or the present.

1 Like

I think I see the difference of our perspectives… Process v/s outcomes.

Process/mechanism is completely determined by causes and conditions

Outcome is variable

:slightly_smiling_face:

2 Likes

Hey Matt, you’ve caused me a lack of sleep - or is it that my desire to investigate this question caused it?? :wink::rofl: Thanks for providing the opportunity to ponder this from a different angle.

The lack of congruence in the 2 positions was really bothering me, ie that one needs to be able to influence ones actions in order to follow the path, but that free-will seems to imply a self.

The process of life is a ‘natural process’ and needs no self to direct things
-but like every single snow flake is unique, due to causes and conditions, (temperature, impurities in cloud, molecules impacted on trajectory, even history of bonding amongst the specific molecules in the H2O etc) - so too is each human being unique.
So while the appearance of a self and ‘free will’ is there (delusion) - it isn’t, just the ‘processing’ does the job . But this isn’t the same as being an automaton, with no capacity to effect different outcomes. The interplay between intellect, insight, memory, external ‘stuff’ and kamma bring about the results we discussed above, and hence variable outcomes, which in turn put in place other causes and conditions. whew… :sweat_smile: glad to have sorted that out in my mind :rofl::sweat_smile::dharmawheel::dharmawheel::dharmawheel:

2 Likes