Faith and confidence

Dear Bhante Sujato and Ajahn Brahmali and everyone,

I hope this finds you all very well and happy. :smiley:

Iā€™ve been listening with interest to the differing ways for translating ā€˜saddhaā€™.

I would like to respectfully add my two cents.

Ajahn Brahmali, I think youā€™ve mentioned that some who come from theistic religions, do not like the word ā€˜faithā€™ because of its association with a lack of questioning and so on.

Well Iā€™ld like to suggest, that the problem with such life experiences, is not the use of the word ā€˜faithā€™. Rather, it is with a lack of inquiry, a lack of questioning and little or no emphasis on investigation within some religious groups. I suggest that poor old ā€˜faithā€™, became the scape goat.

I would like to suggest that there is a place, and indeed a time, perhaps a better word would be, situationā€¦there is a situation where a lack of questioning becomes something that must be cultivated and also perfected. I suggest that this is part of the process of letting go that is meditation.

I remember Ajahn Brahm talking about how Christian mystics of the middle ages who talked about mystical states where they experienced union with god, probably experienced first jhana. I remember him talking about how they would have to ā€˜surrender to godā€™ā€¦thatā€™s how they were able to let go. Their deep trust in god allowed them to let goā€¦they didnā€™t question anything at that point and I imagine their questioning lessened and lessened the closer they got to ā€˜godā€™ā€¦their sense of sureness and certainty wouldā€™ve been immense afterwards. They trusted so completely that the word ā€˜trustā€™ doesnā€™t really do it justice.

My conditioning around the word faith was listening to Ajahn Brahm give a talk on it many years ago at Bodhinyana. He talked about the ā€˜fatih mindā€™ and how itā€™s soft and devotional, basically how itā€™s conducive to letting go. The last time someone asked me about faith, I said it was a mental construct which was also a useful strategy to cultivate in this spiritual path. Now I feel that I could also have said that itā€™s an emotional state that is a very useful strategy in growing and developing the path. Faith is a feeling, emotionā€¦itā€™s an adjective to describe a mind state, itā€™s also a noun when itā€™s something ā€˜out thereā€™ and outside of usā€¦but for meā€¦itā€™s a verbā€¦itā€™s very much a nice feely touchy love soaked strategy!!

So my initial conditioning around the word was hearing Ajahn Brahm speak. My initial conditioning around the experience of it was being 11 or 12 years old, having absolutely no understanding of Buddhism (beyond some basic chanting and rituals) and going to the temple with my grandmother, or doing a simple puja at the little shrine in our garden. I didnā€™t know what the heck was going on, or what the heck I was chantingā€¦but I rememberā€¦very clearlyā€¦my heart was full of feeling. Now I look back, I label it faith. Just pure blind faith. A powerful emotion, easily misplaced. Luckily for me, mine was channeled in a fruitful direction and I became, for a while, a pain in the neck questioner, (for which opportunity, Iā€™m hugely grateful). Which, naturally, reinforced my confidenceā€¦however, my faith was only reinforced, not by questioning, but by deep intuitive moments of personal experienceā€¦moments of utter feelingā€¦whether it was because I was listening to another speak, or reflecting on a personal meditation.

With much respect and gratitude to all who prefer the word confidenceā€¦it just doesnā€™t point to the same emotion for me. As a child, Iā€™m much happier having absolute faith that my mum is going to feed me soon. To say that I have confidence that sheā€™s going to feed me soon, implies, to my mind anyway, a certain slight doubt that perhaps, due to some exceptional circumstances perhaps, she wonā€™t. Thereā€™s also a slight sense of fear, a feeling of a small lack of safetyā€¦confidence doesnā€™t suggest that comfortable (often misplaced) perception of sureness or 100% certainty.

ā€˜Confidenceā€™ doesnā€™t, for me, suggest that deep emotional trust. The sort of thing where youā€™d allow yourself to fall, utterly sure, 100%, that all is well. There is something in faith, which suggests safety and love and comfort and even pleasure. (I think thatā€™s why we can become so deeply wounded and mistrustful if we lose faith in something that we once had deep faith in. I think thereā€™s a link between faith and loving attachmentā€¦so falling in and out of faithā€¦falling in and out of loveā€¦the extremes of pleasure and pain.)

I agree that along this path, ā€˜reasoned faithā€™ is essential. However, I think there are special situations where, a sort of ā€˜informed blind faithā€™ is essential for letting go and also for motivation to practice. Itā€™s got the qualities of surrender and trust and devotion that blind faith hasā€¦but itā€™s also based on oneā€™s own practice, oneā€™s own understanding and also oneā€™s experience of the Dhammaā€¦it comes from within.

To split a few more hairs: I suggest that ā€˜reasoned faithā€™ is the sort that comes from say, listening to Ajahn Brahm talk about meditationā€¦itā€™s an event that may be hugely inspiring of ā€˜confidenceā€™, but itā€™s based on something external. ā€˜Informed blind faithā€™ is the sort that comes from using this kind of talk to practice, not just in one sitting, but over many years according to such teachings, to ask relevant questions, to test different things out, to see if itā€™s true for oneselfā€¦thus one comes to trust oneself, to develop a love of the Dhamma and even a fondness and strong respect for those whoā€™ve helped one practice it and grow a little bit within itā€¦the faith quality deepens in love and trustā€¦things change internallyā€¦practice changes, life changesā€¦the informed nature of ā€˜informed blind faithā€™ grows stronger and strongerā€¦thus one lets go moreā€¦letting go moreā€¦the blind quality of ā€˜informed blind faithā€™ grows and grows. Iā€™ve often heard it said, that meditation is not the place for thinking, for questioningā€¦you do that before and afterā€¦you culitvate stillness during the meditationā€¦to disable the importance we place on thoughts during the meditation itself we have to suspend our love affair with wanting to know everything right now, to question, to possess knowledge, to be in control in these ways. ā€˜Confidenceā€™ is not going to give up such ā€œI affirmingā€ occupations as ā€˜wanting to knowā€™. Whereas, ā€˜faithā€™, the type that, yes, does have a certain lovestruck blindness to it, may just allow these ways of controlling to be suspended temporarily within the parameters of a meditation that has already been heavily informed by other aspects of Dhamma practice.

In closing, Iā€™d like to ask forgiveness if this post causes offense to anyone; especially if the word ā€˜faithā€™ has come to be associated with disappointment or hurt in other circles/traditions. Iā€™m humbly suggesting that faith was the baby in the dirty bath waterā€¦to paraphrase that old saying thenā€¦perhaps we donā€™t need to throw the baby out with the bath water.

With much metta to all.

9 Likes

Thanks, that was a beautiful post. I have been thinking about this issue, and I may have to change my mind back from confidence to faith once more!

2 Likes

Thanks for your reflections on this faculty and power. My feeling is that faith comes from the heart and runs deep. It is intuitive. Confidence is gained after careful consideration. It is intelligent. I like them both.

With Metta, Vimokkha

2 Likes