Fill us with happiness: tell us about all our mistakes!

Continuing from:

Thanks for letting us know what we can improve! :pray:

• When it comes to legacy translations—i.e. translations that we have inherited from elsewhere—corrections will be limited to obvious typos and mistakes. While we try to source the best quality work we can, it’s not our job to edit or correct other peoples’ translations.
  • We do not make any changes to the original-language texts in Pali, Sanskrit, etc.
  • For website bugs, best open a new thread, as they can sometimes be a bit complex to figure out.
4 Likes

Well then, someone has to start … :smiley:

Hatthaka of Āḷavī is in some places spelled Aḷavī, with short “A”. I think the long “A” is what it should be.

Thanks! I guess I must have subconsciously though the initial a was short and lengthened in forms such as ālavikā. But yes, it’s long.

2 Likes

In AN 8.6, “praise” and “blame” should still be switched in segments 3.11-12 and 5.8-9.

1 Like

done, thanks so much

1 Like

I saw you’ve usually given hyphens to tree-shrines. In DN 16:3.10.1 and 3.37.4 there are still some without.

The same in Ud 1.7:1.2, Ud 6.1:15.1, SN 10.4:1.1, SN 51.10:17.1, AN 8.70:10.1, and Dhp 188:3.

Oh, and I just notice that some of the Tree-shrines with hyphen have a capital “T”, while others don’t. We should probably all make more offerings to the goddess of the Consistency-Tree-Shrine!

:bowing_man: :bowing_man: :bowing_man: :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

3 Likes

These headache-prone Suttas give rise to headaches …pe… :face_with_head_bandage:

SN14.9:3.1: Rūpadhātuṁ, bhikkhave, paṭicca uppajjati rūpasaññā, rūpasaññaṁ paṭicca uppajjati rūpasaṅkappo, rūpasaṅkappaṁ paṭicca uppajjati rūpasamphasso, rūpasamphassaṁ paṭicca uppajjati rūpasamphassajā vedanā, rūpasamphassajaṁ vedanaṁ paṭicca uppajjati rūpacchando, rūpacchandaṁ paṭicca uppajjati rūpapariḷāho, rūpapariḷāhaṁ paṭicca uppajjati rūpapariyesanā, rūpapariyesanaṁ paṭicca uppajjati rūpalābho …pe…
The sight element gives rise to the perception of sights. The perception of sights gives rise to thoughts about sights. Thoughts about sights give rise to the desire for sights. The desire for sights gives rise to the passion for sights. The passion for sights gives rise to searching for sights. Searching for sights gives rise to gaining sights …

Contacts and feelings are lacking in English; same in the following segment. Also in SN 14.10:3.4.

Blurb to SN 14.12:

Thoughts of sensuality, ill-will, and delusion arise due to a series of causes.

It’s actually thoughts of sensuality, ill-will, and cruelty. Which doesn’t mean that cruelty has nothing to do with delusion …

In SN 14.12: Is it really idiomatic English to say “harmlessness perceptions”? Sounds odd to me. :thinking:

I have duly worshipped at the tree-shrine of consistency! Use capitals where it is part of a proper name; always use hyphen.

Yeah, thanks, this is too much for an early morning fix, but I fixed it anyway.

fixed.

No you’re right, “perceptions of harmlessness”, also same for “thoughts of harmlessness”.

2 Likes

This is from abbreviations: Screenshot 2022-07-11 at 4.23.59 PM

And there is this:

1 Like

SN14.14:4.2: Hīnādhimuttikā hīnādhimuttikehi saddhiṁ saṁsandanti samenti;
Those who have bad convictions come together and converge with those who have a bad attitude.

The entire Sutta speaks about “convictions”, but this segment has one “attitude”. As you have recently replaced attitudes by convictions, I have the firm conviction that this one attitude has escaped the cleanup.

1 Like

Thanks, we updated the UID but not the Abbreviations file. Let me know if you find any other cases!

You know what they say about attachment to views!

Iti 78 had the same problem, both are fixed now.

1 Like

Yeah, I do! It’s hardly 24 hours now, and my conviction that anything could escape your thorough attitude cleanup has crumbled to dust …

1 Like

Blurb to AN 4.269

Harsh speech leads to hell, hrash speech leads to heaven.

How kind is “hrash” speech? :wink:

Thanks for adding the missing blurbs! :+1:

The title of AN 11.22-29 is “Numbered Discourses 11.22”. Should be “Numbered Discourses 11.22-29”.

Usually, the chapter titles have their numbers with them. But in all Suttas of the fourth chapter of SN 14, the title is only “Chapter Four” instead of “4. Chapter Four”.

SN14.31:2.9: yo vāyodhātuyā chandarāgavinayo chandarāgappahānaṁ, idaṁ vāyodhātuyā nissaraṇaṁ’.
Removing and giving up desire and greed for the air element: this is its escape.

Add closing single quote mark.

Bhante, I wasn’t really clear here. I saw the change you made. But I think neither “hrash” nor “harsh” speech leads to heaven, but it should be something a bit kinder.

1 Like

:scream_cat:

2 Likes

The same in SN 15, chapter one and chapter two.

Should we have numbers at all? Is my dilemma. I’ll put them in for consistency, while thinking of ways to eliminate them.

The rationale for having them is this.

We typically don’t reference texts by way of vagga, so those numbers are not in our UIDs. However, traditional reference systems do include the vagga. So it’s not a bad idea to include them. But it would be better if we could separate the vagga numbers from the text, so that the text/translation didn’t have numbers in them at all. I’m just not sure how to do it.

1 Like

Thanks for opening the discussion on numbering. It’s a complex thing to think about.

1 Like

SN15.8:2.1: “Sakkā pana, bho gotama, upamaṁ kātun”ti?
“But sir, can you give a simile?”

Should be “master Gotama”, not “sir”.

MN2:6.2: Yassa, bhikkhave, dhamme manasikaroto anuppanno vā kāmāsavo uppajjati, uppanno vā kāmāsavo pavaḍḍhati;
They are the things that, when attention is paid to them, give rise to unarisen defilements and make arisen defilements grow; the defilements of sensual desire,

Should be “defilement of sensual desire” instead of “defilements”.

Again in segments 6.7, 10.2, and 10.7.

iti27:3.1: Seyyathāpi, bhikkhave, yā kāci tārakarūpānaṁ pabhā sabbā tā candiyā pabhāya kalaṁ nāgghanti soḷasiṁ, candapabhāyeva tā adhiggahetvā bhāsate ca tapate ca virocati ca;
It’s like how the radiance of all the stars is not worth a sixteenth part of the moon’s radiance. Surpassing them, the moon’s radiance by love shines and glows and radiates.

The moon’s radiance shines and glows and radiates, not the moon’s radiance by love. Although it’s a nice idea that the moon is radiating out of love! :heart: