Fill us with happiness: tell us about all our mistakes!

Elsewhere, “allocator” is used for gāhāpaka, like “lodgings allocator” in AN 5.273–285. Also, “meal-allocator” has a hyphen and “lodgings allocator” has not, which is why one is found by searching for “allocator”, and the other one not.

1 Like

@cdpatton typo in the English “Kālāmas, they comes from your own lack of pure knowledge”.

https://suttacentral.net/ma16/en/patton?layout=plain&reference=none&notes=asterisk&highlight=false&script=latin

2 Likes

https://suttacentral.net/an6.55/en/sujato

When you were still a layman, weren’t you a good harp player?” kusalo tvaṁ pubbe agāriyabhūto vīṇāya tantissare”ti?

https://suttacentral.net/thag13.1/en/sujato

When my energy was over-exerted, Accāraddhamhi vīriyamhi, the supreme Teacher in the world satthā loke anuttaro; created the simile of the lute for me. Vīṇopamaṁ karitvā me, The Seer taught the Dhamma, dhammaṁ desesi cakkhumā; and when I heard what he said, Tassāhaṁ vacanaṁ sutvā, I happily did his bidding. vihāsiṁ sāsane rato.

Personally, I think it’s better just to call it a vina, since it’s still an instrument played today, and it’s called a vina. It’s true that “lute” can be a general term for a stringed instrument, but the vina is quite unique, and unlike any western lute.

In any case, it’s not a harp by any stretch of the imagination. Unless I’m totally off base on this, which I could be.

1 Like

Wikipedia begs to differ. It seems the ancient vina is quite unlike today’s veena, so calling it a “harp” seems to be not only more intelligible to the average reader, but more accurate as well:

2 Likes

Well, at least I got something right!

3 Likes

Bhante @Snowbird’s new Sutta diff tool reveals some subtle differences between MN 10 and DN 22, like for example:

Screenshot from 2022-10-02 14-29-01

The phrase abhūtaṁ atacchaṁ anatthasaṁhitaṁ is translated “untrue, false, and pointless” in DN 29, and “untrue, false, and harmful” in MN 139 and MN 58.

The index of similes gives SN35.205 for the lute simile, and I can’t see a lute simile in that sutta. Am I missing something?

1 Like

Yes, unfortunately the indexes as they are have a number of errors. Well I should say no small number of errors. For the simile index they have already been all listed together.

Also, you may consider that what is called “lute” in one translation is perhaps called “harp” in another translation. But surely in SN 35 there is not a single correct link in this index.

The simile you are looking for is found in SN 35.246.

1 Like

The wealth of faith, ethical conduct, conscience, prudence, learning, generosity, and wisdom.
https://suttacentral.net/an7.5/en/sujato

The wealth of faith, ethics, learning, generosity, and wisdom.
https://suttacentral.net/an5.47/en/sujato

Usually it’s just “ethics” I think.

1 Like

In SN 23.3, the phrase upayupādānā cetaso adhiṭṭhānābhinivesānusayā is translated “any attraction, grasping, mental fixation, insistence, and underlying tendencies” in segment 1.5; in segment 1.11 (where the Pali is abbreviated) it’s “any becoming involved, grasping, mental fixation, insistence, and underlying tendencies”.

SN 23.12 translates māradhamma as “Māra-like nature”, but the blurb says:

Rādha asks the Buddha about being subject to Māra, and the Buddha explains in terms of the five aggregates.

The Vagga Sutta SN 23.23–33 is called SN 23.23 in English.

Screenshot from 2022-10-05 21-32-10

SN24.1:1.4: ‘na vātā vāyanti, na najjo sandanti, na gabbhiniyo vijāyanti, na candimasūriyā udenti vā apenti vā esikaṭṭhāyiṭṭhitā’”ti?
‘Winds don’t blow; rivers don’t flow; pregnant women don’t give birth; the moon and stars neither rise nor set, but stand firm like a pillar.’”

Between single and double closing quote there should still be a question mark.

SN24.1:4.11: “Yampidaṁ diṭṭhaṁ sutaṁ mutaṁ viññātaṁ pattaṁ pariyesitaṁ anuvicaritaṁ manasā tampi niccaṁ vā aniccaṁ vā”ti?
“That which is seen, heard, thought, known, sought, and explored by the mind: is that permanent or impermanent?”

“Attained” is lacking in the list.

I’m not sure if anyone else has this issue. I keep seeing null when I try to look for parallels. This issue is only observable on my Firefox browser. It works just fine on Google Chrome.

1 Like

Regarding the following from the second pārājika rule for bhikkhus:

On one occasion a monk, out of compassion, released a deer trapped in a snare. … released a deer trapped in a snare, intending to steal it before the owners found it. … out of compassion, released fish trapped in a fish-net … released fish trapped in a fish-net, intending to steal them before the owners found them. He became anxious … “You have committed an offense entailing expulsion.”

Though it does faithfully adhere to the form of the Pali, the manner of abridging also gives the misleading impression that a bhikkhu who releases a trapped deer or fish out of compassion would thereby commit a defeating offence, when in fact the act would be a non-offence. Wouldn’t it be better to use the expansive and disambiguating method found in the Thai, Portuguese and I.B. Horner renderings?

On one occasion a monk, feeling compassion, released a deer trapped in a snare. … “There’s no offense for one who is motivated by compassion.” he released a deer trapped in a snare, intending to steal it before the owners saw it. … “You have committed an offense entailing expulsion.” … feeling compassion, released fish trapped in a fish-net … “There’s no offense for one who is motivated by compassion.” … he released fish trapped in a fish-net, intending to steal them before the owners saw it. He became remorseful … “You have committed an offense entailing expulsion.”

@Brahmali

https://suttacentral.net/pli-tv-bu-vb-pj2/en/brahmali

2 Likes

The view rūpī attā hoti arogo paraṁ maraṇā is translated “The self is physical and well after death” in DN 1 and DN 29, whereas in SN 24.37, etc., it is “The self has form and is well after death”.

Etaṁmamādisutta is translated “This is Mine, Etc.” in SN 24.20–35, and “This is Not Mine, Etc.” in SN 24.46–69 and in SN 24.72–95.

SN24.70:1.3: ‘adukkhamasukhī attā hoti arogo paraṁ maraṇā’”ti?
“‘The self is neither happy nor suffering, and is well after death’?”

Remove opening double quote mark, it’s already in the previous sentence.

In SN 24 in many of the Suttas about the self being happy, suffering, etc., “after death” has dropped in translation. I mean, it’s all very abbreviated, so maybe it’s on purpose.

The phrase karoto na karīyati pāpaṁ is sometimes translated “the one who acts does nothing wrong”, sometimes “nothing bad is done by the doer” (and likewise for karoto karīyati pāpaṁ).

@HongDa This is happening all over SuttaCentral, and I get random “nulls” using Chrome, too. I think there’s some lookup issue taking place. Some Chinese sutras don’t load at all (like SA740 as a handy example).

3 Likes

Yes, I’m occasionally getting nulls in Chrome as well. No clear pattern to them unfortunately

Can also confirm, nulls everywhere

Thanks, Venerable! My assumption was that the reader would spot the pattern, given by the previous case concerning a pig. But on reflection, I agree that it is important to be clear in the case of pārājika offences. Just blindly following the contractions given in the original is not a good policy. And so I will update my translation to make things clearer. Also, I intend to shamelessly steal your expression “feeling compassion”, which flows better. You should have copyrighted it!

I appreciate your feedback.

3 Likes

Thanks, bhante, but I’m afraid it’s not my expression. It’s what I copied and pasted from the Sutta Central Legacy site, supposing it to be either original Horner or Brahmali-modified Horner.
:smiley:

2 Likes

It’s not I.B. Horner’s, so it must be my own earlier translation. :man_facepalming:

4 Likes

@sujato

It seems you overlooked translating “Pubbadevatā” below:

‘Brahmā’ is a term for your parents.
‘Brahmā’ti, bhikkhave, mātāpitūnaṁ etaṁ adhivacanaṁ.
‘First teachers’ is a term for your parents.
‘Pubbadevatā’ti, bhikkhave, mātāpitūnaṁ etaṁ adhivacanaṁ.
‘First teachers’ is a term for your parents.
‘Pubbācariyā’ti, bhikkhave, mātāpitūnaṁ etaṁ adhivacanaṁ.

Iti 106

2 Likes