Fill us with happiness: tell us about all our mistakes!

Thanks. In other cases I got the numbers right, but used a hyphen instead of en-dash! Mortifying!

ok

Ngl I looked at this for the longest time thinking, but there is nothing wrong!

live as your

Oops!

Yes, the Pali form is Inda, but I use Indra as it is more familiar.

fixed

This is correct. I use “gods” for deva and “deities” for devatā, the utter arbitrariness of which is shown in this example:

an8.46: manāpakāyikā devatā
an5.33: manāpakāyikānaṁ devānaṁ

It seems to be a thing with the manuscript lineages. The Burmese texts appear it use Phagguna, and MS notes Phagguṇa as a variant reading. Having said which, both PTS and BJT use Phagguna in MN. BB has Phagguna in MN and SN, and Phagguṇa in AN. Normally in such cases I just follow his choice, but given that Phagguna seems to be favored in the editions I will stick with that throughout.

Yes. In fact, use “liable to wear out” everywhere, replacing “liable to fall apart”.

It’s a tricky one, but well-spotted. For now, standardize on “turbulence is a disease, a boil, a dart.”.

But TBH I don’t think either is quite right. The passage in DN exactly parallels another phrase where taṇhā is used instead, which is why I used “passion”. But in the SN examples, the context is conceit, not craving.

The root sense is “motion”, and it is most commonly used in the 4th jhana and above as the “imperturbable”.

Probably the most correct English translation would be “emotion”. The 4th jhana is characterized by an end to pleasure and pain and hence “emotionless”. And to by “moved” or “emotional” is to be passionate. But it doesn’t really work, because “emotion” is a good thing, and it includes “equanimous emotion”, despite the fact that it goes against the root meaning of the word.

“Apathetic” in its literal sense would also be similar, but again usage is against it.

Anyway for now I will keep “imperturbable” and related words like “turbulence”.

thx

Yes, also in thag 17 it should be:

When in a meditation free of placing the mind,

Yes, it differs from an4.257

Yes, this is correct. I translate āyatana as “dimension” in the context of meditation and “field” in the context of the senses. Normally there are the eight “dimensions of mastery” = eight kinds of meditation. Here we unusually have six “fields of mastery” for the six sense fields.

Indeed. The same problem also in mn102, sn12.12 and elsewhere.

This is a really good use case for Bilara’s simultaneous translation + Pali search!

Hmm, keep “exists”, altho I kinda like “survives”.

thx, fixed.

No, this is correct and Bodhi is mistaken here. The Pali is singular, and refers to grasping the process of being attached to sights, etc. The commentary confirms this meaning:

Tannissitaṃ viññāṇaṃ hotīti taṇhānissitaṃ kammaviññāṇaṃ hoti
“consciousness relies on that” means “the kamma-consciousness is reliant on craving”.

Indeed you are quite right, thanks for pointing it out. I have fixed it now.

Yes, it is an unusual variant but appears to be correct as-is.

Thanks so much to everyone for their suggestions. All suggestions are most appreciated and valuable, even the ones I do not end up adopting! They all give me the chance to review and check the details.

I’ll close this thread now and open a new one.

3 Likes