Fill us with happiness: tell us about all our mistakes!

Yes, exactly, as it is a skeleton, the ribs suggest themselves for the stabbing. And thanks, I’ve missed the extra verb vitudenti.

I also learned from your post how to do this impressive highlighting! :laughing:

The German translator, Ven. Nyanaponika, has of all this Saṁyutta only translated the first Sutta, as well as the 17th about the bad monk, because he found them too grotesque and disgusting to translate; no mention of ribs there in SN 19.1.

This is about AN1.394-574 & AN1.575-627.

When seen all together in the view I have linked, it is apparent that each individual sutta differs slightly from the next in the series.

However, if browsing the individual suttas, eg, AN1.394, AN1.395… each sutta is an exact replica of the first of the series. The differences are missing.

4 Likes

Oh yes, there’s definitely a bug there. The individual texts also have a bit of stray extra text at the end. We’ll fix it!

Huh, interesting.

2 Likes

Iti 71

maybe ‘ly’ at the end of heaven?

3 Likes

Thanks, “heavenly realm”.

3 Likes

https://suttacentral.net/thig13.5/en/soma?layout=plain&reference=none&notes=asterisk&highlight=false&script=latin

Translated by Ayya Soma but the publication data is wrong. Maybe this is something @carmi works on?

1 Like

Thank you for finding this! The source URL also goes to sujato, not to soma. As Voice looks at _publication.json, we have been struggling with this issue for quite a while, with no success. Because we haven’t seen the root of the problem!

2 Likes

Thanks @Snowbird I’ll need to check with Hongda. Not sure why those publication details are being displayed. Ayya Soma’s publication details are available.

2 Likes

This is indeed strange.

Meanwhile Karl managed to fix the problem on our side, and it will be working on Voice in due time … that is, some months. :hourglass_flowing_sand: :hourglass_flowing_sand: :hourglass_flowing_sand:

1 Like

SN20.10:1.2: Tena kho pana samayena aññataro bhikkhu ativelaṁ kulesu cārittaṁ āpajjati.
Now at that time a certain junior mendicant socialized with families too often.

He isn’t junior; just a certain mendicant. (Probably this has been mistakenly copied from the previous Sutta, where it is indeed a junior mendicant.)

Is there a reason why at the end of some Therigatha verses there is an elipses only segment in the Pali?

It produces some odd results, even on the SC website…
Bhante Sujato:

Ayya Soma:

1 Like

There’s this term ahaṅkāramamaṅkāra. Sometimes it is translated as “ego and possessiveness”, and sometimes as “I-making and mine-making”.

In DN 10:2.27.3 there are “clay drums” and “clay-drums” even in the same segment. The same in DN 2:90.1.

SN40.2:1.1: “‘Dutiyaṁ jhānaṁ, dutiyaṁ jhānan’ti vuccati.
“They speak of this thing called the ‘second absorption’.
SN40.2:1.2: Katamaṁ nu kho dutiyaṁ jhānanti?
What is the second absorption?”
SN40.2:1.3: Tassa mayhaṁ, āvuso, etadahosi:
It occurred to me:

Here and in the following Suttas we have a confusing situation with the quote marks. The Sutta starts out with Moggallana quoting his own thought, and the introductory part is left out. The Pali has a double plus single quote mark at the start, the English just the double.

There should probably be no closing quote mark in translation at the end of segment 1.2, as Moggallana continues speaking; or else segment 1.1 should start with double plus single quote mark, and at the end of segment 1.2 there should be a single closing quote mark (and in that case “second absorption” be set in double quotes). :thinking:

2 Likes

Think I found another uncontained segment:

There is a closing p tag, but the opening in missing in dn3:1.2.3

sn46.55.12.4 is missing an opening <p>

sn46.130:1.9 missing opening and closing

iti78:2.3 should be wrapped in p

This one really stumped me:

an1.454:1.1 doesn’t have a {} in it. I think that’s a no-no, eh?

Just an FYI, I found these by hiding all the text in the document that was inside p and ol tags but not hiding h tags. Then i just visually scanned the results. I checked DN, MN, SN, AN, Dhp, Ud, Iti, Snp, Thag, and Thig.

4 Likes

Blurb to SN 21.2:

Sāriputta says that there is nothing whose change, even the Buddha, would cause him sorrow.

This sentence sounds strange to me.

Maybe: “there is nothing, even the Buddha, whose change would cause him sorrow”.

vipariṇāmaññathābhāvā is sometimes translated as “decay and perish”, sometimes as “change and perish”.

AN7.56:1.3: Atha kho dve devatā abhikkantāya rattiyā abhikkantavaṇṇā kevalakappaṁ gijjhakūṭaṁ obhāsetvā yena bhagavā tenupasaṅkamiṁsu; upasaṅkamitvā bhagavantaṁ abhivādetvā ekamantaṁ aṭṭhaṁsu. Ekamantaṁ ṭhitā kho ekā devatā bhagavantaṁ etadavoca:
Then, late at night, a glorious deity, lighting up the entire Vulture’s Peak, went up to the Buddha, bowed, stood to one side, and said to him,

There are two deities visiting the Buddha, not one … this has also implications in other segments.

SN1.38:2.1: Atha kho sattasatā satullapakāyikā devatāyo abhikkantāya rattiyā abhikkantavaṇṇā kevalakappaṁ maddakucchiṁ obhāsetvā yena bhagavā tenupasaṅkamiṁsu; upasaṅkamitvā bhagavantaṁ abhivādetvā ekamantaṁ aṭṭhaṁsu.
Then, late at night, several glorious deities of the Satullapa Group, lighting up the entire Maddakucchi, went up to the Buddha, bowed, and stood to one side.

It’s “seven hundred”, not “several”. (Although it’s only seven who speak.)

In AN 9.3 and Ud 4.1, kulaputta has been translated as “kinsman” and not, as usually, “gentleman”.

I noticed that SN12.93-213 doesn’t have the full range in the Pali segment title:

Whereas in other places the Pali title would have the range, e.g.

You can see 83–92. there.

As I said before, I’m not sure if you are trying to phase out having the sutta numbers there.

I also notice that this is the only h1 in the SN where it only has the class range-title

Usually in the SN the h1 will only have sutta-title. However there are 11 cases where it has both, e.g.

I can’t see anything special about these 11 headings that makes them special ranges. I’m sure it doesn’t make any difference on the main site, however if range-title isn’t actually used it would be great to just remove it so the text was consistent.

Seems like range-title is more common at the start of AN, but still used inconsistently.

1 Like

https://suttacentral.net/sa8/en/patton?layout=plain&reference=none&notes=asterisk&highlight=false&script=latin

“They don’t look back to past consciousness, don’t wishing for future consciousness,”

4 Likes

Perhaps call @cdpatton’s attention.

3 Likes

Thanks! I don’t watch the forum much these days, so email or tagging will definitely work best for reaching me.

3 Likes

I’m hesitant to mention this since this might be in flux right now…

The ~ is appearing at the beginning of the yellow bar area because I believe you have given this as the Pali title when there is none. Looks a little odd.

Also this…

That “On Display: Title of Section Only” looks like an error.

I wish people could understand how many idiosyncrasies there are in the texts. Not mistakes, just places where things vary from a pattern. I only work in the Pali texts and they seem endless. I can’t imagine all that you are going through to keep up with these things across different languages. Thanks for all the hard work!

1 Like

“Stop right there, shaveling!Right there, fake ascetic!Right there, lowlife!” - Space after the exclamation mark not appearing on my phone.

“When he said this, the Buddha said to him, “But brahmin, do you know what is a lowlife or what are the qualities that make you a lowlife?”“No I do not, Master Gotama.Please, Master”

https://suttacentral.net/snp1.7/en/sujato?layout=plain&reference=none&notes=asterisk&highlight=false&script=latin

1 Like