Fill us with happiness: tell us about all our mistakes!

Between the Dhp and Ud seems like a reasonable place to insert it no? :pray:

1 Like

It’s a Sanskrit text, so that doesn’t make any sense.

I don’t know if there is an agreed upon order for the entire KN, but I believe starting with Kp, Dhp, Ud, Itv, Snp, Vv, Pv, Thag, Thig is fairly standard. At least the first five books are.

1 Like

MN 4

“But Master Gotama, remote lodgings in the wilderness and the forest are challenging. It’s hard to maintain seclusion and hard to find in solitude.
“Durabhisambhavāni hi kho, bho gotama, araññavanapatthāni pantāni senāsanāni, dukkaraṁ pavivekaṁ, durabhiramaṁ ekatte,

‘Remote lodgings in the wilderness and the forest are challenging. It’s hard to maintain seclusion, and hard to find joy in solitude.
‘durabhisambhavāni hi kho araññavanapatthāni pantāni senāsanāni, dukkaraṁ pavivekaṁ, durabhiramaṁ ekatte,

“joy” is missing in the previous line. There is something going on with the comma after seclusion too.

The idiom sutavā ariyasāvako (or related forms) is sometimes translated as a “learned noble disciple”, sometimes as an “educated noble disciple”. In SN 22.79:7.1 and SN 22.80:9.3 (and possibly elsewhere) it’s just “noble disciple”.

1 Like

Hello. First, I want to thank the creators of this community for providing it. This is my first post and I welcome any corrections. I am new to Theravada Buddhist practice and am very ardently learning as much as I can, despite not being young!

I discovered a hyperlink error in Sutta Central. The link to the Jataka opens up the Anguttara Nikaya instead: SuttaCentral

I apologize if this has been posted before, but I wanted to alert the webmasters to this possible problem.

Thank you.

1 Like

Thank you for posting, oldmangeorge.

You are right, this looks indeed like the Anguttara Nikaya. But it is Jataka nevertheless. The Jatakas too are organized in Anguttara-style books. Just click on “Shortcut to all Suttas” in one of the books, and you will see that these are Jatakas. And have fun reading them! :smiley:

2 Likes

Indeed.

Actually I was just looking up some Jatakas, and it’s harder than it should be, because the navigation lacks any Jataka numbers. We should have:

The Book of the Ones
Ja 1–150

That’d also help to clear up the confusion with the Anguttara.

3 Likes

Sorry if this has been mentioned before:
https://suttacentral.net/iti64/en/sujato

“Mendicants, there are these three faculties.
“Tīṇimāni, bhikkhave, duccaritāni.

I think “three faculties” is a copy paste error from a previous sutta. Ireland has “three kinds of misconduct”.

In Iti74: ““These three kinds of child are found in the world.”, I really don’t think you can put a singular countable noun after “kinds of”. If you substitute some other countable noun for “child” you can see better how it sounds wrong.

Unrelated, are we no longer getting the English name of suttas in Iti and Ud? I see the English names on the previous/next buttons, but when looking at the sutta they aren’t there. (My bad. Using Stylus. Dangerous)

2 Likes

But I see them … :thinking:

Oh that’d be really good! :+1:

Iti106

‘First teachers’ is a term for your parents.
‘Pubbadevatā’ti, bhikkhave, mātāpitūnaṁ etaṁ adhivacanaṁ.
‘First teachers’ is a term for your parents.
‘Pubbācariyā’ti, bhikkhave, mātāpitūnaṁ etaṁ adhivacanaṁ.

2 Likes

bhaddasālamūla is the “root of an auspicious sal tree” in Ud 4.5 and the “root of a sacred sal tree” in SN 22.81.

In SN 22.60, ahetū appaccayā is translated “without cause or reason”; whereas natthi hetu natthi paccayo is translated “there is no cause or condition”. Not sure if this is on purpose or an oversight.

SN22.82:1.2: Tena kho pana samayena bhagavā tadahuposathe pannarase puṇṇāya puṇṇamāya rattiyā bhikkhusaṅghaparivuto ajjhokāse nisinno hoti.
Now, at that time it was the sabbath—the full moon on the fifteenth day—and the Buddha was sitting surrounded by the Saṅgha of monks.

“In the open” is lacking in translation.

1 Like

When I am viewing verses with side by side Pali, longer lines are wrapped into the margin. When viewing just the English on a narrow screen, that doesn’t happen.

1 Like

SN22.84:1.3: “api me, āvuso, madhurakajāto viya kāyo;
SN22.84:1.4: disāpi me na pakkhāyanti;
SN22.84:1.5: dhammāpi maṁ na paṭibhanti;
SN22.84:1.6: thinamiddhañca me cittaṁ pariyādāya tiṭṭhati;
SN22.84:1.7: anabhirato ca brahmacariyaṁ carāmi;
SN22.84:1.8: hoti ca me dhammesu vicikicchā”ti.
“Reverends, my body feels like it’s drugged. I’m disorientated, the teachings don’t inspire me, and dullness and drowsiness fill my mind. I lead the spiritual life dissatisfied, and have doubts about the teachings.”

Dhammāpi maṁ na paṭibhanti is elsewhere translated as “the teachings don’t spring to mind”.

Oh, and in DN 16 it’s “the teachings weren’t clear to me”.

Dead Link

https://suttacentral.net/search?query=babylon

When I try to go to the 1 result from the search above, I get a blank page.

Thank you for clarifying that for me!

1 Like

When I change the site language to French and try to navigate to AN book of 11s I get this:

German and Spanish work fine. Not sure if this is a Bilara issue. @Carmi?

1 Like

I think it’s most likely a cache issue. I have this very often after updates. Sometimes navigating around a little and approaching the intended page by some other path helps, but not always. I do get the page of AN 11 in French right now.

SN22.85:3.2: ‘tathāhaṁ bhagavatā dhammaṁ desitaṁ ājānāmi, yathā khīṇāsavo bhikkhu kāyassa bhedā ucchijjati vinassati, na hoti paraṁ maraṇā’”ti?
‘As I understand the Buddha’s teaching, a mendicant who has ended the defilements is annihilated and destroyed when their body breaks up, and doesn’t exist after death.’”

At the end of the segment there should be: ’?”, like in segment 11.5. The same again in segment 6.2.

SN22.85:13.4: “Sace maṁ, āvuso, evaṁ puccheyyuṁ:
“Sir, if they were to ask this,

Yamaka addresses Sāriputta as āvuso, not as bhante.

SN22.86:1.6: ‘hoti tathāgato paraṁ maraṇā’ti vā, ‘na hoti tathāgato paraṁ maraṇā’ti vā, ‘hoti ca na ca hoti tathāgato paraṁ maraṇā’ti vā, ‘neva hoti na na hoti tathāgato paraṁ maraṇā’ti vā”ti?
After death, a Realized One exists, or doesn’t exist, or both exists and doesn’t exist, or neither exists nor doesn’t exist.”

I think this statement should still be surrounded by single quote marks. And again in segment 2.3.

In segment 12.3 there is a closing quote mark, bu no opening. :see_no_evil: Oh no! Here it would be even more complex! It would be triple nested quote marks! Maybe I understand why you left out the quote in the quote.

Blurb to SN 44:

The “Linked Discourses on the Undeclared” contains 44 discourses on the theme of the ten “undeclared” questions. These are a stock series of metaphysical hypotheses, which the Buddha dismissed as being based on the implicit assumption of a self, and hence as being counterproductive to liberation. The first discourse here features a conversation between King Pasenadi and the nun Khemā on this topic.

The Saṁyutta is called 44, but the number of discourses is 11.

SN22.87:9.1: Atha kho te bhikkhū yena bhagavā tenupasaṅkamiṁsu; upasaṅkamitvā ekamantaṁ nisīdiṁsu. Ekamantaṁ nisinnā kho te bhikkhū bhagavantaṁ etadavocuṁ:
Then those senior mendicants went up to the Buddha and told him Vakkali’s message.

The text doesn’t say they are senior.

SN22.88:2.6: Santimāni āsanāni paññattāni, tatthāhaṁ nisīdissāmī”ti.
There are some seats spread out by others, I will sit there.”

The text doesn’t say “by others”.

1 Like

In this translation of Snp 4.11 the bold italics portion needs to be fixed. I am not sure what was meant.

Here some reckoned as wise do certainly say:
“Purity of soul is just for this life”;
but others who claim to be clever aver
that there is an occasion
for what has nothing leftover.