Fill us with happiness: tell us about all our mistakes!

@HongDa This is happening all over SuttaCentral, and I get random “nulls” using Chrome, too. I think there’s some lookup issue taking place. Some Chinese sutras don’t load at all (like SA740 as a handy example).

3 Likes

Yes, I’m occasionally getting nulls in Chrome as well. No clear pattern to them unfortunately

Can also confirm, nulls everywhere

Thanks, Venerable! My assumption was that the reader would spot the pattern, given by the previous case concerning a pig. But on reflection, I agree that it is important to be clear in the case of pārājika offences. Just blindly following the contractions given in the original is not a good policy. And so I will update my translation to make things clearer. Also, I intend to shamelessly steal your expression “feeling compassion”, which flows better. You should have copyrighted it!

I appreciate your feedback.

3 Likes

Thanks, bhante, but I’m afraid it’s not my expression. It’s what I copied and pasted from the Sutta Central Legacy site, supposing it to be either original Horner or Brahmali-modified Horner.
:smiley:

2 Likes

It’s not I.B. Horner’s, so it must be my own earlier translation. :man_facepalming:

4 Likes

@sujato

It seems you overlooked translating “Pubbadevatā” below:

‘Brahmā’ is a term for your parents.
‘Brahmā’ti, bhikkhave, mātāpitūnaṁ etaṁ adhivacanaṁ.
‘First teachers’ is a term for your parents.
‘Pubbadevatā’ti, bhikkhave, mātāpitūnaṁ etaṁ adhivacanaṁ.
‘Pubbācariyā’ti, bhikkhave, mātāpitūnaṁ etaṁ adhivacanaṁ.

Iti 106

2 Likes

There are parallels in the Aṅguttara. In AN 4.63 it is correct:

AN4.63:2.1: Brahmāti, bhikkhave, mātāpitūnaṁ etaṁ adhivacanaṁ.
AN4.63:2.2: Pubbācariyāti, bhikkhave, mātāpitūnaṁ etaṁ adhivacanaṁ.
AN4.63:2.3: Pubbadevatāti, bhikkhave, mātāpitūnaṁ etaṁ adhivacanaṁ.
‘Old deities’ is a term for your parents.
AN4.63:2.4: Āhuneyyāti, bhikkhave, mātāpitūnaṁ etaṁ adhivacanaṁ.
‘Worthy of an offering dedicated to the gods’ is a term for your parents.

But in AN 3.31—as it is the book of the Threes—there are only 3 items, maybe from there the confusion through miscopying:

AN3.31:1.4: ‘Brahmā’ti, bhikkhave, mātāpitūnaṁ etaṁ adhivacanaṁ.
AN3.31:1.5: ‘Pubbācariyā’ti, bhikkhave, mātāpitūnaṁ etaṁ adhivacanaṁ.
AN3.31:1.6: ‘Āhuneyyā’ti, bhikkhave, mātāpitūnaṁ etaṁ adhivacanaṁ.
‘Worthy of offerings dedicated to the gods’ is a term for your parents.

Now being aware of this parallel, it will be easy for me to “translate” an Iti Sutta in just a few minutes … thanks to Bilara’s translation memory. Just another one that will be done. :white_check_mark: :pray:

4 Likes

Fyi, there is a megga thread for issues like that.

Bhante goes through that methodically from time to time. No need to @ him if you post there.

Perhaps @moderators could merge this.

3 Likes

OK, good suggestion! I have merged these into this megathread now!

3 Likes

Indeed, thanks. This is due to a recent change in how we handle generating the acronyms. I’ll alert Hong da.

SN35.33:0.1: Saṁyutta Nikāya 35.33–42
Linked Discourses 35.33

SN 35.33–42 is called SN 35.33 in English.

The same for SN 35.43–51.

Blurb to SN 35.65:

Venerable Samiddhi asks the Buddha what Māra is. The Buddha says that that Māra is present so long as the senses exist.

Remove one “that”.

such an one is rightly called ‘ascetic’.

such an one is rightly called ‘giant’.”

such an one is rightly called ‘a wise scholar’.”

such an one is rightly called ‘studied’.

such an one is rightly called ‘hero’.

such an one is rightly called ‘thoroughbred’.”

https://suttacentral.net/snp3.6/en/sujato?layout=plain&reference=none&notes=asterisk&highlight=false&script=latin

1 Like

While there are a few "judgment"s throughout the canon, there is one unique “judgement” (with “e” included between “g” and “m”) in Dhp 256.

attadīpā viharatha is sometimes translated “be your own island”, sometimes “live as your own island”.

DN26:10.3: Tesaṁ sutvā dhammikañhi kho rakkhāvaraṇaguttiṁ saṁvidahi, no ca kho adhanānaṁ dhanamanuppadāsi.
But after listening to them, he didn’t provide just protection and security. Nor did he pay money to the penniless in the realm.

It seems to me he did provide just protection and security, but did not pay money to the penniless.

https://suttacentral.net/snp2.8/en/sujato?layout=plain&reference=main&notes=none&highlight=false&script=latin

Bhante, line 1.2, should “Inda” be “Indra” perhaps?

:pray:

SN35.75:9.1: Taṁ kiṁ maññasi, bhikkhu,
“What do you think, mendicant?

The Buddha is already speaking in the previous segment and goes on speaking here, so no new quote mark required.

https://suttacentral.net/an8.46/en/sujato

Then several deities of the Lovable Host went up to Venerable Anuruddha, bowed, stood to one side, and said to him:

Usually you have “Gods” instead of “dieties”, eg an5.33

We find the name Phagguṇa in AN 6.56 and in MN 21.

In SN 12.12, SN 12.32, and SN 35.83 we find Phagguna (n without underdot); we also find this spelling along with the other one in MN 21.

Do they all refer to the same name? It doesn’t seem to be all the same person, but are they distinguished by their spelling variant?

In SN 35.84 palokadhamma is translated as “wearing out”. Shouldn’t it be “liable to wear out”?

Ejā rogo, ejā gaṇḍo, ejā sallaṁ in SN 35.90 and SN 35.91 is translated “turbulence is a disease, turbulence is a boil, turbulence is a dart”, while in DN 21 it is translated “passion is a disease, a boil, a dart”.

The blurb of SN 35.130 has:

…the diveristy of contacts…

Should be diversity.

2 Likes

SN54.12:7.6: Dīghaṁ assasanto dīghaṁ assasāmīti pajānāmi, dīghaṁ passasanto dīghaṁ passasāmīti pajānāmi …pe…
When breathing in heavily I know: ‘I’m breathing in heavily.’ When breathing out heavily I know: ‘I’m breathing out heavily.’ …

Should be double quotes. It’s inside a complex nested quote. Following segments are correct.

Thag14.1:6.1: Avitakkaṁ samāpanno,
Having entered a meditation state without thought,

Why has vitakka in a meditation context been translated as “thought”, and not “placing the mind”?