Fishing for Consciousness by Bhante Sujato

Bhante Sujato will be delivering a discourse this weekend as a part of the Wisdom talks series organised by the Dharma College.

See details below (so sorry for having to include multiple links to get this message across. Hopefully that will not put anyone off :slight_smile: :slight_smile:

Date 16th May 2021
Time 7 am AEST. Please use the world clock to check your local time. (The World Clock ā€” Worldwide)

Topic: Fishing for Consciousness: Sometimes the closest things are the hardest to see

Sutta Ref: Long Discourses 11 With Kevaddha (SuttaCentral)
Zoom link: Launch Meeting - Zoom

See you all there. Cheers.

15 Likes

2021-05-15T21:00:00Z

This should show the time in your time zone :grinning:

12 Likes

And hereā€™s a link to the ongoing series (I wonder if Ajahn Amaroā€™s and Bhikkhu Bodhiā€™s talks are available anywhere).

4 Likes

This is on the topic discussed at length here:

I will be focusing on the ways in which the narrative form shapes meaning.

6 Likes

How do you do that voodoo? (seriously, I could use this for a different project)

2 Likes

In the edit box see the icon that looks like a house between the smiley face and the cog wheel? Itā€™s supposed to look like a calendar!! Click on it to reveal a more recognisable calendar. From there you can probably experiment.

2 Likes

Previous talks are on youtube:

4 Likes

just a reminder, this starts in an hour :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Nice talk Bhante @Sujato. I particularly appreciate this style of talk, where a whole sutta is examined, giving the background and implications of the entire message, not just jumping to ā€œthe important bitā€, in this case ViƱƱāį¹‡aį¹ anidassanaį¹ DN11: SuttaCentral

Video should be up on the Dharma College YouTube channel in a few days: https://www.youtube.com/user/CollegeDharma/videos

Right at the end there was a question about ā€œconsciousness without surfaceā€, and I wondered if it may have been a reference to SN12.64 SuttaCentral, rather than to DN11:
ā€œā€¦consciousness becomes establishedā€¦ā€ , patiį¹­į¹­hitaį¹ viƱƱāį¹‡aį¹, with the simile of light landing on a surface:

When the sun rises and a ray of light enters through a window, where would it land?ā€

Bhante also mentioned that the talk he gave yesterday on a similar topic should be on this YouTube channel soon: https://www.youtube.com/c/BuddhistChannel8/videos

7 Likes

Is there a You Tube recording of this?
With Metta

2 Likes

Fishing for Consciousness was hosted by the Dharma college, they were streaming live via FB but not sure if they recorded it.

3 Likes

The previous talks in the series, by Vens Bodhi and Amaro are on YouTube: Dharma College - YouTube so I presume they will upload in due course.

7 Likes

Iā€™m told that it went well!

7 Likes

Was really niceā€¦

I also took away a lovely little tidbit that was just an aside ā€¦

ā€¦ to read texts kindly, just as we can listen to others kindlyā€¦

Iā€™ve been smiling about this ever since :slight_smile:

7 Likes

It is uploaded. A Great talk!

Wisdom Series: Sujato Bhikkhu - YouTube

(As Gabriel noted below, they got Bhanteā€™s name wrong initially, but now it is fixed!)

6 Likes

They got ajahnā€™s name wrong!
It should be SuJato and not Sugatoā€¦ :man_shrugging:

1 Like

Thank you Bhante @sujato for the wonderful talk on Dhamma.
We have always appreciated your clear and lucid explanation and enjoyed your sense of humour :anjal:

2 Likes

What a great talk Bhante @sujato, thanks for that.

I wonā€™t hide that I was surprised with the misunderstanding behind some of the questions.

There is a lot of confusion about very basic aspects of the Dhamma going on, even among individuals who seem to be studying and practicing for many years!

For those interested, hereā€™s a MP3 of the talk:

:anjal:

4 Likes

It seems that this talk on saviƱƱāį¹‡aka kāya/nāmarÅ«pa is also available now:

3 Likes

Convenient indeed, although people will miss out on his glowing halo. (okay, okay, he self-debunked that effect as merely being the sun behind him but hey)

4 Likes