📕 Footprints in the Dust by Bhante S Dhammika

This revised edition refers to a paper of mine, but misspells my name on page 12 footnote 8 and in the Bibliography. The correct reference is: Karpik, Stefan 2019 “The Buddha Taught in Pali: A working hypothesis.”Journal of the Oxford Centre for Buddhist Studies. 2019 (16): 10-86. http://jocbs.org/index.php/jocbs/article/view/191 If anyone can pass this onto Rev. Dhammika or the publishers, I would be grateful.

3 Likes

Hi @StefanK,

Welcome to the D&D forum!

Enjoy the multiple resources here available: may these be of assistance along the path.

Should you have any questions about the forum, feel free to contact the @moderators.

With Metta,
Ric
On behalf of the moderators

I sent that info to Bhante Dhammika and he said he’ll have it corrected.

2 Likes

That’s very kind. Thank you.

3 Likes

There is a new (2nd) edition of this lovely book out now.

You can get a free pdf download from the wonderful people at The Pariyatti Store, where you can also buy a print or e-book copy in a variety of formats (Epub, Kindle, Apple Books, Google Play books).

As if that isn’t enough, there is also a free online version of this second edition at theMettāShelf (see link below). The content of this online version is (almost) the same as the Pariyatti versions, but has additional Sutta and Vinaya references using the Sutta Central numbering system to go along with the PTS numbering system in the Paryatti versions. There are also links to PDF’s of any Bibliography entry that is freely and readily available on the web.

As always, if there are any comments, criticisms, errors or problems that you encounter with theMettaShelf online version, please private message me.

8 Likes

Anumodana Stu! That’s great :smiley:

1 Like

Bhante is very much old school & doesn’t use digital means* to research his books. Generally, he works with the books in his extensive personal library. For his dictionary of Pali flora & fauna, I think most of his research was done in the British Library.

*there may be exceptions

4 Likes

Bhante, will it be alright to print a copy from this pdf for my use? Planning to visit India this December would be nice to have this book. Also I prefer a printed book to reading from the screen. Much Merit Venerable Sir,

My intro the Buddha’s life was Thich Nhat Hanh’s “Old Path, White Clouds” - inspired fiction which made him into an ordinary human being. Reading about him walking and talking as a newly born infant in the suttas came later.

Is the author also the person who wrote “The Broken Buddha”?

Yes, he is. (And, btw. I loved as well the Thich Nhat Hanh’s inspired fiction - as you call it- much over the infant stories in the suttas)

1 Like

I don’t believe the author of this book, Bhante Dhammika, is on this platform. As far as I know, he doesn’t post on any of the Buddhist forums. I am fairly certain he would be okay with you printing out a copy though. He provides digital free copies of all of his writings.

1 Like

Hi Indira,

You can buy a print version of this book from Pariyatti. I believe it is printed on demand and distributed through Amazon. There are no restrictions on you printing the book for yourself if you prefer that.

3 Likes

Same.

Despite being fiction, Old Path, White Clouds was incredibly inspirational to me with the more down to Earth take on the Buddha’s life. It greatly influenced me to more towards Buddhism. If I hit the biopic accounts of the Buddha in the suttas first at that time in my life I probably would have moved away from Buddhism ( walking & talking as an infant, 32 marks, levitation, teleporting, etc…yet he couldn’t get rid of low back pain despite living in the land of hatha yoga. :slight_smile: ). That book, and experiences since that allow to read the suttas and just set elements like that aside.

2 Likes

Thank you Stu for the reply. I checked this option before posting this message. The shipping cost to Sri Lanka is so high… None of the usual bookshops for Buddhist books in Sri Lanka, like The Buddhist Publication Society or the Buddhist Cultural Centre, they have other books of this Thero but not this one. Metta

1 Like

Much Metta DhammaWiki for this reply. Yes it is just for my use… With Much Metta

2 Likes