For the love of Secular Buddhists!

Anyone who recognises SN57.1 as a valuable teaching has got to have some wisdom up their sleeve in my book!

https://bodhi-college.org/buddhist-articles-videos-links/facebook-sutta-sn-57-1

:grinning: :anjal:

19 Likes

Ha! Love it!

2 Likes

Nice, thanks. I wonder if we could slip this in the canon, would anyone notice?

9 Likes

This is so great!

3 Likes

This is brilliant!
Bernat also translates suttas into Spanish and Catelan for us.

5 Likes

That is funny. And a example of translating the dharma to into the context of the listener.

But, in this context, one might wonder what is this “Secular Buddhism”.

1 Like

Yeah, but I think it’s one of those “it’s funny because it’s true” things.

Maybe. At that point I guess they might look at some of the other pages on the Bodhi College site, or do some Googling or whatever. That said, in this context, I wouldn’t really encourage troubling themselves too much as this context is an expressly light-hearted one. :slight_smile:

5 Likes

Thanks for reposting, @Aminah. Funny and wise, a great combination.

:anjal:

6 Likes

Just recently I’ve been trying to figure out how to use Facebook more wisely. This is very timely for me. Thanks for sharing Aminah

4 Likes

Anagarika @sabbamitta already shared this on Facebook! :rofl:
https://www.facebook.com/samitaasbl/

3 Likes

Oh my goodness! Do people actually use Facebook? :scream:

It is great humanitarian work Anagarika Sabbamitta is doing!

7 Likes

It is indeed for the sole purpose to manage the Samita ASBL Facebook page that I created an account on FB! :rofl::dizzy_face::exploding_head::heart:

4 Likes

…and I shared it from her!

with metta

5 Likes

Sure, that’s your excuse covered, but what’s everyone else’s? Oh no, wait, I guess they signed up so they could receive news from Samita ASBL! :laughing:

Anyway, great that there are noble folk such as yourself and Mat willing to brave those waters to help guide others to salvation.

6 Likes

Aminah, I am in need of moderator for a group in FB. Any interest…? :smile::rofl::grin:

4 Likes

Hmm, let me think about that one… :running_woman: :scream: :running_woman: :scream: :running_woman: :scream: :no_entry_sign:

4 Likes

:joy:!!:laughing:

2 Likes

the christians have the book of mormon - why not - get to work!

3 Likes

Wow, so honoured this piece has made it to SuttaCentral! Actually, I wanted to write a couple more after I saw all the negative news about facebook lately.

@sujato, wanna write the Social media Saṃyutta? :joy:

9 Likes

Oh, I do, yes, that would be perfect! Just as the samyutta includes sutta after sutta on the five aggregates or the six senses, with only slight variations, the Social Media Samyutta would include hundreds of entries on cat photos or fake news. The only problem is, no matter how I tried, I could never make it as inane as the real thing.

5 Likes