Generating examples for use in Voice and other applications with Georg’s script

My question was: Is “worth learning and memorizing” not good enough? We have that example already. And it returns one Sutta more than “will want to listen”. This extra Sutta is:

AN2.47:1.5
It is an assembly where, when discourses spoken by the Realized One—deep, profound, transcendent, dealing with emptiness—are being recited the mendicants do not want to listen. They don’t pay attention or apply their minds to understand them, nor do they think those teachings are worth learning and memorizing.

AN2.47:1.6
But when discourses composed by poets—poetry, with fancy words and phrases, composed by outsiders or spoken by disciples—are being recited the mendicants do want to listen. They pay attention and apply their minds to understand them, and they think those teachings are worth learning and memorizing. But when they’ve learned those teachings they don’t question or examine each other, saying:

AN2.47:1.7
‘Why does it say this? What does that mean?’

AN2.47:1.8
So they don’t clarify what is unclear, or reveal what is obscure, or dispel doubt regarding the many doubtful matters.

Ah. :thinking:

This is indeed an interesting question…

The thing about “worth learning and memorizing” is that it is about proper attention and unskillful assemblies.

The danger brought out in AN20.7 is different. The specific danger of AN20.7 is that if we insist on embellishing the suttas with our own interpretations, no matter how truthful, we will destroy the Dhamma by grasping at our own proliferations. I’ve always had this nagging feeling that I could not express. And AN20.7 expresses that nagging feeling beautifully.

1 Like

It’s SN20.7, not AN20.7. And it is just as well returned by “worth learning and memorizing”. The Sutta I just quoted is the one that is returned on top of what is returned by “will want to listen”.

1 Like

The trouble I see is not with the search results (yay, three!), but with the wording of the example itself. Perhaps “worth learning and memorizing” is not a good example because the “the mendicants do want to listen”, but they listen to the wrong thing. So I would replace “worth learning and memorizing” with “fancy words”. The Buddha spoke simply and some people think fancy words are worth learning and memorizing.

1 Like

Perhaps we should chat again? It’s just too much to type …

Now we also have a German translation of SN 20.7, the drum peg Sutta (to come
to Dhammaregen soon). And there is also an interesting comment on it (as we talked of comments yesterday, @karl_lew). In any case for translators, it’s very helpful.

1 Like

Yes. Drums arouse energy. As in cittakkharā, which is actually not present in Bhante’s translation. If we wish to include the sense of that term it would alter the translation from “fancy/schoen” to “stirring/rührende”. This is the stronger translation. We go to plays and movies to listen to “stirring words”. Indeed, it is different enough from fancy that we might consider it further, especially since it ties in with drums. Drums are used precisely because they stir up energy in times of war. Drums rouse energy. Drums stir feelings. So one might also use “rousing words”. That would be “mitreißende Worte”.

1 Like

Thanks for doing translation work for me! :wink:

Sometimes your suggestions are really good! :+1:

1 Like

Here are the Pali words that make up this compound:

1. citta = fancy (scroll to the adjective)
  2. akkhara = word, syllable

So we have cittakkharā cittabyañjanā = fancy words and phrases.

1 Like

But we do not have:

Screenshot 2021-07-30 05.41.12

And that is the stirring, rousing sound of a drum, as in “stirring and fancy words”

I mean, “fancy” is fine and well understood. The Pali is richer, and that is why I listen to the Pali.

1 Like

Yes, I too was thinking like this first. But the lookup tool is sometimes wrong in how it breaks down a compound. The double “k” should make you suspicious. There is no reason to double the “k”, if it’s just citta + khara. So in such cases I start searching and playing around until I find something reasonable. Sometimes I don’t, but in this case I did.

1 Like

Citta is fancy.
Khara is fierce.

Together they would be stirring. Did I miss something?

1 Like

It is not khara. It is akkhara = word. Hence the “fancy words”.

1 Like

:white_check_mark: Got it. Thanks!

1 Like

I am adding

• as long as they live | solange sie leben

to the examples. It answers a question that has been asked here (and a few extra Suttas not related to the question). Total results: 9.

1 Like

Cool! After some thought, I’ve also added “self-effacement”

1 Like

Thank you! I am adding “Selbstüberwindung”—although the main Sutta, MN8, has not yet been translated.

1 Like

Working on examples for my latest translations, next to making corrections for German ones and adding what is already there in English, I am still adding a new one:

• term for sensual pleasures | Ausdruck für Sinnenfreuden (4 results)
1 Like

Oddly, sensual pleasures seem to refer to five senses. Thought is excluded here:

MN13:7.1: And what is the gratification of sensual pleasures?
MN13:7.2: There are these five kinds of sensual stimulation.

It’s a bit strange that thoughts are not included.

1 Like

Well, there are different systems in different contexts. Here it’s about the physical senses, of which thought is not a part.

1 Like