Generating examples for use in Voice and other applications with Georg’s script

Oh! Thanks to @DerekS’s interest in the hindrances I am discovering some very interesting things!

• Firstly, we do already have an example that is very close to the hindrances, although it doesn’t contain this term, “sustained by”:

SN46.2:1.3
    evameva kho, bhikkhave, pañca nīvaraṇā āhāraṭṭhitikā, āhāraṁ paṭicca tiṭṭhanti, anāhārā no tiṭṭhanti.
    In the same way, the five hindrances are sustained by fuel. They depend on fuel to continue, and without fuel they don’t continue.

• Next, I think “fuels the arising of” would be a great example. It returns 2 results, SN46.51 and SN46.2. They both explain how the hindrances and the awakening factors as their opposites are strengthened and weakened.
  • An example with “drowsiness” that returns AN7.61, but not only AN7.61, does not exist.

Other ones are:

• obstacles and hindrances (3 results)
  • there are these five hindrances (3 results, none of which in the AN Fives, interestingly)
  • hindrances, corruptions of the heart (25 results; and in two other cases we have “hindrances, parasites of the mind” instead—which is an inconsistency in the Pali, not in the translation! This phrase describes the function of the hindrances: they weaken wisdom.)
  • hindrances are entirely (2 results; they are “entirely a heap of the unskillful”.)

That’s perhaps a good start for the hindrances? I still have to add them to the repository and find German counterparts, where already translated.

Thank you, Derek, for inspiring this research!

1 Like

Then perhaps we should leave in “drowsiness” until we can actually find AN7.61?

None of the three of us could find it. We need something memorable here, hopefully not a singleton. The examples “nodding off” and “give up drowsiness” both work. And “nodding off” is actually the English title. But both are singletons and hide the richness of the actual resources in the Dhamma.

The Rule of Fifty isn’t like a vinaya rule for me–it’s more like a gentle guidance to think if there might be a better example. Users by default only see five results but can choose up to 50. And as I scan the results for “drowsiness”, they are all useful. For example, from way down the search list:

Thag1.74:0.4: 1.74. Suyāmana
Thag1.74:1.1: Sensual desire, ill will,
Thag1.74:1.2: dullness and drowsiness,
Thag1.74:1.3: restlessness, and doubt
Thag1.74:1.4: are not found in a monk at all.

So the Rule of Fifty for me is “let’s talk when the results are 50 or more”.

1 Like

We find it with “perception of light”. On top of that we could still add “give up drowsiness” or “nodding”—which I like actually.

Ah! Reading your post further, it seems you’d still prefer the 85 drowsinesses? I had already removed them because I felt confident to find something better, but was wrong; so far. I’ll add it again then.

1 Like

Just that would be fine. Thank you for all the others as well. :pray:

I have a constant battle with drowsiness. It’s my #1 hindrance.

2 Likes

You are not alone … :zzz:

3 Likes

I have now added:

• fuels the arising of | (no German translation yet)
  • obstacles and hindrances | Hemmnisse und Hindernisse
  • there are these five hindrances | (no German translation yet)
  • hindrances, corruptions of the heart | Hindernisse auf, die Verunreinigungen des Herzens
  • hindrances are entirely | Hindernisse sind ganz und gar

Oh, and I forgot: I’ve still added “Benommenheit” (the counterpart of drowsiness).

@DerekS, you’ll see them on Dhammaregen (and ebt-site) tomorrow morning from around 2021-07-03T05:00:00Z on. On Voice they will only appear when we release a new version.

Ah, and btw, we have all these impressive similes that stand for the five hindrances that are in SN46.55 (plus AN5.193), that start all with “water”. Type “Wasser” in the Dhammaregen search box, and you’ll find them!

And, another btw, the 46th Samyutta is called the “linked discourses on the awakening factors”—the awakening factors being the direct opposites to the hindrances.

1 Like

What’s vexing about the awakening factors that work against dullness and drowsiness is that they are simply so much work. :wink:

4 Likes

Added “give thinking”. This yields a few results led by AN8.31. The core teaching is “eight gifts”, but that generates a singleton AN8.31 without connections. So the mnemonic here doesn’t have “eight” although all three suttas name eight ways.

:man_shrugging:

1 Like

Thank you. I am adding “gibt in dem Gedanken”.

1 Like

I am still adding

• act after careful consideration | abwägen, bevor du handelst

This returns 2 Suttas, AN 8.12 and MN 56. In both cases, a prominent disciple of the Jains wants to become a disciple of the Buddha after a conversation with him, and the Buddha warns them that in their position, they should be careful what they do—which convinces them even more.

In one case, the person goes to the Buddha in order to beat him in debate, in the other—the general Sīha, which I have just translated—he is already inspired from what he has heard about the Buddha and finally goes there, after first the leader of the Jains has tried to discourage him.

In both cases, the person in question attains stream entry. :dharmawheel:

1 Like

Wow. :open_mouth:

I read MN56 just now per your suggestion for the first time. My goodness what a conversion!

MN56:19.6 His gate is closed to Jain monks and nuns, and opened for the Buddha’s monks, nuns, laymen, and laywomen.

:pray:

And I also listened to it on EBT-Site once through then reviewed MN56 carefully. And I used Copy to paste here. :man_cartwheeling:

1 Like

What do you mean by that? What exactly did you do? Can you show me? (Maybe go to our other thread.)

Adding new examples:

• favoring and opposing | Bevorzugen und Zurückweisen
  • by means of a simile | mithilfe eines Gleichnisses
  • aware of the situation | der Lage bewusst
  • bow to old brahmins | vor alten Brahmanen
1 Like

New reading! :heart:

I just read MN38 for the first time. Sāti got stuck in consciousness. :warning: :hole: :walking_man:

1 Like

Continuing from above

• by human strength, energy, and vigor | mit menschlicher Stärke, Energie und Tatkraft
  • caught by touch | mit der Berührung gefangen
  • one taste | einen einzigen Geschmack
  • polished black bowl | polierte schwarze Schale (this one being a singleton, but a hilarious one!)
  • nymphs | Nymphen
1 Like

I am replacing “favoritism, hostility, stupidity” by the keyword search “favoritism hostility stupidity”, as in AN 8.33, the terms are separated, not by a comma, but by “or”.

2 Likes

AHA! Excellent change!

Thanks for noticing that. It’s such an insightful set of three words that unfolds so much meaning.

2 Likes

Yeah, it breaks up my complacency from reading “Greed hatred and delusion” so many times that it started to lose meaning :joy: Thanks! :grinning_face_with_smiling_eyes:

2 Likes

Adding

• doubt has come up | Zweifel aufgekommen ist,
  • don’t go by oral transmission | nicht auf mündliche Überlieferung

which both return the Kalama Sutta AN 3.65, plus two other ones each.

1 Like

This one really startled by because I’m such a fan of the oral tradition. :laughing:
:thinking:
I’m understanding this sutta as saying that litany has no value in and of itself. When we listen to others with proper attention, some words are more valuable than others.

:pray:

Oh, and I changed “unsurpassable things” to simply “unsurpassable”. I’ve been puzzled about “unsurpassable” in DN34 for months now and AN6.30 has the answer:

AN6.30:1.3: The unsurpassable seeing, listening, acquisition, training, service, and recollection.

1 Like