Guide to reading pali discourse and practice

Greeting!

I would like to share a suggestion on how to read pali discourses with less pressure on the amount of the entire pali collections, with a few discourses for priority, yet core teachings are included.

2 –THE PATH TO AWAKENING AND RELEASE
2.1 -FOUNDATION:
2.1.1 -Giving:
2.1.1.1 -Motivation to give:
AN 8.31 (Bodhi); AN 8.33 (Bodhi);

2.1.1.2 -Choosing recipients:
AN 8.34 (Bodhi)

2.1.1.3 -Great types of giving:
AN 8.39 (Thanissaro)

2.1.1.4 -Factors of a good giving:
AN 8.37 (Bodhi)

2.1.2 -Conviction:
2.1.2.1 -Basis for conviction:
AN 3.66 (Thanissaro - “[beginning] … And in reference to this was it said. Now, Kālāmas, one who is a disciple of the noble ones—thus devoid of greed”)

2.1.2.2 -Types of belief (doctrines) and consequences:
2.1.2.2.1 -action to others and what you don’t like
SN 55.7 (Thanissaro – “There is the case where a disciple of the noble ones reflects thus: ‘I love life & don’t love death… speaks in praise of refraining from idle chatter. In this way, his verbal behavior is pure in three ways.”)

2.1.2.2.2 -wholesome, unwholesome, and change
AN 6.62 (Bodhi – “If, Ananda, you would listen to the Tathagata’s knowledges of a person’s faculties, I will analyze them… [end]”)

2.1.2.2.3 -Assurance by wholesome qualities
AN 3.66 (Thanissaro - “And in reference to this was it said. Now, Kālāmas, one who is a disciple of the noble ones—thus devoid of greed … [end]”);

2.1.2.2.4 -Non-existence, non-action, non-causality
MN 60 (Thanissaro - “[beginning] … If there really is causality, then this venerable person has made a good throw twice, … leaves behind the possibility of the unwholesome. [the end of section on causality]

2.1.3 -From cause to result (consequence):
2.1.3.1 -Types of causes and corresponding results (consequences):
MN 135; AN 8.40 (Thanissaro);

2.1.3.2 -Process from cause to result:
MN 136

2.1.4 -Sensual pleasure:
Allure, drawback, escape from sensual pleasure and form:
MN 13

2.1.5 -The path to awakening and release:
DN 2 (Thanissaro – “There is the case, great king, where a Tathāgata appears in the world . . . With his mind thus concentrated, . . . imperturbability, the monk directs and inclines it to the knowledge of the ending of effluents . . . as for another visible fruit of the contemplative life, higher and more sublime than this, there is none.”)

2.2 -DEPENDENT CO-ARISING (ORIGINATION)
2.2.1 –discovering the origination and cessation of aging and death, dissatisfaction (suffering)
SN 12.10 (Thanissaro)

2.2.2 -definition
SN 12.37 (Bodhi)

2.2.3 -Definition of each of twelve links
SN 12.2 (Thanissaro)

2.2.4 -Integrated into four noble truths
AN 3.62 (Thanissaro – “Sustained by/clinging to the six properties, there is an alighting of an embryo… This is called the noble truth of the path of practice leading to the cessation of stress.”)

2.2.4.1 -Six properties
AN 3.62 (Thanissaro – ““There are these six properties”… Thus was it said… And in reference to this was it said.”)

2.2.4.2 – a being from embryo to maturity of faculties
MN 38 (Thanissaro – “Monks, the descent of the embryo occurs with the union of three things . . . tactile sensations cognizable via the body— agreeable, pleasing, charming, endearing, enticing, accompanied with sensual desire.”)

Note: being to be reborn (MN 38 – Bodhi) - as one of three things for formation of the embryo

2.2.4.3 -Four noble truths
DN 22 (Thanissaro – “[5] “And further, the monk remains focused on mental qualities in & of themselves with reference to the four noble truths . . . This is how a monk remains focused on mental qualities in & of themselves with reference to the four noble truths.”)

2.2.4.3.1 -five clinging-aggregates (aggregates subject to clinging)
SN 22.56

2.2.4.3.1.1 -form - Four great existents (elements)
MN 28 (Thanissaro – “And what are the four great elements? . . . the fire property, & the wind property.”)

2.2.5 -Suffering in the current lifetime:
DN 15 (Thanissaro – “[beginning]… . This is the extent to which there are means of designation,… i.e., name-&-form together with consciousness.”)

2.2.5.1 -The chain with six sense media
SN 14.7 (Bodhi)

2.2.5.2 -The chain with elements
SN 14.9 (Bodhi)

2.2.6 –Consciousness, action, craving and becoming (existence)
AN 3.77 - Thanissaro
AN 3.78 - Thanissaro

2.2.7 -components of Volitional formations (fabrications)
MN 44 (Thanissaro – “Now, lady, what are fabrications?.. . That’s why perceptions & feelings are mental fabrications.”)

2.2.8 -More discourses to read on dependent co-arising
SN 12

2.3 -FOUR ESTABLISHINGS (foundations) OF MINDFULNESS
DN 22

2.3.1 –five hindrances
2.3.1.1 -hindrances, fear and terror (in seclusion)
MN 4 (Thanissaro – “Yes, brahman, so it is. It’s not easy to endure isolated forest . . . Before my self-awakening . . . Unflagging persistence was aroused in me . . . My body was calm & unaroused, my mind concentrated & single.”)

2.3.1.2 -wholesome and unwholesome thinking
MN 19 (Thanissaro – “The Blessed One said, “Monks, before my self-awakening . . . Unflagging persistence was aroused in me, . . . My body was calm & unaroused, my mind concentrated & single.”)

2.3.1.3 -drawbacks of sensual pleasures
MN 22 (Thanissaro – “[beginning] . . . For a person to indulge in sensual pleasures without sensual passion, without sensual perception, without sensual thinking: That isn’t possible.”)

2.3.2 -Five clinging-aggregates
2.3.2.1 -Formation of aggregates through six sense media (bases) in relation to origination and cessation of dissatisfaction
MN 28 (Thanissaro – “[Dependent Co-arising] Friends, just as when—in dependence on timber, . . . [end]”)

2.3.2.2 -inconstancy (impermanence), dissatisfaction (suffering), not-self
MN 22 (Thanissaro – “What do you think, monks? Is form constant or inconstant?.. Every consciousness is to be seen as it has come to be with right discernment as: ‘This is not mine. This is not my self. This is not what I am.’”)

2.3.2.3 -clinging
MN 44 (Thanissaro – “Is it the case, lady, that clinging is the same thing as the five clinging-aggregates . . . that is the clinging there.”)

2.3.2.4 -More discourses to read on five clinging-aggregates
SN 22

2.3.3 -Six sense media (bases)
2.3.3.1 -Origination and cessation of dissatisfaction (suffering)
MN 38 (Thanissaro – “On seeing a form with the eye, he is infatuated with pleasing forms . . . Such is the cessation of this entire mass of stress & suffering.”)

2.3.3.2 -More discourses to read on six sense media
SN 35

2.3.4 - seven factors for awakening
MN 118 (Thanissaro – “[1] On whatever occasion the monk remains focused on the body . . . on that occasion his mindfulness is steady & without lapse . . . equanimity as a factor for awakening is aroused in him.”)

2.3.4.1 -More discourses to read on seven factors for awakening
SN 46

2.3.5 -Four noble truths
2.3.5.1 -More discourses to read on noble eightfold path
SN 45

2.3.5.2 -More discourses to read on four noble truths
SN 56

2.3.6 -mindfulness of in-&-out breathing
MN 118 (Thanissaro – “There is the case where a monk, having gone to the wilderness,… This is how mindfulness of in-&-out breathing is developed & pursued so as to bring the four establishings of mindfulness to their culmination”)

2.3.6.1 -More discourses to read on mindfulness of in-&-out breathing
SN 54

2.3.7 -More discourses to read on four establishings of mindfulness
SN 47

2.4 -FOUR RIGHT EXERTIONS
SN 49

2.5 -BALANCED DEVELOPMENT FOR CONCENTRATION
SN 51.12 (Thanissaro – “[beginning]… [The above discussion is then repeated for persistence, intent, & discrimination.]”)

2.6 -TRANSITION FROM THE FIRST ABSORPTION (JHANA) TO THE SECOND
MN 125 (Thanissaro – “Having abandoned these five hindrances—… unification of awareness free from directed thought & evaluation—internal assurance.”)

3 -MORE RECOMMENDED DISCOURSES:
3.1 -PRIORITY

1. SN 45-56

2. DN 1 (Thanissaro – “There are some contemplatives & brahmans who are theorists about the past… There are some contemplatives & brahmans who are adherents of eternalism… [end]”)

3. DN 2 (Thanissaro – “[beginning]… Yet I neither delighted in Sañjaya Velaṭṭhaputta’s words… without adopting it, I got up from my seat and left.”)

4. MN

3.2 -FURTHER READING

1. SN
  2. DN

1.3 -ENGLISH TRANSLATION OF PALI DISCOURSES:
1.3.1 -Five collections:
Thanissaro, B. (2021, 10 9). Handful of Leaves: an Anthology from the Sutta Piṭaka. Retrieved 3 26, 2022, from Suttas | dhammatalks.org : eBooks | dhammatalks.org

1.3.2 -DN – Long Discourses:

1.3.3 -MN - Middle Length Discourses:

1.3.4 -SN - Connected Discourses:

1.3.5 -AN - Numerical Discourses:

1.3.6 -KN - Minor discourses:

Note: a discourse may be designated by different numbers in Venerable Thanissaro’s translation and Venerable Bodhi’s one. This happens with SN and AN. For example, Kesaputtiya (Kalamas) is AN 3.66 in Venerable Thanissaro’s translation but AN 3.65 in Venerable Bodhi’s translation.

…[END]…

what do you think?
regards

1 Like

You might like to run the text through the tool I created yesterday that puts in links for all the citations:

Here is what it will do:

Click to open

2 –THE PATH TO AWAKENING AND RELEASE
2.1 -FOUNDATION:
2.1.1 -Giving:
2.1.1.1 -Motivation to give:
AN 8.31 (Bodhi); AN 8.33 (Bodhi);

2.1.1.2 -Choosing recipients:
AN 8.34 (Bodhi)

2.1.1.3 -Great types of giving:
AN 8.39 (Thanissaro)

2.1.1.4 -Factors of a good giving:
AN 8.37 (Bodhi)

2.1.2 -Conviction:
2.1.2.1 -Basis for conviction:
AN 3.66 (Thanissaro - “[beginning] … And in reference to this was it said. Now, Kālāmas, one who is a disciple of the noble ones—thus devoid of greed”)

2.1.2.2 -Types of belief (doctrines) and consequences:
2.1.2.2.1 -action to others and what you don’t like
SN 55.7 (Thanissaro – “There is the case where a disciple of the noble ones reflects thus: ‘I love life & don’t love death… speaks in praise of refraining from idle chatter. In this way, his verbal behavior is pure in three ways.”)

2.1.2.2.2 -wholesome, unwholesome, and change
AN 6.62 (Bodhi – “If, Ananda, you would listen to the Tathagata’s knowledges of a person’s faculties, I will analyze them… [end]”)

2.1.2.2.3 -Assurance by wholesome qualities
AN 3.66 (Thanissaro - “And in reference to this was it said. Now, Kālāmas, one who is a disciple of the noble ones—thus devoid of greed … [end]”);

2.1.2.2.4 -Non-existence, non-action, non-causality
MN 60 (Thanissaro - “[beginning] … If there really is causality, then this venerable person has made a good throw twice, … leaves behind the possibility of the unwholesome. [the end of section on causality]

2.1.3 -From cause to result (consequence):
2.1.3.1 -Types of causes and corresponding results (consequences):
MN 135; AN 8.40 (Thanissaro);

2.1.3.2 -Process from cause to result:
MN 136

2.1.4 -Sensual pleasure:
Allure, drawback, escape from sensual pleasure and form:
MN 13

2.1.5 -The path to awakening and release:
DN 2 (Thanissaro – “There is the case, great king, where a Tathāgata appears in the world . . . With his mind thus concentrated, . . . imperturbability, the monk directs and inclines it to the knowledge of the ending of effluents . . . as for another visible fruit of the contemplative life, higher and more sublime than this, there is none.”)

2.2 -DEPENDENT CO-ARISING (ORIGINATION)
2.2.1 –discovering the origination and cessation of aging and death, dissatisfaction (suffering)
SN 12.10 (Thanissaro)

2.2.2 -definition
SN 12.37 (Bodhi)

2.2.3 -Definition of each of twelve links
SN 12.2 (Thanissaro)

2.2.4 -Integrated into four noble truths
AN 3.62 (Thanissaro – “Sustained by/clinging to the six properties, there is an alighting of an embryo… This is called the noble truth of the path of practice leading to the cessation of stress.”)

2.2.4.1 -Six properties
AN 3.62 (Thanissaro – ““There are these six properties”… Thus was it said… And in reference to this was it said.”)

2.2.4.2 – a being from embryo to maturity of faculties
MN 38 (Thanissaro – “Monks, the descent of the embryo occurs with the union of three things . . . tactile sensations cognizable via the body— agreeable, pleasing, charming, endearing, enticing, accompanied with sensual desire.”)

Note: being to be reborn (MN 38 – Bodhi) - as one of three things for formation of the embryo

2.2.4.3 -Four noble truths
DN 22 (Thanissaro – “[5] “And further, the monk remains focused on mental qualities in & of themselves with reference to the four noble truths . . . This is how a monk remains focused on mental qualities in & of themselves with reference to the four noble truths.”)

2.2.4.3.1 -five clinging-aggregates (aggregates subject to clinging)
SN 22.56

2.2.4.3.1.1 -form - Four great existents (elements)
MN 28 (Thanissaro – “And what are the four great elements? . . . the fire property, & the wind property.”)

2.2.5 -Suffering in the current lifetime:
DN 15 (Thanissaro – “[beginning]… . This is the extent to which there are means of designation,… i.e., name-&-form together with consciousness.”)

2.2.5.1 -The chain with six sense media
SN 14.7 (Bodhi)

2.2.5.2 -The chain with elements
SN 14.9 (Bodhi)

2.2.6 –Consciousness, action, craving and becoming (existence)
AN 3.77 - Thanissaro
AN 3.78 - Thanissaro

2.2.7 -components of Volitional formations (fabrications)
MN 44 (Thanissaro – “Now, lady, what are fabrications?.. . That’s why perceptions & feelings are mental fabrications.”)

2.2.8 -More discourses to read on dependent co-arising
SN 12

2.3 -FOUR ESTABLISHINGS (foundations) OF MINDFULNESS
DN 22

2.3.1 –five hindrances
2.3.1.1 -hindrances, fear and terror (in seclusion)
MN 4 (Thanissaro – “Yes, brahman, so it is. It’s not easy to endure isolated forest . . . Before my self-awakening . . . Unflagging persistence was aroused in me . . . My body was calm & unaroused, my mind concentrated & single.”)

2.3.1.2 -wholesome and unwholesome thinking
MN 19 (Thanissaro – “The Blessed One said, “Monks, before my self-awakening . . . Unflagging persistence was aroused in me, . . . My body was calm & unaroused, my mind concentrated & single.”)

2.3.1.3 -drawbacks of sensual pleasures
MN 22 (Thanissaro – “[beginning] . . . For a person to indulge in sensual pleasures without sensual passion, without sensual perception, without sensual thinking: That isn’t possible.”)

2.3.2 -Five clinging-aggregates
2.3.2.1 -Formation of aggregates through six sense media (bases) in relation to origination and cessation of dissatisfaction
MN 28 (Thanissaro – “[Dependent Co-arising] Friends, just as when—in dependence on timber, . . . [end]”)

2.3.2.2 -inconstancy (impermanence), dissatisfaction (suffering), not-self
MN 22 (Thanissaro – “What do you think, monks? Is form constant or inconstant?.. Every consciousness is to be seen as it has come to be with right discernment as: ‘This is not mine. This is not my self. This is not what I am.’”)

2.3.2.3 -clinging
MN 44 (Thanissaro – “Is it the case, lady, that clinging is the same thing as the five clinging-aggregates . . . that is the clinging there.”)

2.3.2.4 -More discourses to read on five clinging-aggregates
SN 22

2.3.3 -Six sense media (bases)
2.3.3.1 -Origination and cessation of dissatisfaction (suffering)
MN 38 (Thanissaro – “On seeing a form with the eye, he is infatuated with pleasing forms . . . Such is the cessation of this entire mass of stress & suffering.”)

2.3.3.2 -More discourses to read on six sense media
SN 35

2.3.4 - seven factors for awakening
MN 118 (Thanissaro – “[1] On whatever occasion the monk remains focused on the body . . . on that occasion his mindfulness is steady & without lapse . . . equanimity as a factor for awakening is aroused in him.”)

2.3.4.1 -More discourses to read on seven factors for awakening
SN 46

2.3.5 -Four noble truths
2.3.5.1 -More discourses to read on noble eightfold path
SN 45

2.3.5.2 -More discourses to read on four noble truths
SN 56

2.3.6 -mindfulness of in-&-out breathing
MN 118 (Thanissaro – “There is the case where a monk, having gone to the wilderness,… This is how mindfulness of in-&-out breathing is developed & pursued so as to bring the four establishings of mindfulness to their culmination”)

2.3.6.1 -More discourses to read on mindfulness of in-&-out breathing
SN 54

2.3.7 -More discourses to read on four establishings of mindfulness
SN 47

2.4 -FOUR RIGHT EXERTIONS
SN 49

2.5 -BALANCED DEVELOPMENT FOR CONCENTRATION
SN 51.12 (Thanissaro – “[beginning]… [The above discussion is then repeated for persistence, intent, & discrimination.]”)

2.6 -TRANSITION FROM THE FIRST ABSORPTION (JHANA) TO THE SECOND
MN 125 (Thanissaro – “Having abandoned these five hindrances—… unification of awareness free from directed thought & evaluation—internal assurance.”)

3 -MORE RECOMMENDED DISCOURSES:
3.1 -PRIORITY

SN 45-56

DN 1 (Thanissaro – “There are some contemplatives & brahmans who are theorists about the past… There are some contemplatives & brahmans who are adherents of eternalism… [end]”)

DN 2 (Thanissaro – “[beginning]… Yet I neither delighted in Sañjaya Velaṭṭhaputta’s words… without adopting it, I got up from my seat and left.”)

MN

3.2 -FURTHER READING

SN
DN

…[END]…

what do you think?
regards

The links to individual samyuttas don’t work. Fixed
If you or anyone else sees places it didn’t work, please let me know so I can fix the script.

It’s not necessary to know anything about DO for progress, for example it’s not mentioned in the Satipatthana sutta (MN 10, DN 22) the direct path. The following refers to impermanence, that what is born also dies:

“And further, the monk remains focused on mental qualities in & of
themselves with reference to the five clinging-aggregates. And how does a monk
remain focused on mental qualities in & of themselves with reference to the five
clinging-aggregates? There is the case where a monk (discerns): ‘Such is form,
such its origination, such its disappearance”

“The clinging-aggregates, as the primary example of the truth of stress, are to be
comprehended to the point of dispassion.”—Thanissaro

In the suttas the motive for the cultivation of dispassion is always the characteristic of impermanence.