Help me to find a sutta

I once read a sutta that described a monk who was not respected in a place by the people, but he still chose to survive. After he met Buddha, Buddha rebuked him, and said he should move from that place. Does anyone know the name of this sutta?

1 Like

I can’t think of a sutta like that, though there is one, MN17, that has almost the opposite message. The gist of it is that if a bhikkhu’s practice is thriving in a particular location then he should stay there even if his material support is very poor. But if his practice is deteriorating, then he should pack his bags and move on, no matter how well-supported he might be.

1 Like

Could you be thinking of an6.54?

1 Like

There are a few Jātakas with similar stories, perhaps it’s one of those that you read:

• Ja 36: a monk’s hut has burnt down at the beginning of the rainy season, and he can’t meditate properly
  • Ja 133: similar story
  • Ja 379: the villagers follow various different teachers, and the monk doesn’t get proper respect
  • Ja 429: the village burns down, and the villagers don’t have much to support the monk

In all cases the monk in question doesn’t have success with his rainy season practice and is rebuked by the Buddha who each time adds stories from past lives to illustrate that even animals knew when it’s the right time to leave.

3 Likes

Ja 379, Nerujataka
That’s sutta exactly what I mean. Thankyou all of you that’s already help me :pray:

2 Likes

Hi Johan,
When you get a precise answer for a specific question like that, please check the box underneath that post to mark it as the Solution. Not that it matters too much, just for the sake of closure. :grin:
:pray:t5:

1 Like

ok thankyou for your reminder :pray::pray::pray:

1 Like

This is exactly the kind of question ChatGPT is not designed to answer. This is not an appropriate use of the tool.

Also, per the forum guidelines, responses from ChatGPT are discouraged. Please consider removing it.

2 Likes