Help needed translating part of Vinaya Attakatha

I am grateful if someone could help me translate following Pali text to English. This is from Samantapasadika.

duvidham lii sikkliapadam lokavajjam pannattivajjan ca
tattka yassa sacittakapakkke cittam akusalam eva koti
tarn lokavajjam nama, sesam pannattivaj jam, tattka lokavaj je
anuppannatti uppajjamana rundkanti^ dvaram pidakanti^
sotam pacckindamana gaptataram karoati^ uppajjati, annatxa
adkimana annatra^ supinanta ti ayam paaa vitikkama-
bkava abbokarikatta ca vutta. pannattivajje akate vitikka-
me uppajjamana sitkilam karonti^ mocanti^ dvaram dadama-
na ca^ aparaparam^ anapattim® kurumana ca’^ uppajjati
ganabkojanaparamparabkojanadisu anuppannattiyo viya.
antamaso tankkanikaya piti evarupe pana kate vitikkame’’
uppannatta pannattigatika va koti. idam pana patkamasik-
kkapadam yasma lokavajjam na pannattivajjam tasma ayam
anuppannatti rundkanti^ dvaram pidakanti^ sotam pacckin-
damana galkataram karonti-^ uppajjati.'^ evam dve pi vat-
tkuni sampindetva^ mulacckejjavasena dalkataram katva
patkamaparajike pannatte aparam pi anuppannattattkaya
Vajjiputtakavattkum^ udapadi. tass’ uppattidassanattkam
etam vuttam: evan c’ idam bkagavata bkikkkunam sikkka-
padam pannattam^® kotiti. tass’ attko: bkagavata bkik-
kkunam idam sikkkapadam evam pannattam koti ca idan
ca annam vattkum^^ udapaditi. makkatiya^^ vattkukatka
nittkita.

Looks like a bad ocr job. Perhaps you could share a screen shot of the original or you could find it in the Digital Pali Reader.

Thank you very much for your feedback. Actually this is the only text fornat I have. I will try the digital reader. :pray:

Yeah, I’m trying to just search for a phrase from what you posted and it’s so filled with errors I can’t find anything.

If no one can post a response, you may need to give more context of where you are getting the original text from. As it is, there are so many errors it’s going to be tricky to find.

If you don’t mind I am also going to change your subject to reflect your post better. Feel free to change again.

1 Like

Really appreciate it.

Text was taken from above link.

Can you give a page number? Maybe just take a screen shot of the text and post it here?

I probably won’t be able to help you, but if someone can, it will help them.

1 Like

Hi,
I had a look at the Pali text in the link posted above, it is very corrupted.
How did the original poster understand which selection to ask about?

In any case, perhaps this partial English translation is helpful:

2 Likes

Thank you very much. Actually I am looking for the meaning of the term Pannattigatika. I have found this word in two places. One is in Mulatika. Other is in the provided text. Since I am not good at Pali I wanted to know the context and the meaning of the word. Thats why I copy pasted the text. :pray:

In Mulatika ,the word is used to denote the meaning that when thilakkhanas are taken separately from Dhammas, they are like concepts( pannatti-gatika).
This is my curiosity to know whether the same meanig is given to that word in provided text. Thank you very much for your feedback. :pray:

It is from the makkaṭīvatthukathā within the pārājikakaṇḍa aṭṭhakathā (Vinaya commentary):

1. antamaso tiracchānagatāyapi pārājiko hoti asaṃvāsoti tiracchānagatāyapi methunaṃ dhammaṃ paṭisevitvā pārājiko yeva hotīti daḷhataraṃ sikkhāpadamakāsi. duvidhañhi sikkhāpadaṃ – lokavajjaṃ, paṇṇattivajjañca. tattha yassa sacittakapakkhe cittaṃ akusalameva hoti, taṃ lokavajjaṃ nāma. sesaṃ paṇṇattivajjaṃ. tattha lokavajje anupaññatti uppajjamānā rundhantī dvāraṃ pidahantī sotaṃ pacchindamānā gāḷhataraṃ karontī uppajjati, aññatra adhimānā, aññatra supinantāti ayaṃ pana vītikkamābhāvā abbohārikattā ca vuttā. paṇṇattivajje akate vītikkame uppajjamānā sithilaṃ karontī mocentī dvāraṃ dadamānā aparāparampi anāpattiṃ kurumānā uppajjati, gaṇabhojanaparamparabhojanādīsu anupaññattiyo viya. "antamaso taṅkhaṇikāyapī"ti evarūpā pana kate vītikkame uppannattā paññattigatikāva hoti. idaṃ pana paṭhamasikkhāpadaṃ yasmā lokavajjaṃ, na paṇṇattivajjaṃ, tasmā ayamanupaññatti rundhantī dvāraṃ pidahantī sotaṃ pacchindamānā gāḷhataraṃ karontī uppajji.evaṃ dvepi vatthūni sampiṇḍetvā mūlacchejjavasena daḷhataraṃ katvā paṭhamapārājike paññatte aparampi anupaññattatthāya vajjiputtakavatthu udapādi. tassuppattidassanatthametaṃ vuttaṃ – "evañcidaṃ bhagavatā bhikkhūnaṃ sikkhāpadaṃ paññattaṃ hotī"ti. tassattho – bhagavatā bhikkhūnaṃ idaṃ sikkhāpadaṃ evaṃ paññattaṃ hoti ca idañca aññampi vatthu udapādīti. makkaṭīvatthukathā niṭṭhitā.
2 Likes
  1. Pārājikakaṇḍaṃ

2. Paṭhamapārājikaṃ

Makkaṭīvatthukathā

‘‘Antamaso taṅkhaṇikāyapī’’ti evarūpā pana kate vītikkame uppannattā paññattigatikāva hoti.

1 Like

Thank you very much all. Finally with your help I found the place in Vinaya commentary in Sinhala. Thank you so much. Snowbird, stephen, srkris,

1 Like