Higher ordination during vassa (clearing misconception)

I encountered this misinformation while reading the Britannica Encyclopedia of World Religions.

UPASAMPADA , Buddhist rite of higher ORDINATION, by which a novice becomes a monk, or BHIKZU. Ordination is not necessarily permanent and may be re- peated. A candidate for ordination must be at least 20 years old, have parental consent, be exempt from military ser- vice, be free from debt and from contagious disease, and have received at least some instruction in BUDDHISM.

The ceremony may be performed on any day determined to be auspicious, except during VASSA (varsa), the rainy sea- son retreat. It takes place within the SANCTUARY in the pres- ence of ordained monks. The pabbajja, or ceremony of ordi- nation to the rank of novice, is repeated even if the candidate has undergone it previously. He dons the gar- ments of a monk and repeats the TRIRATNA (“Threefold Ref- uge”) of the BUDDHA, the DHARMA (teaching), and the SANGHA (community of believers) and the 10 precepts (basic rules of ethical conduct for a monk); the candidate then stands be- fore the assembly in the company of his sponsors and is questioned on his fitness to be received into the order. The assembly is questioned three times, and, if there is no objec- tion the candidate is accepted into the PRIESTHOOD. Female novices are ordained nuns (bhikzudjs) in a similar rite.

From what I know, one of the rules is that monks cannot make the determination not to ordain new monks during vassa period. It’s ok to email to the encyclopedia people to ask them to correct this mistake in future editions right?

3 Likes

Personally, I find any encyclopedia of religion to be full of inaccuracies.

You are correct about Pali Vinaya. Could there be something in some other tradition? I notice they are using Sanskrit.

2 Likes