How are you reading EPUB and Kindle books in 2022?

Yes a real app :laughing: Here are the Android and Apple store links.

And here’s the Readera link (Android only)

1 Like

:astonished: Apparently it’s not available in Albania, Angola, Antigua and Barbuda, Armenia, Aruba, Azerbaijan, Belize, Benin, Bosnia-Herzegovina, Botswana, Burkina Faso, Cambodia, Cape Verde, China, Croatia, Cyprus, Fiji, Gabon, Haiti, Iceland, Ivory Coast, Jamaica, Lao People’s Democratic Republic, Macedonia, Mali, Malta, Mauritius, Moldova, Namibia, Nepal, Niger, North Korea, Papua New Guinea, Rwanda, Senegal, Slovenia, Sri Lanka, Tajikistan, Tanzania, Togo, Trinidad and Tobago, Turkmenistan, Uganda, Zambia, Zimbabwe and a few other places. :frowning_face:

1 Like

Please forgive this rusty old man. Why not PDF?

1 Like

Using Google Play Books on Android

1 Like

The main feature of a PDF is that it looks identical on whatever platform you use. So it doesn’t really matter to me what pdf reader someone uses.

EPUB and Kindle are what are known as reflowable formats. This is ideal when the specific layout doesn’t matter but the readability of the text does. Think about looking at (modern) websites on a smartphone. You don’t have to pan left to right to read in the same way you would on a PDF.

2 Likes

Epub has the words itself in the file able to change. So depending on the software or app, one can change the font of the words, the size of it, not limited to the fixed page of the book or document.

Other features pdf has, it has too, like internal hyperlink of table of contents to the location in the book, ability to read out loud etc. There’s much more flexibility and apps to read out loud for epub, mobi etc than pdf.

For pdf, the best read out loud app I have for now is laptop Microsoft Edge, which makes me switched to this as my main internet browser. For mobile, it’s TTS reader by Librera. This reader can read pdf and epub and many more.

I voted 4 options.

Kindle e-ink reader, for when I am in SBS, I don’t have a kindle myself, but it’s available in SBS, mobile is not.

Kindle app on another device: on mobile and laptop. Although for read out loud, laptop is the one to go, use NV Access | Download NVDA for read aloud option.

Laptop apps: as mentioned, Microsoft Edge for pdf, Readaloud by Optimilia Studios available via Microsoft Store. I use this for Epub. I use calibre to convert other formats to Epub to read it. Readaloud app has the ability to become a small box, hovering above everything else and highlight of the sentence currently being read aloud. That is better than many other apps I had tried.

Also: Adobe Digital Editions for library books, and sometimes independent books.

Other mobile epub app:

1. TTS reader by Librera (the best for able to read all sorts of files, including pdf, not that idea for scrolling and reading.)
  2. T2S by He Soft (Middle ground between the two, no time left, hard to get indicator of how much of the book left, but good highlight auto scroll, able to reflow pdf like TTS reader.)
  3. @Voice Aloud Reader (TTS Reader) by Hyperionics Technology (the best for time left to finish the book, and highlighted scroll is one of the best too.)

Not independent books, from their own sources,
4. Kindle
5. Audible (max speed 3.5)
6. Libby (For Library borrowed books, DRM protected) (max speed 3)

Only reading Epub, no voice.
7. EbookDriod by AK2
8. ReadEra by READERA LLC
9. Adobe Digital Editions

For physical books I want read aloud via the camera, just flip the physical page, aim the phone camera properly, read page by page.
10. Kibo by Trestle Lab

Sorry for being so detailed, but really reading via text to speech makes one breeze through the books like a speedster. I trained up to 3.5 speed for audible and times 3 speed for Libby books.

4 Likes

Books app on my iPhone

1 Like

On Android I use Lithium, Moon+ reader, or Read Era

1 Like

I clicked something else because I use the Kindle app on my tablet for Kindle books and OverDrive for epub books. This is mostly because OverDrive is integrated into my local library, and a lot of my epub reading is library books.

2 Likes

Currently using a Kobo Libra H2O.

1 Like

I use a Kindle Paperwhite for EPUB and Kindle books, as well as for a lot of books I’ve only found available in PDF form. Kindle, at least the model I have, is not really ideal for reading PDFs but it’s functional enough.

1 Like

@Snowbird & @NgXinZhao … Thanks for the explanation. It seems this rusty oldman are already outdated. :grin::grin::grin:

2 Likes

Media365 reader and eReader Prestigio for mobile

Calibre for my desktop.

But I rarely read on desktop. Reading my phone is better

1 Like

I use Kindle Oasis. I wish official Buddhist websites would make their ebooks in pdf format available in mobi, azw3 or epub given that this is the e-reader generation. As a samanera who is not supposed to keep many items the kindle device is a very practical solution. Its like having an entire library on my hands.

3 Likes

Little off topic (but it’s my topic!)… Could you mention which ones you are thinking of?

1 Like

Tolino 5.
While I’m on this poll - is there someone around who could explain me how to generate a table-of-contents (using Calibre on office/html) - I’ve converted some text/office files into epub, but it reduces joy-of-reading when a table-of-contents is not there… (if needed we could communicate via pm, email or zoom or something)

Not sure what you mean by this. Are you talking about a table of contents?

If so, the original document really needs (I think) for there to be headings that are marked in a way that Calibre will recognize. That is usually done by headings. Does the document you are trying to convert have headings already?

I think it’s ok to talk a little bit about this in-thread. But the official (I believe) place to get Calibre help is in this forum on MobileRead.

:sweat_smile: … of course: “table-of-contents”, sorry. I should take some meditations on english dictionaries soon… About the “headings”: I’ve seen something about paragraph-formatting with styles “H1” and “H2”, but looking at the html-sources of my texts-to-be-converted it seemed to be an intractable chaos, so I thought some inital direct advices would help to proceed on my own… as usual, earlier… times ago :wink:

1 Like

If you have a word doc (or docx) you would want to just use the built in heading styles to mark the parts that would go into a table of contents. I don’t use MSWord, so I’m not exactly sure how to do it, but if you google msword heading styles that should help.

Here is a test file https://ufile.io/ybl8glnd

Take a look and try running it through Calibre. I believe the default settings should produce a valid table of contents. They do for me.

2 Likes