How do you use SuttaCentral Voice?

Your suggestion is feasible. Anagarika Sabbamitta is the Voice Product Owner. Perhaps you might work together to define this feature?

1 Like

Thank you for the suggestion. We still have to think about how this can be implemented, but just created an issue to start with.

2 Likes

Thank you so much for this, @Robbie, this is a great addition!

I am linking it to this thread which is linked to the SC-Voice Wiki.

9 Likes

<<<<<WANT THIS!!!>>>>>
:upside_down_face: :upside_down_face: :laughing: :nerd_face: :sunglasses:

2 Likes

Try this! Go to settings and select Bhante Sujatoā€™s voice. Right now we have SN 1 and SN 2.1-20, both Pali and English. :+1:

Suttas that havenā€™t been recorded will be played with Aditiā€™s voice for Pali and Amyā€™s for English when Bhante Sujato is selected.

2 Likes

Letā€™s continue here from this discussion:

Ah, thatā€™s what you mean! Thank you for the suggestion.

So far we have an invitation for feedback on the accompanying website to Voice, About Voice, which is linked to if you click the ā€œiā€ button in the upper right corner of Voice. The feedback invitation leads to this thread here on D&D, and for the German version thereā€™s still an email address for feedback.

But it is rarely used, so maybe we should make it more prominent.

4 Likes

So, I finally installed scv-bilara and did my first search The slowGrep really is living up to its nameā€¦ Iā€™ve waited for 15 minutes alreadyā€¦ Any ideas?

3 Likes

Congratulations! :clap: :clap: :clap:

Hmm ā€¦ :thinking: I donā€™t know ā€¦ I donā€™t have very fast internet, but Iā€™ve never waited that long.

You are running scripts/search [search phrase], right?

Maybe @karl_lew has?

1 Like

Yes. The last I tried was scripts/search actually -ll info -tc:sutta

which stalls on I slowGrep(translation/en) rg -c -i -e '\bactually' [...]

2 Likes

This gives me 14 results within a second!

There is no need to add -tc:sutta, as this is what it does by default if no other tipitaka category is specified.

And Iā€™ve never tried out -ll info, which seems to give you a whole lot of information (which I normally donā€™t need).

What happens if you just type scripts/search root of suffering?

2 Likes

Nothing. A blank screen. [Edit: followed eventually by ~ ~ ~ :...skipping... and then it hangs]

2 Likes

Hmm, thatā€™s definitely not enough. I really donā€™t have the skills to advise you any further. Maybe something with the installation didnā€™t quite work out. I am lacking the background knowledge for these things. Hoping that Karl has some idea.

3 Likes

Wow. That is quite unexpected. :thinking:

Two hypotheses:

Hypothesis #1: dependencies are not as expected

Try this and post results to this thread

git update
scripts/env-info

You should see something like this:

ENVIRONMENT VERSION INFORMATION
===============================
   npm --version        => EXPECTED:8.x.x ACTUAL:8.6.0
   node --version       => EXPECTED:v16.x.x ACTUAL:v16.15.0
   rg --version         => EXPECTED:ripgrep 12.x.x ... ACTUAL:ripgrep 12.1.1 (rev 7cb211378a) -SIMD -AVX (compiled) +SIMD +AVX (runtime)
   sudo lsb_release -r  => EXPECTED:Release: 10 ACTUAL:Release: 10

SEARCH TIMES FOR "root of suffering"
====================================
Checking grep...

real    0m1.453s
user    0m0.825s
sys     0m0.626s

Checking ripgrep...

real    0m0.029s
user    0m0.003s
sys     0m0.007s

Hypothesis #2: Data is incomplete

Scv-bilara downloads about 1GB of data, so letā€™s check your data:

du -sh local/*

You should see something like this:

272K    local/api
571M    local/bilara-data
4.0K    local/bls_edit.subl
4.0K    local/bls_edit.vi
147M    local/ebt-data
16K     local/expansion.json
484K    local/memo
648K    local/suidmap-bilara-data.json
644K    local/suidmap-ebt-data.json
4.0K    local/suidmap-test-repo.json
192K    local/test-repo
16K     local/uid_expansion.json

This data must be downloaded initially for offline use. It is immense and comprises the JSON Tipitaka. Since the English version is stable, youā€™ll rarely need to update that information. In contrast, German uses will need to scripts/search --sync regularly. Updating or initializing Tipitaka information can be quite time consuming (with a blank screen). The messaging for data updates should be better.

2 Likes

I am actually using scripts/de-search --sync. It says thereā€™s an error, but does update nevertheless. :smile_cat:

1 Like

Iā€™ve changed the instructions for updating scv-bilara content. The existing scv-bilara options still work, but itā€™s easier for me to maintain a dedicated script. The new script provides better messaging for first-time users.

Ayya @Sabbamitta, if the error bothers you we can investigate. Itā€™s probably just a file that needs to be deleted.

1 Like

Well, if itā€™s not a huge thing, then it would be nice. But please donā€™t put much effort into this. As long as it works neverthelessā€”who cares? :woman_shrugging:

1 Like

46K local/api
602M local/bilara-data
149M local/ebt-data
16K local/expansion.json
35K local/memo
656K local/suidmap-bilara-data.json
16K local/uid_expansion.json

npm --version        => EXPECTED:8.x.x ACTUAL:8.11.0
   node --version       => EXPECTED:v16.x.x ACTUAL:v18.2.0
   rg --version         => EXPECTED:ripgrep 12.x.x ... ACTUAL:ripgrep 13.0.0 -SIMD -AVX (compiled)
scripts/env-info: line 7: sudo: command not found
   sudo lsb_release -r  => EXPECTED:Release: 10 ACTUAL:

Checking grep...
grep: node_modules/scv-esm/node_modules/.cache/esm/.data.blob: binary file matches

real    0m16.779s
user    0m0.680s
sys     0m4.712s

Checking ripgrep...

real    0m0.041s
user    0m0.017s
sys     0m0.026s

Iā€™m not on a Debian / Ubuntu flavor, so I donā€™t have sudo, etc and I installed the prereqs from my own distroā€™s package system rather than using your helpful (but incompatible) install script. I suppose I messed something up trying to follow in your footstepsā€¦ :disappointed: Is node v18 unsupported? I notice youā€™re using v16 specificallyā€¦

2 Likes

Bleeeeehhhā€¦ I tried to install nvm to downgrade to node v16 and completely borked my node install :see_no_evil:

[Edit: okay. It seems that I was able to restore node, but using n or nvm seems out of the question on my particular distro, so Iā€™m stuck with v18]

2 Likes

Okay. Was able to install an Ubuntu virtual machine on top using chroot (actually, the user-land version proot) and was able to use your install script inside the vm. Searching still doesnā€™t work, but your env investigating script now outputs:

npm --version        => EXPECTED:8.x.x ACTUAL:8.11.0
   node --version       => EXPECTED:v16.x.x ACTUAL:v16.15.1
   rg --version         => EXPECTED:ripgrep 12.x.x ... ACTUAL:ripgrep 13.0.0 -SIMD -AVX (compiled)
   sudo lsb_release -r  => EXPECTED:Release: 10 ACTUAL:Release: 22.04

Checking grep...

real    0m25.921s
user    0m0.961s
sys     0m7.940s

Checking ripgrep...

real    0m0.241s
user    0m0.017s
sys     0m0.102s

:person_shrugging:

2 Likes

Thank you for all the hard work. The one thing that caught my eye is that you have ripgrep v13. Scv-bilara doesnā€™t work with ripgrep v13ā€“my unit tests timed out in confirmation of your experience. That is puzzling.

Try this to get ripgrep 12 if you can:

cd /tmp
curl -LO https://github.com/BurntSushi/ripgrep/releases/download/12.1.1/ripgrep_12.1.1_amd64.deb
sudo dpkg -i ripgrep_12.1.1_amd64.deb

In the meantime Iā€™ll puzzle over the rg v13 challenge.

Thanks for finding that!
:pray:

2 Likes