How do you use SuttaCentral Voice?

package architecture (amd64) does not match system (arm64)

I can try to compile rg from source but… that’ll take a little while… have to install cargo / rust first :grimacing:

2 Likes

Hmm. I’m specifically having timeouts on calling rg from within Javascript running Node. I can call rg to find its version but exec of anything more complicated times out.

:face_with_head_bandage:

I wrote a test file that isolates the issue as straight Nodejs code. If you pull the latest scv-bilara, you can run npm run test:test and will fail because your system has ripgrep 13. The tests pass on my machine because I have ripgrep 12. The tests fail on my machine when I run with ripgrep 13.

The nodejs call never returns even though manual execution of the same command returns blazingly fast. :thinking:

2 Likes

Okay. Compiled rg from source.

ENVIRONMENT VERSION INFORMATION
===============================
   npm --version        => EXPECTED:8.x.x ACTUAL:8.9.0
   node --version       => EXPECTED:v16.x.x ACTUAL:v18.2.0
   rg --version         => EXPECTED:ripgrep 12.x.x ... ACTUAL:ripgrep 12.1.1 -SIMD -AVX (compiled)

scripts/env-info: line 7: sudo: command not found       sudo lsb_release -r  => EXPECTED:Release: 10 ACTUAL:

SEARCH TIMES FOR "root of suffering"
====================================
Checking grep...

real    0m19.370s
user    0m0.732s
sys     0m6.838s

Checking ripgrep...

real    0m0.045s
user    0m0.020s
sys     0m0.031s

Search now runs in 3 secs :person_cartwheeling:

DN20:22.13: They rejoice with all the spirits

3 Likes

Congratulations! :tada: :clap:

So you are now able to find the root of suffering?

4 Likes

Oh yes. This little passion project has taught me a lot about suffering

SN42.11:2.13: For desire is the root of suffering.

:laughing:

4 Likes

And 13 is unlucky. Thank you, Venerable. I will continue researching rg 13 issue, which remains perplexing. :knot:

:hourglass:

I have updated the install script to require ripgrep 12. This is a sad state of affairs that I am unable to debug. Nodejs 16 exec does not provide sufficient information about root cause of failure and simply times out.

2 Likes

As was I. Happy to hear that a greater mind than mine was also stumped by this little koan! :slight_smile:

2 Likes

I have created an issue for the BurntSushi team for ripgrep:

Perhaps greater minds will prevail…

:hourglass: 10 minutes later…

Well, guess what. Andrew posted a fix for 2227. ripgrep 13 works now!!!

:man_cartwheeling:

Please get scv-bilara v3.33.0

2 Likes

Wow, that’s fast!

Did so! :white_check_mark:

Thank you! :pray:

1 Like

And to use ripgrep 13:

scripts/install-ripgrep

You may still be on 12. To verify:

ripgrep --version

Ripgrep 13 is even faster.

1 Like

Hmm …

~/dev/scv-bilara:[main]:> ripgrep --version

Command 'ripgrep' not found, did you mean:

command 'zipgrep' from deb unzip (6.0-25ubuntu1)
  command 'sipgrep' from deb sipgrep (2.1.0-2build1)

Try: sudo apt install <deb name>

:thinking:

1 Like

Ah. Sorry:

rg --version
1 Like

Okay, thanks. But it’s not 12 what I have, but ripgrep 11.0.2.

And after running the install script it’s now ripgrep 13.0.0 (rev 7ec2fd51ba) :person_cartwheeling:

And scv-bilara still finds the root of suffering! :white_check_mark:

2 Likes

woohoo! :tada: rg 13 works now! Thanks @karl_lew :slight_smile:

Same results as 12, and indeed slightly faster! woot!

2 Likes

I will increase the maximum download time to 5 hours. I listened to DN33 in English myself for quite some time and thought nobody would ever wish to listen to something longer than three hours. I am quite impressed with your walking meditation fortitude! It is inspiring.

:pray:

3 Likes

:open_mouth: Oh my, that is even longer! I think that might be 7 hours long!
Looks like we’ll need to raise the limit even more. Let’s not upload that until you are done with DN33 and we can save D&D space. Let me know when you are ready…

2 Likes

Well, then you should be able to find a player that works. VLC media player for example works fine, and it’s free.

3 Likes

Just an update. I have managed to download both DN16 and DN33 in English, Brian narration. :anjal:

3 Likes

BTW, Bhante Ānandajoti has made a recording of DN16. Here is the first part. He has reconstructed all of the repetitions. Going through all the times Ven. Ānanda was given “the hint” in full really drives home how much he wasn’t paying attention.

5 Likes

You need a 4 week retreat to listen to that …? :slightly_smiling_face:

It certainly must have taken him a long time to record it. That can be an inspiring experience too.

2 Likes