How happy are you?

Dear Linda,
after some searching … It is SN 55. 40: Nandiya Sutta: To Nandiya

And this a part of what I was referring to:

The Blessed One said, "And how, Nandiya, does a disciple of the noble ones live heedlessly? There is the case where a disciple of the noble ones is endowed with verified confidence in the Awakened One: ‘Indeed, the Blessed One is worthy and rightly self-awakened, consummate in knowledge & conduct, well-gone, an expert with regard to the world, unexcelled as a trainer for those people fit to be tamed, the Teacher of divine & human beings, awakened, blessed.’ Content with that verified confidence in the Awakened One, he does not exert himself further in solitude by day or seclusion by night. For him, living thus heedlessly, there is no joy. There being no joy, there is no rapture. There being no rapture, there is no serenity. There being no serenity, he dwells in pain. When pained, the mind does not become centered. When the mind is uncentered, phenomena do not become manifest. When phenomena are not manifest, he is reckoned simply as one who dwells heedlessly.

Shalom! :smiling_face:

2 Likes

Happy : blessed, blissful, can’t complain, captivated, cheerful, contented, delighted, ecstatic, elated, gay(?), glad, gratified, intoxicated, jolly, joyful, laughing, on cloud nine, peaceful, pleasant, pleased .

Now , if you become arahant will above happiness shall be your state all the time ?

@Thanuttamo

Dear Bhante,
Beautiful! Thanks so much for taking the time to find this :anjal:

1 Like

Don’t know as I am not an Arahant.
But Buddha said that Nibbana is the highest happiness.
So I took that on the face value.
If someone say that s/he is 100% happy, I take them to be Arahants.
It appears in this survey at least 3 people said they are 100% happy.
I am not sure what they mean by that.

1 Like

Strange!
Someone has changed my happiness level from 50 to 80.
Are any Deva’s meddling the result of this survey?
By the way, I increase it to 60%

:grinning:

What is happiness for a layman from a buddhism perspective?

From common (worldly) perspective, happiness is having access to sensual pleasures and freedom from pain in the present and future time.

1 Like

Exellent question, and the answer for this buddhist will be; available teachers who present true teachings.

Then you must be very happy being born as a human in this period where Buddha Dhamma Sangha still exists :pray:

1 Like

Maybe they were just trying to cheer you up. :yum:

1 Like

Maybe he just became an Arahanth Bhikkhuni! :laughing:.

The gender is questionable in this statement :grinning:

1 Like

You meant Arahant Bhikkhuni’s are only 60% happy?