How is SC Offline supposed to work?

Phew, that’s so good to hear!

1 Like

I set the PWA function in place yesterday on my computer (Chrome), and it works perfectly!

2 Likes

Hi everyone, I successfully downloaded sutta Central offline from the webpage on my android chrome browser (chrome 65, android marshmallow) but can’t use the feature offline. I understand there should be an icon on my apps list? It doesn’t appear to be showing. I’ve tried deleting the download, reinstalling and restarting my phone but there’s still nothing. Any tips?

1 Like

To get the app icon, try clearing cache and navigating to suttacentral.net again, should get a prompt to add the app.

1 Like

Thanks for the tip - it worked! I now have the icon on my homepage.
… However, I’m now not able to bring up the suttas when I’m offline. It says ‘network error’. I have downloaded them several times via the app and it’s downloaded successfully. Any advice?

1 Like

Sorry to hear about your troubles. Once downloaded it should simply work the same as you were online (but only with the English translations). The icon is not absolutely necessary. You can also go in your browser to suttacentral.net and it should work.

I have it working with the same Chrome on Android 5.1.1. but I cannot try on Marshmallow. If anybody has a Marshmallow, can you please try and report your finding here?

1 Like

Hmmm… I’m very sorry to report another problem here.

I was so exited yesterday when I managed to upgrade my Android device so that SC is now properly displayed, and I also could download the (English) offline version. When I first tried to read in offline mode, I think with no. 1 of the Majjhima Nikaya, it worked fine; I could even see the English / Pali side by side.

Later that day I tried to access the Dhammapada in offline mode, and I couldn’t get there. I just got the message ‘network error’, and when exploring a bit further the same thing is happening with many suttas / versions in English or Pali. Sometimes I get Sujato’s translation, but not Bodhi’s or Horner’s or whatever is still available, sometimes it is the other way around—there is no consistency whatsoever, even within the same Nikaya or Vagga. It might even be different at different times; in order to tell this I would have to try many times and keep record of the different suttas and the results.

And this happens indeed not only on my tablet but on my laptop too. Probably I can access different texts on the different devices at different times.

Any idea what I could do?

1 Like

I tried it out on mine and what you would need to do is clear the download history (button on the offline page) and do the download again. Although it says you can do other things in the mean time, I would recommend just to leave it to it’s own for a while and check back later. I remember you had an error the first time you did it and you might not have cleared the download history after that. But in my experience you also have to have a fairly good connection to download without errors.

1 Like

Thanks! Will do that as soon as I get the opportunity.

2 Likes

Thanks for that. My offline SC wasn’t working again (“Network Error”), but clearing the Download History, and re-downloading again worked. I’m using Chromium in Linux.

2 Likes

On my laptop offline SC is now working fine! :heart_eyes:

But unfortunately on my tablet (Android 5.1.1, with Chrome) it doesn’t. Although the download proceeded without an error it still shows me only “network error” when trying to use it offline. :disappointed_relieved:

1 Like

Yay!

Sorry to hear that. Can you share an error report?

2 Likes

Very sorry—I don’t know where to look for an error report.

Hello everyone! seems it’s the only topic in google search about problems with sc offline. i got new samsung flip4 and surprisingly sc offine doesnt work offline on this device (chrome and samsung browser). It worked perfectly on all my prev xiaomi smartphones and windows laptops.

if you’ll meet same problem with network error, or successfull download, but not working offline mode try following

after downloading the archive, try using site for some time ONline. especially all paths to main sutta nikayas.

1.e.g. open “basket of discorses” - long discourses - digha nikaya - any chapter - any sutta
2. do that for all nikayas that you’re going to use.
3. be ready that it’ll not fix everything and you’ll need to go online sometimes to fix new issues.

not sure how it works, chapter-wide, or lower, but anyways it’s the only workaround that i’ve found.

tried different browsers as well.

2 Likes