How many years of practice for the buddha-to-be

I’m interested in the method and the time it took for the buddha-to-be to destroy progressively the three poisons (craving/unnecessary-desires, aversion/ill-will, delusion/ignorance).
I believe the method he used is a very practical use (another topic) of the 8FP.

Now regarding the time it took him, I’m trying to get an idea how long he practiced between leaving home and becoming free from dukkha.
DN 16 indicates that the buddha-to-be was 29 when he left home.
Can someone indicates places in the EBTs where the following is mentioned:

• how long he stayed with his two teachers
  • how long he went into ascetic practices
  • how long between the end of these ascetic practices and his night of awakening
  • that he taught for 45 years
  • that he died at 80
    that allowed us to say today that he was 35 when he get rid of dukkha.

Read this topic “Animisa Locana Bodhi Poojāwa – A Prelude to Acts of Gratitude” where it is mentioned that the Bodhisatta took about 60 trillion years to become a Buddha.

1 Like

:slight_smile: I am curious why you are curious about this information. How could it help or encourage you or others?

Will one seek to compare how long it took his students, to become arahants?

Sooo many variables, in any life…

Just some thoughts.

1 Like

Many aeons of world “expansion and contraction” is often cited. Probably best understood as immeasurable. That’s why we are thankful the Buddha and dhamma is alive in the world we are born into. We can follow his path rather than try to do it ourselves. It is more time-efficiet! :slight_smile:

I have a difficult time with this article. I’m not sure how one can take literally all of the numbers, deductions and extrapolations and come up with these conclusions. It doesn’t fit with my understanding of science and myth and it seems like a Malukyaputta way of thinking.

Sometimes i take the numbers this way: why should i worry about how much time it takes, to improve this life? Perhaps i just need to do it! Meditate, maintain sila, clean up the construct which is my vehicle towards liberation now, with diligence patience and maybe even some metta towards this life too.

2 Likes

You may want to ask question at the forum “Questions About Puredhamma Posts” to clear your doubts regarding the figure arrived. Kindly note that you need to register as a member to post comments.

Note that the Puredhamma website has posted erroneous information about the teachings of the Buddha and their members are active on this forum.

You may find this website with erroneous information but others may not. Your view and others may not be the same. Give others a chance to learn and you will also get a chance.

Much metta.

A chance to learn what?

A chance to learn what have not be learned.

Some of these teachings haven’t been ever described this way before. It’s essentially neo-Mahayana

These are the lost Teaching of the Buddha that are being recovered and it is only at the Pure Dhamma website.

Can you elaborate?

Thank you for your asking to elaborate.

For a start, the Paticca Samuppāda (PS) has only been described using the three lifetime model. Even Buddhaghosa was unable to describe more than that. At Pure Dhamma website you get to know four types of PS cycles including the Three lifetime model.

The four types of Paticca Samuppāda are:

1. Avyākata Paticca Samuppāda for Vipāka Viññāna (Kammicaly Neutral PS cycle)

2. Akusala-Mula Paticca Samuppāda (Three Lifetime model)

3. Kusala-Mula Paticca Samuppāda (Wholesome PS Cycle)

4. Akusala-Mula Pavutti (or Pravurthi) Paticca Samuppaāda (Phenomena that occur within a lifespan PS cycle)

The Noble Eightfold Path are “Right View, Right Thought, Right Speech, Right Action, Right Livelihood, Right Effort, Right Mindfulness, and Rightt Concentration” which everyone knows.

But what does the word “Right” means?

If you know the word “Right” in Pali which is “sammā”, it would be a world apart.

sammā means “san + ” where “san” is the good and bad things we acquire and “” means removal.

So “sammā” means removal of “san which are the three bad roots of “lobha, dosa and moha”. Knowing of the word “sammā” will always reminds you to remove “san” and when done repeatedly, it becomes your ingrain habit and also your character.

There are many more words that uses the word “san” at the website here.

The greatest and the most serious wrong done for the words “anicca and anatta” would be the wrong translation by using Sanskrit meaning which do not represent the original Pali word. Have a look at the website here.

If anyone wish to attain to Sotapatti stage, only at this website you are able to attain it (but of course you need the right conditions - must be a tihetuka (born with three good roots - alobha, adosa, and amoha) and lots of effort). Read these topics:

Bhāvanā (Meditation)
Living Dhamma
Three Marks of Existence – English Discourses

A lot more for you to read at the website.

Much metta.

:thinking: :skull_and_crossbones:

Anyway you have not attain to that stage yet, why not give it a try!

1 Like

You do know that, for instance, Ñāṇavīra Thera’s “A Note on Patticcasamuppaada” has been widely criticized and discredited…?
I am not doctrinally locked in view, but the non-orthodox views of Patticcasamuppaada are mostly limited to Westerners whom have radically reinterpretation it and are very fringe for a reason.

Oh-my.

1 Like

Only a sotapanna or someone higher attained could confirm or refute the attainment of another person as sotapanna and doing so over an internet forum is just outlandish. Seems to me like you are by semi-proxy declaring yourself to at least have sotapanna attainment, which would be violating forum rules.

@Mat doesn’t deserve that comment even if you were offended by his emojis, which I found more innocuous than the strong linguistic reproachment worthy of your ”bold misguided statement” that sotapanna can only be attain via a specific website.

Correct me if I am wrong here…

2 Likes

It most certainly would be, so I hope that is not what kstan1122 is stating in the post.

2 Likes