How much should lay people keep themselves informed about what's happening in samsara?

I don’t think samsara is around us but rather arises within us. So all the standard guidelines apply. If voting agitates your mind then don’t do it. It won’t be the end of the world.

1 Like

Then you have the decision power when the two parties closing towards the equilibrium.
Presently I do not have any power does not matter when one party always win.

I never said being a hero or activist was foolish or bad. All I said was one is not obligated to be one. Your continual strawmanning of my position despite my insisting you stop means our conversation is over. We’ve derailed the OP’s topic enough anyway (my apologies, OP).

And for the record, good on you for helping the homeless. :slightly_smiling_face:

For those keeping score at home it took 14 responses in this thread for us to reach the reductio ad hitlerum argument :roll_eyes:

Hard to not feel like politics is inherently toxic and contentious sometimes.

3 Likes

Maybe you do have power if the political-party in the community - whose policies you endorse - win the election? Why not support the party that wants to provide as much care as they can to the disabled, elderly, and poor - even though they have one every election for 20 years - and not vote for the party (Neo-Nazi’s) who don’t want to provide extra services to the disabled, elderly and, poor? If a political party has enjoyed a great deal of success and have been reelected many times, does that mean they are power-hungry? Perhaps they want to ‘empower’ a needy group of people in our community and they keep on winning because those who elect them see the benefit that flows from providing extra services and support to the disabled, elderly and, poor in the community? Can you envision the possibility that this is the reason for their success and not the pursuit of personal power? Is that possible? And, if so, why vote for the 2nd party - the Neo-Nazi’s - who hate the influence of Asian cultures in society - including Buddhism. Think it through! :heart_eyes:

You know for sure that politician are for themselves not for the poor, elderly and disabled.
What politicians need is power bugger the community.
Politicians may come to the power with lot of goodwill but they will be soon converted by Mara.
That is why I post the following topic.

You posted (below):

OK, I take this as a guideline for political decision making. I combine this with another one of your guidelines for political decision making (below):

“A person with a family, their own business and who is involved in their community has a virtual obligation to … protect their people and interests.”

This is not about ‘you’ this is about whether a Buddhist should be aware of whats going on in Samsara, whether they should vote and, if so, what criterion they should use in their political decision making.

Your not a straw-man your a real-live Buddhist and the guidelines (above) are yours. They are your heart-felt advice on good political decision making. Many people in Nazi Germany used your political guidelines in voting for the Nazi Party. They decided that the Nazi’s were good for the economy - they were creating jobs - business was booming, so they went to the polls and voted for the Nazi’s to help them to look after their ‘people’. Their families were better off when the Nazi’s were building roads and putting unemployed workers into gainful employment. The people who voted for them also heard the shameful and dangerous anti-semitic propaganda being promulgated by the Nazi’s - they may have even have heard of the persecutions - and they still voted for them because their form of (employment) - and their personal prosperity - was the the criterion they used for deciding who to vote for. This was the opening piece of advice you gave:

[quote="Mkoll]

“The title of the OP is an excellent question with no easy answer. At least, I’d say it depends on the individual and their [occupation]. Also, many monastics pay a great deal of attention to current events so I think we could apply this question to them as well. Is one truly a renunciate when one’s mind seeks out and dwells in worldly events?”

The 2nd half of this comment (above) seems to suggest that monastics are practicing Bad-Buddhism and are not truly ‘renounced’ if they have a conscience regarding social/environmental issues - that are bringing more-and-more people and other sentient-beings into extreme danger. They are mis-guided if they attempt to halt the destruction and act as ‘heroes’ and social activists. The Buddha also participated in social-activism - he tried to change society for the better. He put his ‘wellbeing’ on-the-line when he stood between 2 armies about to kill each other and advised they resolve their conflict through negotiation - instead of blood. Was the Buddha behaving like a false-renunciate by expressing concern for the welfare of these people who intended to kill each other over a property-rights issue?

Why are the circumstances - the political choices - that ordinary (good) people made in Nazi Germany - that lead to their winning an election - be considered as a ‘reductio ad absurdum’ argument? It seems like a reasonable and sane thing to consider if we want to avoid the same kinds of ‘madness’ and ‘obscenity’ happening again? Perhaps, you know better? :heart_eyes:

Apparently you missed the part where I said our conversation is over.

Feel free to ignore every foolish thing I have said - what a sad and misinformed Buddhist I must be to think carefully about my role in ‘society at large’ - for the greater good - and about my responsibilities to those who are not ‘my people’.

Friendly reminder that we are straying from the OP.

1 Like

I don’t see how I have strayed from the opening piece? I thought the opening question was whether a lay-Buddhist should keep themselves informed about what’s happening in Samsara - and how this should influence their political decisions - whether they should vote or not etc. Is climate-change happening in this little-corner of Samsara? Are social-activists - including monks and nuns - involved in trying to change these terrible circumstances - or not? What should we do as lay-Buddhists with regard to these political, environmental and, social issues?

There are many politicians on both sides of politics who are also inspired by ‘Malala’ they try to help her in her heroic social-activism and not out of a desire for power - but out of a social-conscience. Just because you are a politician does not automatically make you into an power-hungry control-freak. Furthermore, identifying as a Buddhist may not make someone capable of critical thinking and good political decision making. Whether someone is power-hungry - or not - has to do with their intentions and motivations that finds expression through the way they live their lives - correct?

Here is an exert from a recent post by ‘Bhikku Bodhi’ - a renunciate and a social-activist:

"People of faith know that health care is a right, and we want to make sure that everyone has the resources they need to have health coverage in 2018. Health coverage is affordable and easy to sign up for – but you MUST sign up by December 15!

Visit healthcare.gov, calling 1-800-318-2596, or get local help by visiting localhelp.healthcare.gov to shop for plans and sign up."

My question is: would I be misguided if I voted for a political party that supported ‘universal health care’ for all - if they were the party in power?

1 Like

The question was about consuming news media as a means of being informed.

There are plenty of places on the internet to debate politics. The Watercooler is for lighthearted discussion. The discussion, although important, to some, seems to me to have strayed from the question and the guidelines for the Watercooler.

This is my personal opinion. If this post turns yellow then I am wearing my official mod hat.

4 Likes

Who is paying the bill?
Health care is always mishandled.
What health care does is make drug companies rich.

Being a Buddhist with an interest in free and open expression regarding important issues I appreciate the expression of your personal opinion. I am light-hearted in expressing my heart-felt views on this thread. I am saddened to hear it if what I have said has given you a heavy-heart. Maybe you could share a good joke to lighten the atmosphere if it is troubling you? What does wearing a mod-hat and turning yellow mean?

The Watercooler is a place to support each other and make connections, not to prove a point or for heated debate. Threads that stray from this category’s purpose will be moved, closed or deleted.

A message from your patient moderator

5 Likes

What if I am a cancer patient - or my child is - and I need healthcare coverage that a political party takes away from me. What if thousands of people are in need of healthcare coverage to treat their illnesses and it is taken away from them by a government - in power. What if this is (actually) happening - as it is in the U.S.A - should I vote for the political party who has implemented this policy?

Yes, but keep your fingers cross.

@laurence, @SarathW1
I too think your posts are way off the OP. Would you please start your own thread?

IMO the OP posed a important question for Buddhist voters. Also I have put some effort into responding with some perspective that I think are important for politically engaged Buddhists. So I’m going to “blow my own horn” and say that I experience your posts as distracting from a worthy dialog.

@Pasanna - I guess you can’t ban individuals from a single thread?

2 Likes