How the Translation Memory in Bilara works?

Dear friends,

I wonder how/when the Translation Memory is updated? Do I need to publish or just with the commit (i mean the green check, not sure if it is a real commit) is ok?

I translated my first one yesterday, but I cannot see any suggestions today for the exact same sentence. The first sutta is not published yet.

Thanks!

1 Like

In theory it should be updated instantly. But something seems to be broken at the moment.

I see SN 3.3 in the GitHub repository, and 2 or 3 segments of SN 3.25. Normally you should definitely see a TM suggestion when simply clicking in the title segment of a new Sutta of the same collection.

(As an aside, I also see characters like \ and straight quotes " in your files. Those should not be there, as they interfere with the code. @carmi has certainly some advise on those.)

You can also post such questions in the Bilara user thread. Mostly, they are also relevant for other translators.

Can you please tell me where do you see a \? I didn’t use it, maybe is something about my keyboard (computer) configuration.

And I can’t find other quotes than this one on my keyboard, I have to do some research about it… sorry

1 Like

It’s easier to see the \ characters in the GitHub repository: bilara-data/translation/es/maggatr/sutta/sn/sn3/sn3.3_translation-es-maggatr.json at unpublished · suttacentral/bilara-data · GitHub. In Bilara they don’t show, but they go away when you delete the invisible “character” that comes before the character following the \ in GitHub. They sometimes come in when you copy/paste things from elsewhere.

For quote marks and diacriticals and such things, it depends on your operating system. I am using a Linux system, here I can define a “compose” key that is then used to build such special characters. For other systems there has been some discussion here already a while ago, and I don’t know what are the most up-to-date solutions. Maybe Carmi has some advise on that too.

There’s also some information on typographically correct quotation marks here, including a table with the correct typography in various languages, including Spanish.

Thanks, I was checking right now my Spanish orthography book for an alternative, but the primary quotes on that table for Spanish are even more difficult to write with the keyboard i guess, and I have never used them even in written Spanish… I’ll try to find the easiest way with this keyboard.

1 Like

I’m sure @carmi has something helpful, for that same question has already come up earlier with other translators.

I have discovered where the \ come from. Every time I write a straight quote, the result is \ plus the quote… I better fix this before continue.

Thanks!

1 Like

Great, wonderful! :tada:

Ok, I can write everything without any configuration :slight_smile:

«This is the quote that is not very much seen outside printed books, but is cool», “and this is the english one, also used in Spanish”.

Great! Just check how it looks in GitHub with respects to \, and then all seems good.

Except of course that there is still no translation memory, I guess.

Yes, this looks nice. When you publish your translation it will first appear in the web, but later it might also be published in a book, so you should be prepared! :wink:

When you type straight quotes here on the forum, the forum software automatically transforms them into this.

Good luck with your work! :+1: :+1:

2 Likes

That’s right, straight double quotations should be avoided and are automatically escaped in Bilara to prevent issues with the file format the translations are stored in, which is JSON.

This might be helpful Use of quotation marks in the different languages - EU Vocabularies - Publications Office of the EU

Bilara uses unicode. There are different ways to enter unicode characters depending on your system Unicode input - Wikipedia
There are also web apps like UniChar

Bhante Sujato has included a “little details” section in the style guide SuttaCentral translation style guide · suttacentral/bilara-data Wiki · GitHub

1 Like