How to download all the Tipitaka from SuttaCentral.net?

Good morning, everyone,

I would like to know if there is a way to download all the contents of suttacentral.net in pdf, or even better in .txt, easily (without resorting to copy and paste).

I would like to be able to read the content of the site offline, including the Vinaya and Abhidamma, possibly on e-readers. Is there any way to do this?

1 Like

Yes. It’s possible. See below.

PS welcome to the forum! Also, a tip - you can use the search bar to view past posts about a topic, often you will find the answers you are looking for that way.

1 Like

Hi @Luca,

Welcome to the D&D forum!

Enjoy the multiple resources here available: may these be of assistance along the path.

Should you have any questions about the forum, feel free to contact the @moderators.

With Metta,
Ric
On behalf of the moderators

1 Like

Until the official publication project is finished, you can find ebooks of Bhante Sujato’s translations here:

Also the John Ireland Itivuttaka:

And Ayya Soma’s Therigatha:

Have you looked yet on the Github repo for SC?

I think there have also been other posts here asking the same question. Might want to try the search.

1 Like

Thank you very much, that was what I wanted, although much of the rest of the whole Tipitaka is missing.

As for the Github repository I searched within it, but could not find the files containing the Tipitaka, only system files from the website.

As for searching the forum for old topics I already found a similar discussion, but it was not useful as no solution to the problem was provided, but I will try to search for other conversations, maybe something will come up.

2 Likes

Thank you for the welcome, you are kind.

1 Like

Thank you for your reply, but I have already tried this method without success. I don’t know if it’s because I don’t understand how the system works, but after downloading all the files, pressing the “Add to Home screen” button, nothing happens, and therefore I can’t use the site in offline mode.

Besides as it is clearly explained on that page, offline would be available only Suttapitaka.

This might be nearly what you’re after
https://thebuddhaswords.net/home/index.html
The translations are mostly Bhante Sujato’s for the suttas and if you can’t get the PWA to work, then you can download the site as a zip.

I’ve had zero luck with SC offline

5 Likes

Hmmmm Worked for me!

Not to complain but just to confirm @Luca’s experience, it doesn’t always work for me either. The browser actually decides how much memory can be used for PWA’s, so if for some reason your browser thinks it’s too big (and the whole site is really big!) then it may not work. It’s not as straightforward as just having a folder of the contents on your device.

3 Likes