How to find a sutta on SuttaCentral based on Pali Texts published probably physically by PTS

Dear SuttaCentral D&D Members. :slight_smile:

I’d like to ask you for help regarding finding on suttacentral.net suttas that are abbreviated by Pali Texts published books.

Here is an example from Ajahn Brahmali text on Jhana and Lokuttara jjhana:

Is there a way to navigate to these suttas in refferences online or one needs this physical books to get to them? (As I understand the refferences are to actualy physical books with suttas)

If no, are there PDF’s of this books or can they be got only in physical copies? If I could only get a name or number of a sutta I could get to them easily on SuttaCentral, but as far as I understand the abbreviations in this text (and many more I encountered) are to pages of physical volumes rather than sutta numbers? I might be mistaken.

Sorry if this is a newbie quesion. I know there are different numerations sometimes on suttacentral and PTS, but I think this reffers to physical books which I don’t own thats why I ask. Please forgive me my ignorance.

Btw. the article by Ajahn Brahmali is very interseting that’s why I would love to delve deeper into suttas reffered to. :pray: :slight_smile:

Thank you! :anjal:

2 Likes

You’re in luck!

http://pts.ticao.de/

And a different version of the same code

https://benmneb.github.io/pts-converter/

12 Likes

Thank you so much Bhante for links and solution. :anjal: This is most useful and a perfect tool to this situation, and it will help me a lot in my study. I hope this will be useful to other forum members as well. :slight_smile:

With gratitude! :anjal: :slight_smile:

2 Likes

BTW, the smaller numbers in the citations are line numbers. I’m not aware of any way to know these.

Also, the Wisdom editions have the PTS page numbers embedded.

5 Likes

Thank you very much! :slight_smile: I was just discovering that through trial and error. :nerd_face: Everything is clear now and I’ve got the suttas refferred to. :slight_smile: This is really fun and opens new area of wholesome exploration.

Sadhu Sadhu Sadhu to those who created these tools! And thank you once again for sharing this most useful information here Bhante. :anjal:

3 Likes

I was also wondering, maybe links to these tools or this tool itself could be put somewhere on SuttaCentral.net for example in page about Numbering or Abbreviations? It was the place I intuitively started looking for such converter first.

Bhante @Sujato and @Gillian (as a mod) I would like to put this to your awareness for consideration. :slight_smile: Please forgive me for taking your precious time, but I thought it might be useful for benefit of other people who might have similar situation.

With Metta :yellow_heart: :anjal:

2 Likes

This is on our 2-do list for a long time. If you have a specific suggestion, best comment on this issue. (We have been waiting for a specific set of upgrades relating to search that have been long-promised for our database; these updates have now landed and improvement on search is our next priority.)

3 Likes

Can someone please find on SuttaCentral the suttas from which the following passages come from? Thanks.

2 Likes

The first one is here (found thanks to the Pāḷi. The ref was useless)

And here is the second (the verse numbers are in the VRI Tipiṭaka App):

3 Likes