How to use New Sutta Central?

I am trying to locate Karniya Metta Sutta in new Sutta central.
In Access to Insight, I can locate in five seconds. Just type the name of the sutta in the search button. However, I can’t do the same in New Sutta Central.
It seems to be SN1.8 as per Access to Insight.
https://www.accesstoinsight.org/ati/tipitaka/kn/snp/snp.1.08.amar.html

2 Likes

SN and SNP are two different things :slight_smile:
SNP (sutta nipata), is where you’ll find the Kariniya Metta
SN is Samyutta nikaya, which is sometimes called connected and here called ‘linked’.

In the draw go to sutta>minor> Kuddhakanikaya> Sutta Nipata scroll down to 1.8

Sorry I don’t know why your search didn’t work.

5 Likes

Thank you Venerable @Pasanna!
In addition to that, we are trying to roll out a new update soon where you can also search for the number of a sutta. But yes, searching for the name should also work. You can also go to /kp9, which is also the Metta Sutta.

1 Like

Why SC has only Mills English translation (Metta Sutta)?

1 Like

There are various translations:

https://suttacentral.net/kp9/en/anandajoti by Ven. Anandajoti
https://suttacentral.net/snp1.8/en/mills by Mills
And many translations in other languages.
The old website only had the possibility to add one translation per language. The new website has the possibility to have multiple translations per language, but of course somebody has to actually put them on.

If you know something about HTML coding and would like to add some other translations, I can send you instructions on what to do.

2 Likes

Thank you, Ayya. Now I am a computer illiterate even though I used to write computer programmes in 1983.:grinning:

1 Like

I hope you enjoy this music video.

1 Like

Yes, I remember that time. I used to write in Pascal (and before that Basic). But at least you then have the right mindset that can pick these things up quickly :wink:

2 Likes

Yes. I can relate to this.
I wanted to put my effort into something permanent.:grinning:

2 Likes

Sorry to disappoint you, but … nothing is permanent :smile:

3 Likes

Agree.
That is why I am seeking Nibbana.:grinning:

2 Likes

I like the way the new layout invites us to find there’s always more to explore!

2 Likes

Ha. I still have working code in Pascal that I wrote in the 80s.
And of course there are important Fortran codes in use in science that have their origins in the 60s.

4 Likes

And a computer that reads 12" floppy disks too :smile: ?

3 Likes

Venerable @vimala
My wife and I have been struggling to switch between translations when browsing SuttaCentral in our Android phones.
We can see the drop list with the different languages and names of translators but when we tap on the language / translation we’re interested it does not go to that translation.
Is this something you are aware or are able to replicate?
Should I be browsing it with desktop mode forced?

1 Like

So far I don’t think we have seen this bug. Can I ask you to confirm the browser and OS type and version?

I have seen this bug on an iPhone 10 before. You need to click on the translation you want and then do it again for some reason (so click twice in total). See if that works.

1 Like

,and 32k memory (Wang 2200)!!
I did initial punch card as well.

2 Likes

If anyone is interested, my dad is throwing out old Prolog manuals from the 70’s :wink:

1 Like

I still keep the hard copies of my computer programmes.
I think it could be valued by my grandchildren. (perhaps)