How to use this site

I was just on Sutta Central reading the Dhammapada (Dhp 1) translation by Anandajoti and there are words greyed out. i.e. “their quality is” and “follows”. I’m not sure what it means when the words are greyed out. I’m assuming that it is instead of using brackets, to insert words or phrases not found in the original in order to clarify the translation. I looked around for a page that might answer my question but didn’t see anything.

I was going to quote the verses in my question here, but I don’t know how to do it besides a basic cut and paste which isn’t like how other people insert sutta quotes. I’ve been on this site for several years and have never been able to figure this out as well as other functions. How does one learn these things?

Thank you for enduring my ignorance!

5 Likes

Yes, you’re right! These are textual information tags. Their meaning is explained here: suttacentral.net/zz1/zz/test—I found a link to this page at suttacentral.net/methodology.

The greyed out words in Ānandajoti’s translation are of the .add type:

contains letters, words, or phrases inserted in the source text by an author, scribe, or a previous annotator or corrector.

How I do it is with the > symbol. I simply type > in a new line and then paste the quotation. Then usually I include a link to the text. For example, this is what I type:

>Mind precedes thoughts, mind is their chief, their quality is made by mind
>
>https://suttacentral.net/dhp1-20/en/anandajoti

And this is what I get:

Mind precedes thoughts, mind is their chief, their quality is made by mind

SuttaCentral

You can even make quotes inside quotes! To do that use >>. For example, I type

> This is a quote
>> And this a quote inside a quote

And I get:

This is a quote

And this a quote inside a quote

One at a time? :laughing:

PS: to get the horizontal bars I have been using, simply type --- on a new line. :wink:

6 Likes

Thanks, Robbie!

How is this done:

4 Likes

The only thing I know is pasting a link such as https://suttacentral.net/sn5.10/en/sujato in a separate line:

https://suttacentral.net/sn5.10/en/sujato

Sadly for now the oneboxes don’t share the relevant information as they do in your screenshot. But that seems to be a problem with SuttaCentral:

6 Likes

Easy! Thanks!

4 Likes

Much thanks @Robbie!

Re:

Yes, this has been a rolling along for a while. The social sharing image was attended to in an update a little while ago (as per Update SC's social sharing image · Issue #1400 · suttacentral/suttacentral · GitHub), but sorting out the actual info given in the onebox is still pending (Update SC's social sharing information · Issue #1486 · suttacentral/suttacentral · GitHub), although I was led to believe it did now work on Facebook (I don’t use it, myself, so wouldn’t know).

5 Likes

It’s actually hard to insert sutta quotes. Here is a sutta quote:

SN42.11:2.11: For desire is the root of suffering.

And THIS is what I had to type:

> [SN42.11:2.11](https://suttacentral.net/sn42.11/en/sujato#sn42.11:2.11): For desire is the root of suffering.

As you can see, one might querulously quibble without qualm that such a quote leads to quite a quandary.

If you have Linux and are happy with command line stuff, you can use scv-bilara, which automatically creates quote links. For the above quote, one merely types:

./scripts/search -om1 root of suffering

The scv-bilara program is actually what Voice itself uses for search. I regularly use scv-bilara for studying the EBTs. Anagarika @Sabbamitta also uses it for her ongoing translation work.

At this point we do not have a nice, web interface to generate quote links as scv-bilara does. We’d like to have that capability, but we haven’t yet figured out how the user interface would look like. We do have the functionality in scv-bilara.

4 Likes

You can also select the part you want to make a link and then click the link icon and paste in the url. If you don’t like clicking icons, the universal Ctrl K shortcut also works to get the link dialog box.

5 Likes